uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Schremp blowing smoke; he should have said this

When asked why consumers don't see lower prices if their browsing history is generating additional revenue, Schremp had this to say:

(Customers) appreciate the notion that ads that are being served are attuned to their interests or potential interests. We view it the same way as offering faster Internet speeds. This is no different. It's about taking the latest technology and applying it as a way to be useful to our customers.
What he should have said:
"The ad revenue helps offset growing costs and subsequently keeps prices from rising faster than they normally would."

And the idea that customers get money back from ad revenue is absurd on its face and only suggested by people who can't think clearly.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

braynes
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Waterville, ME

Hello
If some store says L.L. bean had someone follow you around in the store and recorded everything you look at and then sell this to any and all comers to call, mail and email you, would you consider this right?

Why is this a way to “offset growing costs” for who the stockholders, the asshole that came up with it?
Bruce

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
united state
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by braynes:

Why is this a way to “offset growing costs” for who the stockholders, the asshole that came up with it?
Offsetting growing costs is a good thing and helps minimize service cost increases. Stockholders don't really care either way as long as the bottom line continues to grow at a decent rate. The "asshole" that came up with the idea will most likely receive a decent bonus if enough revenue is generated.

Sounds like a win all around except for the few people that are whining about their "privacy" being invaded.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

said by openbox9:

Sounds like a win all around except for the few people that are whining about their "privacy" being invaded.
...he said, posting under a psuedonym...
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
HTTP is the new Bandwidth Hog...

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
united state
kudos:2

1 edit

My name is Dave. Have fun.

Edit: I'll even complete that with my last name....Emery. Have fun again.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

said by openbox9:

My name is Dave. Have fun.

Edit: I'll even complete that with my last name....Emery. Have fun again.
+5 for being a good sport!
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
HTTP is the new Bandwidth Hog...