how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

milano0

join:2008-05-17

1 edit

Is U-Verse better than Comcast?

This morning my door bell rang, it was an AT&T technician who wanted to tell me that our telephone service would be interrupted for the next few days because they are installing something called U-Verse. When I asked what that was he said it's a new way of getting TV, Internet and phone service and they are upgrading the wiring in our area to fiber optic. I asked if it was the same thing as FIOS and excitedly he said yes that this was AT&T's answer to FIOS.
Is this a fact? I asked if the internet would be faster than it is currently but he said the internet would stay at 6Mbps which is the current top DSL speed, Comcast is faster than that. I hate Comcast and would love to leave but is this U-Verse a good alternative? Are there any better things about it over Comcast? Your help and info is appreciated.

Airwolf7
Premium
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY
kudos:1

1 edit
There is a forum for AT&T U-verse here at Broadband Reports and the people there probably can tell you all that you want to know.

»AT&T U-verse

I hear that U-verse will be having a 10/1 speed tier.

Edit: I asked the Mods to move your thread to the AT&T U-verse forum because they can better answer your questions there.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to milano0
said by milano0:

This morning my door bell rang, it was an AT&T technician who wanted to tell me that our telephone service would be interrupted for the next few days because they are installing something called U-Verse. When I asked what that was he said it's a new way of getting TV, Internet and phone service and they are upgrading the wiring in our area to fiber optic. I asked if it was the same thing as FIOS and excitedly he said yes that this was AT&T's answer to FIOS.
Is this a fact? I asked if the internet would be faster than it is currently but he said the internet would stay at 6Mbps which is the current top DSL speed, Comcast is faster than that. I hate Comcast and would love to leave but is this U-Verse a good alternative? Are there any better things about it over Comcast? Your help and info is appreciated.
U-Verse for most customers is FTTN: Fiber To The Node, not all the way to your house (FTTH: Fiber To The Home, which is what FiOS is). Basically, you must be within 3000 ft (as the telephone lines run) of the new Fiber-fed Node (called a VRAD).

As far as the TV, I think it is a superior product to Comcast. It does have limitations (stream limits and HD quality are two of the biggest concerns, but different people have different takes on those matters).

Internet has 4 tier options: 1.5 Mbps down/1 Mbps up (Express), 3 Mbps down/1 Mbps up (Pro), 6 Mbps down/1 Mbps up (Elite), and 10 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up (Max). It is on Interleaved path, so latency is just slightly slower as opposed to regular DSL which is on Fast-path. Basically only hardcore First Person Shooter online gamers would notice.

Phone can be delivered over traditional POTS, or can be VoIP, known as U-Verse Voice. Or you can go for other VoIP providers as well, such as Vonage or AT&T CallVantage.

»uverse.att.com -- AT&T's U-Verse Homepage

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1
reply to milano0
So in other words, No... no it's not even able to hold a candle to the capacity of FIOS.

w4ncr

join:2000-10-27
You are so correct, U-VERSE IS NO FIOS
AT&T is telling people it is but liars they are as it is definitely not--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by w4ncr:

AT&T hasn't told anyone that Uverse is the same as FiOS. Some of their reps, who don't understand the differences, may be making that claim; but that probably reflects a lack of proper training more than an official position.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

smokarz

join:2006-07-24
West Hartford, CT
said by NormanS:

said by w4ncr:

AT&T hasn't told anyone that Uverse is the same as FiOS. Some of their reps, who don't understand the differences, may be making that claim; but that probably reflects a lack of proper training more than an official position.
Their reps might be improperly trained, but if you'd asked ATT execs, they will claim that Uverse is way SUPERIOR to FIOS.

w4ncr

join:2000-10-27
lol

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to smokarz
said by smokarz:

Their reps might be improperly trained, but if you'd asked ATT execs, they will claim that Uverse is way SUPERIOR to FIOS.
Which isn't to say that is is the exact same thing as FiOS.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA
reply to smokarz
said by smokarz:

said by NormanS:

said by smokearz:

Maybe they mean "superiorly worse" than FIOS.

ggarcia

join:2002-10-21
united state
reply to milano0
With me there was pros and cons.
1) Uverse had a more powerful DVR - downside, had to reboot it like once a week.
2) With Uverse I was able to schedule recordings over the web
3) At the time, uverse offered free cable boxes for my other TV's.
4) Uverse SD quality is better than comcast.
6) Comcast's HD quality is better than Uverse.
7) Uverse cable boxes can as as hubs. If your using coax for your uverse boxes you can plug in your network device into the cat5e jack on the uverse box.
8) With Comcast i find the digital channels volume is much lower than the analog channels.
9) With Uverse it was a bit irriating seeing when our family hit the max number of streams that it offered you to bump off another TV. With 4 TV's in the house we hit this problem often, especially when recording shows at the same time with the DVR.

If Uverse was available where i live now, i think would still choose Uverse over Comcast.

PeteB
Premium
O Fallon, IL
reply to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

U-Verse for most customers is FTTN: Fiber To The Node, not all the way to your house (FTTH: Fiber To The Home, which is what FiOS is). Basically, you must be within 3000 ft (as the telephone lines run) of the new Fiber-fed Node (called a VRAD).

Internet...is on Interleaved path, so latency is just slightly slower as opposed to regular DSL which is on Fast-path. Basically only hardcore First Person Shooter online gamers would notice.
Of course, none of the above applies to FTTP locations.

Also, the only real difference between FTTH and FTTP is that the installation of FTTH is more involved, unless the FTTP house pre-wire lacks cat-5 or better.
--
GOING: Roadrunner, Brighthouse cable; Melbourne, Florida
COMING: AT&T FTTP POTS & U-verse internet, DirecTV; O'Fallon, Illinois
AT&T CallVantage (D-Link), NETGEAR, APC & Geek Squad UPS

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
FTTH (Fiber To The Home) and FTTP (Fiber To The Premise) are usually used interchangeably/they basically mean the same thing. Your Home is your Premise, usually. FiOS is FTTH/P, and some of the lucky U-Verse people, such as PeteB here, get U-Verse over FTTH/P as well. For now, AT&T is not uncapping the FTTH/P internet connection speeds, and they have not announced plans to do so, either. At the same time, one has to believe they will some day, the only question then is "When is 'some day'?"

FTTN (Fiber To The Node) is the "normal" U-Verse customer, and that is where the 3000' and Interleaved path all come into play.

PeteB: You do not have to have AT&T POTS with U-Verse. U-Verse will work just fine dry. CallVantage will work just fine over your U-Verse Internet connection for your Voice Calls. I only mention that as I read your signature file and it notes you are adding AT&T POTS. CallVantage even has a $5/month discount for "bundling" with U-Verse as well. Gotta call CallVantage Customer Service to get the discount, though: 866-596-8464.

PeteB
Premium
O Fallon, IL
said by ILpt4U:

FTTH (Fiber To The Home) and FTTP (Fiber To The Premise) are usually used interchangeably/they basically mean the same thing. Your Home is your Premise, usually.
I guess the distinction in my mind has been whether the fiber optic side actually penetrates the wall of your house. In our apartment on Okinawa, what I now know to call the ONT was actually sitting on top of our VoIP gateway (the D-Link CallVantage box) next to what I thought at the time was just a modem or some kind of authenticator (I'm a physics guy and a pilot, not an IT or computer science guy!), and our NETGEAR router, all on our desk. (Let me know if you're curious to hear about the speed tests I did with that.)

said by ILpt4U:

For now, AT&T is not uncapping the FTTH/P internet connection speeds, and they have not announced plans to do so, either. At the same time, one has to believe they will some day, the only question then is "When is 'some day'?"

FTTN (Fiber To The Node) is the "normal" U-Verse customer, and that is where the 3000' and Interleaved path all come into play.
You just answered the speed capping question, don't you think?

When I was in the Navy, this kind of situation is what I coined as being under "the law of equal suffering".

When you think of it in terms of a national business trying to offer these two variations of the same product under one name, it makes even more sense than my "happy sailor" wit.

said by ILpt4U:

PeteB: You do not have to have AT&T POTS with U-Verse. U-Verse will work just fine dry. CallVantage will work just fine over your U-Verse Internet connection for your Voice Calls. I only mention that as I read your signature file and it notes you are adding AT&T POTS.
I know; the POTS is just for the security system monitoring and as a backup for 911 service.

Hee hee, it's also nice to be able to autodial with Dial Idol over POTS after the East coast broadcast, and then switch over to our Washington CallVantage number to vote with the West coast! It's not worth paying for POTS for that alone, but as a side benefit, it's a fun "cheat"!
--
GOING: Roadrunner, Brighthouse cable; Melbourne, Florida
COMING: AT&T FTTP POTS & U-verse internet, DirecTV; O'Fallon, Illinois
AT&T CallVantage (D-Link), NETGEAR, APC & Geek Squad UPS