spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

john_895

join:2002-07-26
Clear Lake, IA

[IA] Massive Mediacom Net Outage? (Iowa)

It appears that there is a large outage that has been going on all morning - anyone able to get on or know what happened?

pabster

join:2001-12-09
Waterloo, IA
Yep, there is a massive outage. When the phone lines are busy, it is a giveaway. I think they just take them off the hook.

No idea on the cause or estimated repair time.

Thank god for EVDO :P

Turbocpe
Premium
join:2001-12-22
IA
reply to john_895
There was an outage here in DSM lasting from 1AM - 3AM. They said they were relocating fiber.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
No problem in Fort Dodge.

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
reply to john_895
When managed to get through there is a message that mentions several cities that "may be experiencing connectivity issues"

How about no connectivity!

EvilFetus

@mcleodusa.net
reply to john_895
Out in Dubuque as well, since around 8:30-9:00 AM.

jrz22

join:2004-09-01
Ankeny, IA
reply to john_895
This is what I got for a message from our consultant in Waterloo:

Subject: Mediacom is having biggest outage they have ever had...

Some fiber optic cable has been cut somewhere - most, if not all, of Iowa is down.

I think it is mostly Waterloo though.

Turbocpe
Premium
join:2001-12-22
IA
reply to john_895
The outage in DSM from 1AM - 3AM must have been unrelated, although they did say it was fiber relocation. Since 3AM, DSM has been operational, atleast my area has been.

v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life

join:2002-11-09

1 edit
reply to john_895
Hiawatha is out.
its not just out its OFF
you dont even get a 10.x.x address on your router. its just all zero's.

but we are ok further down the road (3 miles) here at my work in cedar rapids

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to john_895
Fine in Marion. My line monitor shows no recent outages.

Last I knew, the headend in Waterloo/CF area served Dubuque and Mason city and branches off of that line.

I believe Hiawatha is served by the CR headend since it only a couple miles from the Mediacom building in CR. Probably another issue.
--
Save water...drink beer!

Shimmtone

@trinity-health.org
reply to john_895
I just heard there is an Optical Repeater (or something like that) that is out somewhere, I have also been told that some towns in Minnesota are also affected.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to Turbocpe
No outage in Urbandale between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. last night, nor any outages today, for that matter. I was online discussing the season finales of Bones and House so I'd definitely know. It must have just been Des Moines and not its suburbs - thank goodness. The last outage I had was...hmm. Over a month and a half.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life

join:2002-11-09
reply to drslash
actually slash where i live is maybe 1 mile if that from the office in CR.
i am borderline hiawatha/CR where as further down the road is the heart of hiawatha.

i went home on lunch and couldnt get on the net started rebooting everyhting and noticed i wasnt getting an IP address. the modem is fine its blinking like its connected but its not leasing out an IP to my router.

so i assumed after reading this hiawatha was out, so maybe we aren't and its all on my end.

i'll know more when i get home cuz if i dont have an IP then,, well,,,,,,
--
System Specs
Intel Conroe Q6600 Quad Core @3.6ghz Water Cooled
Asus P5N-E SLI - 2gb Gslill 6400 HZ -Modded Audigy2 ZS w/ 3 AD8620 OPAMPS chips 8800 GTX 768meg
Logitech Z5300 THX 5.1 spk
Dell 2407 LCD and Dell 2007 LCD

john_895

Clear Lake, IA
reply to john_895
Still down in Mason City, and have been all day. Hopefully it's back up sometime tonight. *crosses fingers*

akawaldojr

join:2004-10-23
Dubuque, IA
reply to john_895
almsot all of eastern iowa, some minn, some in illinois all out. wee fun. when I called they had a list of like 20 cities out.

jk0

@jk0.org
reply to john_895
All of Hazel Green, WI is out as well. I find it kind of funny how all of these cities depend on one trunk line with no form of disaster recovery. :|

Barnstormer

join:2007-12-12
Waverly, IA
reply to pabster
said by pabster:

Yep, there is a massive outage. When the phone lines are busy, it is a giveaway. I think they just take them off the hook.

No idea on the cause or estimated repair time.

Thank god for EVDO :P
Agreed. Verizon EVDO rules!!!

Been down in Waverly all day. Modem isn't even getting that generic 10.* address it usually gives me when it won't get an external IP.

Iowa VIP

join:2006-11-17
Dubuque, IA
reply to john_895
I was out all day in Dubuque but we are back up and running now. It's frustrating that MediaCom #'s give you a busy signal for hours on end. It would be nice to at least be able to get through to hear a recording or something.

bringga

join:2001-06-03
Brookings, SD
reply to john_895
In Brookings, SD it went down 1pm Sunday afternoon and mine came back up Monday morning at 6am. Tuesdays local paper said that many people in Brookings are still without internet. Just glad I have mine.

btw the tech support guy told me that there was a cut fiber somewhere in SD and another issue also that was causing issues.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to jk0
said by jk0 :

All of Hazel Green, WI is out as well. I find it kind of funny how all of these cities depend on one trunk line with no form of disaster recovery. :|
For HSD? No, For Phone? Yes...

HSD Is an entertainment item thus no redundancy... For the phones in many areas there is redundancy...

Never lost HSD In Fort Dodge tho.

Get a Credit

@mchsi.com
reply to john_895

I called MediaCom about the outage and they offered a one day credit. I didn't even have to ask. Pretty hard getting through to them though.

Iowa VIP

join:2006-11-17
Dubuque, IA
reply to jk0
said by jk0 :

There was a little blurb in the Dubuque Paper today. The mediacom rep blamed AT+T for the outage. "It wasn't a fiber cut but some cicuitry that had to be replaced in an area where we rely on AT&T for service support. We interface with AT&T at several points in the state and this was part of their network."

jk0

@jk0.org
Yeah, I saw that. It shouldn't matter. There should never be a single point of failure like this. It's happened time and time again and Mediacom never seems to learn from it. It's completely and utterly unacceptable.

Mediacom needs to, at the very least, offer some sort of dial backup solution when disasters like this occur. And these "day's" worth of service credits are pathetic compared to the amount of aggravation these events put people through. If I were paying for a Business plan it would have been canceled as soon as I could get through to their phone support.

john_895

Clear Lake, IA
reply to john_895
I agree 100%. This is 2008 - connectivity to the internet is no longer strictly "entertainment" for a great many users.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to jk0
"Mediacom needs to, at the very least, offer some sort of dial backup solution when disasters like this occur. And these "day's" worth of service credits are pathetic compared to the amount of aggravation these events put people through. If I were paying for a Business plan it would have been canceled as soon as I could get through to their phone support."

And you'd be switching to which provider? Qwest nuked an entire major line on 100th Street in Urbandale a few years back, and there were places of business without phone or internet for over a day. I mean, I understand the frustration, but Qwest doesn't really do any better than Mediacom around here in terms of things like this. If something major goes wrong, you're going to be screwed no matter what.
--

jk0

@jk0.org
said by danawhitaker:

And you'd be switching to which provider? Qwest nuked an entire major line on 100th Street in Urbandale a few years back, and there were places of business without phone or internet for over a day. I mean, I understand the frustration, but Qwest doesn't really do any better than Mediacom around here in terms of things like this. If something major goes wrong, you're going to be screwed no matter what.
We're not discussing Qwest here. The point is that these things continue to happen on a fairly regular basis and Mediacom is not doing a thing about it. Have a look at Sonic.net. Other ISPs like Mediacom should be taking lessons.

BAINCH
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY
kudos:11
reply to jk0
said by jk0 :

Yeah, I saw that. It shouldn't matter. There should never be a single point of failure like this. It's happened time and time again and Mediacom never seems to learn from it. It's completely and utterly unacceptable.
There was not a single point of failure. AT&T lost connectivity on the SONET ring after multiple failures occurred. We were not the only ones affected, but probably the biggest due to our penetration in the affected geographies. Although multi-failure outages are rare, they do occur and are particularly difficult to engineer around. We are working on additional options to layer more redundancy into the network in a way that won't adversely affect latency or pricing.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to jk0
My point was simply that Mediacom is not the only ISP that these things happen with. I'm sure every ISP has a customer with a horror story about a prolonged outage they consider unacceptable. No provider is perfect. I had a look at Sonic.net - which is not an available provider in my area, so I don't really ever hear anything about it. I'm not sure what specifically I should be looking for. I've heard very good things about them in the past from a few people. I bet you could dig up customers who've had a horrible experience with them or had outages that lasted a while. Sometimes things just *happen*, and no one likes it, and yes, it's an inconvenience. I've had plenty of phone/DSL outages because my line got cut 5-6 times. I didn't like it, but that's just the way it was. When I'm paying $70 a month for service I have no expectation that someone's going to be in my backyard at 3 a.m. fixing the line. Even on standard business DSL or cable I wouldn't expect that kind of service. I would only expect those kinds of repairs on the higher-end business tiers that cost in the hundreds and upwards per month.
--

Anon9

@mchsi.com
said by danawhitaker:

I've had plenty of phone/DSL outages because my line got cut 5-6 times.
Big difference versus your line cutting cut and nearly an entire state's service getting cut!!1

Benenstein

join:2007-04-29
Lincoln, IL
reply to john_895
i heard that a main fiber optic cable was cut. all of illinois was out for a while