how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ender7074

join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

Charter executives are a pack of idiots

For the years I worked for the company, this was the level of intelligence we experienced out of the high level execs. Those idiots would come in with a horrible idea, try to sugar coat it, and force it down the employee's and customer's throats. The idiot with the idea would implement it, get fired, and walk with millions in their little severence packages written into their contracts. It seems that the cycle continues over there.

Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO

Here's what I don't get. As discussion yesterday prompted me to go through Comcast's financials a bit more carefully to find out whether their web portal either turns a profit or is a drag on the bottom line (short answer: it's not entirely clear, but it probably turns a small profit). Link.

I know Charter's in trouble and everything, but honestly, I can't see how pissing off all of their customers like this will make a big difference to the company's bottom line.

If you're an MSO, the overwhelming majority of your income comes from the monthly charges for TV, Internet, and (now) VoIP. Ad revenue is like a little icing on the cake.

I guess it's a sign of just how desperate they are that they'll leap at any opportunity to add a little to the bottom line, no matter how half-baked the idea is.
--
My opinions are my own. No-one else would want them!

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

said by Corydon:

I guess it's a sign of just how desperate they are that they'll leap at any opportunity to add a little to the bottom line, no matter how half-baked the idea is.
I wouldn't call the idea half-baked considering a majority of consumers don't understand or care what's going on. While Charter's financial situation isn't as strong as many other companies, I doubt they're doing this out of desperation. Obviously, everything is on the table that generates revenue, is within legal acceptability, and customers tolerate. I think you'll see many other ISPs begin similar practices.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 edit
reply to Corydon

quote:
I'd bet that within two years, DNS Redirection ads and behavioral advertising are employed by every major ISP.

Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO

I guess it's just really galling to me that we're being sold down the river for something that in the grand scheme of things is not all that much of a moneymaker for these ISPs.
--
My opinions are my own. No-one else would want them!

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

Honestly, all I care about is that it's made completely transparent to the user with a working way to opt-out if they're interested.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

said by Karl Bode:

Honestly, all I care about is that it's made completely transparent to the user with a working way to opt-out if they're interested.
I can't draw the line there, Karl. The ISP is given the trust of its subscribers. You do you banking there. You file your taxes there. You exchange email with your lawyer there. You search Google to figure out ways to hide the bodies.

The Internet becomes quite a trivial invention indeed if you can't trust your service provider. Anything that puts the ISP at odds with that trust is a conflict of interest.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
HTTP is the new Bandwidth Hog...