uniqs

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

Wireless something?

Ok, we have a dsl modem that has wireless. However, the modem is in the house and we need the signal in the office about 150 feet away. The house is wrapped in the foil wrapping, so the signal doesn't really get out of the house. We need something that can connect with an ethernet cable to the modem (we'll drill a hole in the house wall) and be outside under the eaves of the house (to protect it) and give a wireless signal to the office.

What the heck do I call this? I've looked at wireless switches, repeaters, etc, but they do the wireless the other way.

InGreenwood

Anon

Dlink sells quite a few outdoor WAP models

»www.dlink.com/products/? ··· &pid=303

This one can be a bridge, a AP or WDS, and can get it's power over the ethernet line so you do not need an outlet outside. Get two, set one up as a AP on the house under the eaves and one up as a bridge on the office under the eaves and you should be fine.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to beck

to beck
Ubiquity NanoStation if you can find one in stock or the Deliberant DLB2112.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to beck

Premium Member

to beck
You're simply looking for a Wireless Access Point or WAP for short.

There are a lot of models designed for certain things, and the link InGreenwood posted should give you an idea.

How far are the buildings apart (meaning from the very edge of the roof/eves to the office's roof/eves)? I don't know where you live, and WiFi is very susceptible to the weather; if you live in a rainy/snowy/super hot climate, I'd really recommend burying the cable or stringing rooftop to rooftop if at all feasible.

beck
MVM
On The Road

beck

MVM

Thank you all!

The D-link one is a bit too expensive. But now I know what I'm looking for.

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic

Premium Member

You might be better off just running the antenna outside and leave the WAP inside protected from the elements. Is the antenna on the modem removeable? You may only have to replace the existing one.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to beck

to beck
said by beck:

Thank you all!

The D-link one is a bit too expensive. But now I know what I'm looking for.
Here, approx. $80
»www.google.com/products? ··· ostation

For a few bucks more, you can put dd-wrt on it. Not that you really need to as it will work fine with stock OS.

Or $115
»www.deliberant.com/estor ··· dio.aspx

Hang it in minutes and you're done.

beck
MVM
On The Road

beck

MVM

And 2 months later...

We have a deliberant AP installed and it's working.

Just had to work through 2 cordless phones that were on the same channel, one unfiltered phone line, damn DSL modem that didn't want to talk nice.

I have to say that the deliberant device simply sat and waited and worked. It was easy to modify things to work around other devices that couldn't be changed.

If you have no clue, just make sure that you don't have someone holding it where you think you will mount it, and touching the grounding screw.
Expand your moderator at work