spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jwodin
join:2008-05-16
Carlsbad, NM

jwodin

Looking for reliable Satellite service in SE NM, $500/mo

I'm at a remote industrial site in south-eastern NM, looking for broadband access (mostly SQL queries going back and forth to CA, but also some file transfer, and hopefully SSH). My only option seems to be satellite (no data over CDMA available, no fiber available, etc.). Does anyone have any advice on a reliable satellite service provider? I initially found HughesNet, but people seem dissatisfied with them - I certainly can't be FAP'd, as there will be sensitive equipment relying on this connection.

WildBlue?
SkyCasters?
VSAT systems?

I'm looking to spend about $500 a month.

Thanks
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

What about a T1? They are generally within your budget, often times a lot less if you are closer so since you aren't (assuming that since you can't get other options) you may be back up to about $500. A T1 would be your best bet given the equipment you say is riding on the connection. I just don't see satellite as reliable enough. Check out this forum for pricing quotes: »ISPs. Be prepared to give them the full address of the location and the NPA-NXX (area code and exchange) portions of your phone number so they can get accurate quotes.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to jwodin

Premium Member

to jwodin
If you can afford $500, definitely look at T1's. Speakeasy's currently promo is $359/mo.
jwodin
Carlsbad, NM

jwodin

Hi there - I'm fairly naive here. A T1 would come over a DSL line? If I plug the local phone number into the Windstream website (the local provider), they don't offer DSL. Or, are you guys talking about some other connection?

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken

MVM

A T1 is not the same as DSL. Just because you can't get DSL doesn't mean anything when it comes to getting a T1.
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04 to jwodin

Premium Member

to jwodin
Hmm, I guess you really are remote.

I used the Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce as an address at »shopfort1.com

They say that phone number is serviced out of "VALOR TELECOMM OF TEXAS" and prices for a full T1 start over $700 per month. However, a "fractional" T1 might be a lot less; I didn't run that search.

You should probably hire a telecom consultant for a couple of days to help you find the most appropriate solution for your location. As noted, for mission critical stuff satellite can be an iffy proposition -- even TV and government transmissions are spotty in bad weather.

-- B
jwodin
Carlsbad, NM

jwodin

Yes, but we're out here:

»maps.google.com/maps?f=q ··· t=h&z=17

which is way outside of Carlsbad. I think satellite is the only option. Any opinions on some high-reliability sat. providers?

Jesse
B04
Premium Member

B04

Premium Member

No... you've identified the big players and my personal experience has been that satellite Internet sucks on a good day and is to be avoided, even for mere web browsing.

Surely you have a telephone company servicing your site? 'Cause if you do, you can almost certainly get a fractional T1 if you really want; but it can cost you. Another option, particularly if your transmission needs are only intermittent, is ISDN. If you don't use it that often, it won't cost much, and it's a LOT more reliable than satellite. (It's also offered over the phone lines.)

-- B

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to jwodin

MVM

to jwodin
How much traffic and what sort of latency do you need? SQL database queries tend to be lots of small chunks so high Satellite latency is going to kill you. If you don't need real time access to the remote database you could look into caching the DB locally and replicating/syncing it over night. In that case latency does not really matter.

As others posted you are probably better off getting a T1 which gives you 1500 kbps symmetric service with SLA - important for business critical access.

T1 is able to use repeaters so it is not distance sensitive like DSL.

/tom

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Cabal

Premium Member

to Cabal
said by Cabal:

If you can afford $500, definitely look at T1's. Speakeasy's currently promo is $359/mo.
Gotta watch those lowball priced "T1 lines"
lots of them are actually bonded DSL lines.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by dvd536:

said by Cabal:

Gotta watch those lowball priced "T1 lines"
lots of them are actually bonded DSL lines.
Exactly what speakeasy's are

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one to jwodin

Anon

to jwodin
How reliable is your current POTS lines. How much data are you transferring. An ISDN may work just fine and be more affordable than a T1.
jwodin
Carlsbad, NM

jwodin

Unfortunately, our POTS lines are behind a PBX. I've been told by certain powers that be that this kills the DSL option. Sounds like ISDN is still in though. We'd be transferring 10 kilobyte bursts at 0.5-1Hz. This is just to send instrument data to a remote SQL server farm in CA. There is some bidirectional communication from CA, but this is very small in comparison.
jwodin

jwodin to no_one

to no_one
Unfortunately, our POTS lines are behind a PBX. I've been told by powers that be that this kills the DSL option. However, maybe ISDN is still good?

We need to transfer approximately 10 kilobytes at 0.5-1 Hz rate to a remote SQL server farm in CA. There will be some bi-directional communication to the local SQL server in NM, however this will be small in comparison.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to jwodin

MVM

to jwodin
ISDN requires a separate phone line to be used, so the PBX won't be a concern. I think 128k or so is the fastest you can get unless you get "bonded" service, but even then, it's not "high speed". For your usage though, I'll bet it will do fine.

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one to jwodin

Anon

to jwodin
It all depends on how far you are from the CO. Everything has limits. ISDN may unlike a T1 run off a remote pairgain. Both unlike DSL can have repeaters and technology is still getting better so depends on the line Length quality and technology used.
I asked my wife what is around there and she said gems. So is this mining or military. Military there is always a way. Just guessing what is in the middle of nowhere.
I love the desolate southwest. Then all of a sudden on a mountain or valley there is a building nondescript with some cars around it. Usually metal just sort of smaller warehouse like. Nothing really gives away its purpose. Not a house for living just there.
no_one

no_one to jwodin

Anon

to jwodin
Oh and welcome to DSLReports. Have a look around and stay awhile.

RockyBB
Premium Member
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB to jwodin

Premium Member

to jwodin
I'm a telecom agent, and can help you. If you would like some guidance, click on my name in blue to the left, then fill in the yellow box with your contact info.
B04
Premium Member

B04 to jwodin

Premium Member

to jwodin
said by jwodin:

We need to transfer approximately 10 kilobytes at 0.5-1 Hz rate to a remote SQL server farm in CA. There will be some bi-directional communication to the local SQL server in NM, however this will be small in comparison.
If I read that right (what's with the hertz?) your needs can be more than met by dial-up POTS modems, which is way more reliable than satellite and much easier to deploy and maintain than ISDN.

Why not just do it that way? A couple of modems with failover, and you're done.

-- B
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

The hertz probably means every second to half second. So in other words he wants to transfer 10 to 20 kilobytes every second. That's actually not doable by a 56K modem but would be pretty close if you bonded them (if that's even possible). From what I last remember about 56K, I never got over 3-5K download and that was at the absolute best of times. And that's not even taking into account the slower upload (which I've heard is no longer limited to 33.6K IIRC). Given the bandwidth needs I think ISDN may be the better choice here.
B04
Premium Member

B04

Premium Member

Oh, thanks. However, I note that this is SQL data and/or queries, so I'd bet it's pretty compressible too...

Let us know how it goes, OP. FYI Rocky's a long time and respected contributor here; he's not your average drive-by solicitor, so you might want to consider his offer? (As I said above, a telecom consultant is probably worth the short term investment.)

-- B