Search similar:

uniqs
unoriginal
Premium Member
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

unoriginal

Premium Member

Is Sonic going to cut off Supernews aka Giganews access?

»sonic.net/features/news/

I was looking around the website the other day and noticed that supernews.sonic.net is no longer listed on the above page. Are we going to lose access to Giganews anytime soon? I really like their looong retention time for when I miss something on news.sonic.net.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

With Supernew's acquisition by Giganews, we're a little bit out in the cold. They've provided us with service, but with less retention than the retail product which they sell. At this point, we haven't decided what we're going to elect to do.

-Dane
fimple
join:2008-06-05

fimple

Sorry for the delayed response, but I too hope that you keep providing your users with the Supernews/Giganews service. Even without the full retail 200-day retention period, the current modified Giganews service is still far better than the prior Supernews (and news.sonic.net) in terms of the number of groups, retention period and completeness (often the old Supernews had the exact same incompletes as news.sonic.net).

I always tell my friends about the backup Supernews server as a reason why they should switch to Sonic. It's a major selling point because they no longer need or think about needing a premium news server.

If the cost of retaining Supernews is an issue, maybe you can negotiate a lower cost by allowing an even further modification of the Giganews service they provide. Even if they only provide a one or two month retention period, it would still be far superior to the prior Supernews. Thanks for reading.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

Thanks for your feedback.

-Dane
unoriginal
Premium Member
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

unoriginal

Premium Member

If you do cut Giganews is there any chance that Sonic might replace it with someone else such as Newshosting or Usenetserver instead?