join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to DBreaka

to DBreaka

Re: Is Bell Obligated to Provide me Demarcation Outlet?

said by DBreaka:

Had it been mandated by the CRTC that if I request to have a dermarc with an RJ-11 outlet that it be provided at no cost?
No.

Take the advice in that other thread, wire up your own phone jack(s) and do whatever it is you want to do. Here are some ideas from an old I posted a few years back: »Incoming telephone
Al43
join:2008-04-25
London, ON

Al43

I'm interested in running a seperate dsl line too.

Is it possible to purchase a POTS splitter in Ontario?

MacGyver, in your other thread you mentioned using a regular filter....does that mean it's possible to use a single line filter that's intended to filter a single phone in the place of a POTS splitter?

I've read about using cat5 cable in the place of phone line for dsl and I'm just wondering how that works...do you run it from the unfiltered jack to a regular phone jack and then use phone line to the modem?

MacGyver, impressive wiring job, thanks for sharing that it makes a lot of things so much clearer.

MacGyver

Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

said by Al43:

MacGyver, in your other thread you mentioned using a regular filter....does that mean it's possible to use a single line filter that's intended to filter a single phone in the place of a POTS splitter?
I've been using that filter in the photos for three years now without any trouble.
I've read about using cat5 cable in the place of phone line for dsl and I'm just wondering how that works...do you run it from the unfiltered jack to a regular phone jack and then use phone line to the modem?
You can use CAT5 for telephone, just pick the same coloured wires at each end. I prefer to use CAT3 which has two pairs of wires whereas CAT5 has four pairs. CAT3 is a bit cheaper, but if you have tons of CAT5 around, there's no reason you can't use that.

I'm glad that the photos I posted were of some help to you. FYI, some dollar stores can be great sources of telephone jacks and other wiring goodies.
Al43
London, ON

Al43

Thanks MacGyver, so that filter in the photos is actually a filter that's meant for one phone but it works for all your phones if you put it before your punchdown block?

I'm still not clear on using cat5 or cat3 cable...how is the cable terminated? can you put rj11 plugs directly on to the cat cable?

MacGyver

Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

Yup, that is an Excelsus Z-200SM filter, a filter that is used for one telephone device. But myself and others have used it and other similar filters in the same way. Honestly, until this thread, it's been doing it's thing for years without me giving it a second thought. It's nice to not have to worry about filtering each phone in the house because we have a LOT of phone devices: Two cordless phones with four handsets, two corded phones, a fax machine, two ExpressVu receivers, a DSL modem, and a dialup faxmodem. Plus my wife will be starting a home business soon and that means another two lines coming in to the house! BTW, I sync at 5 megs which is the maximum I'm entitled to under my current contract with Sympatico.

When terminating cable, you can either terminate it on a punch block or a screw terminal. The common phone jacks you get almost anywhere have screw terminals, which are convenient for the average homeowner. That's what I used in the first example before I moved to a punch block.
Al43
London, ON

Al43

Thanks for all the info MacGyver....now to find a decent punchblock and I'll tackle this project.
Al43

1 recommendation

Al43 to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Thanks for all your help MacGyver...here's what I have now.

I ran cat3 cable from my office to the demark and terminated both ends in wall jacks.

Then I butchered an old phone cord and wired it into the wall jack at my demarc and plugged the other end into my demarc box.

I plugged a phone cable into the same wall jack and the other end into the line side of the filter.

Then it was just a matter of plugging the phone cable from the punch block into the filter.

Stuffed the cables up behind the board to make it look a little neater and I was done.

As you can see it made a nice difference in my stats. Now I'd like to find somewhere to purchase or salvage a Bix block and tidy things up a bit more. Thanks again.

Bicephale
join:2005-09-24
canada

Bicephale

Congratulations!

According to these numbers, you've moved your
house closer to the C.O. by about 656 meters...

MacGyver

Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to Al43

to Al43
Nice work!