All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

jk0
@jk0.org

jk0 to Iowa VIP

Anon

to Iowa VIP

Re: [IA] Massive Mediacom Net Outage? (Iowa)

Yeah, I saw that. It shouldn't matter. There should never be a single point of failure like this. It's happened time and time again and Mediacom never seems to learn from it. It's completely and utterly unacceptable.

Mediacom needs to, at the very least, offer some sort of dial backup solution when disasters like this occur. And these "day's" worth of service credits are pathetic compared to the amount of aggravation these events put people through. If I were paying for a Business plan it would have been canceled as soon as I could get through to their phone support.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

"Mediacom needs to, at the very least, offer some sort of dial backup solution when disasters like this occur. And these "day's" worth of service credits are pathetic compared to the amount of aggravation these events put people through. If I were paying for a Business plan it would have been canceled as soon as I could get through to their phone support."

And you'd be switching to which provider? Qwest nuked an entire major line on 100th Street in Urbandale a few years back, and there were places of business without phone or internet for over a day. I mean, I understand the frustration, but Qwest doesn't really do any better than Mediacom around here in terms of things like this. If something major goes wrong, you're going to be screwed no matter what.

jk0
@jk0.org

jk0

Anon

said by danawhitaker:

And you'd be switching to which provider? Qwest nuked an entire major line on 100th Street in Urbandale a few years back, and there were places of business without phone or internet for over a day. I mean, I understand the frustration, but Qwest doesn't really do any better than Mediacom around here in terms of things like this. If something major goes wrong, you're going to be screwed no matter what.
We're not discussing Qwest here. The point is that these things continue to happen on a fairly regular basis and Mediacom is not doing a thing about it. Have a look at Sonic.net. Other ISPs like Mediacom should be taking lessons.

BAINCH
MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY

BAINCH to jk0

MVM

to jk0
said by jk0 :

Yeah, I saw that. It shouldn't matter. There should never be a single point of failure like this. It's happened time and time again and Mediacom never seems to learn from it. It's completely and utterly unacceptable.
There was not a single point of failure. AT&T lost connectivity on the SONET ring after multiple failures occurred. We were not the only ones affected, but probably the biggest due to our penetration in the affected geographies. Although multi-failure outages are rare, they do occur and are particularly difficult to engineer around. We are working on additional options to layer more redundancy into the network in a way that won't adversely affect latency or pricing.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to jk0

Premium Member

to jk0
My point was simply that Mediacom is not the only ISP that these things happen with. I'm sure every ISP has a customer with a horror story about a prolonged outage they consider unacceptable. No provider is perfect. I had a look at Sonic.net - which is not an available provider in my area, so I don't really ever hear anything about it. I'm not sure what specifically I should be looking for. I've heard very good things about them in the past from a few people. I bet you could dig up customers who've had a horrible experience with them or had outages that lasted a while. Sometimes things just *happen*, and no one likes it, and yes, it's an inconvenience. I've had plenty of phone/DSL outages because my line got cut 5-6 times. I didn't like it, but that's just the way it was. When I'm paying $70 a month for service I have no expectation that someone's going to be in my backyard at 3 a.m. fixing the line. Even on standard business DSL or cable I wouldn't expect that kind of service. I would only expect those kinds of repairs on the higher-end business tiers that cost in the hundreds and upwards per month.

Anon9
@mchsi.com

Anon9

Anon

said by danawhitaker:

I've had plenty of phone/DSL outages because my line got cut 5-6 times.
Big difference versus your line cutting cut and nearly an entire state's service getting cut!!1

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

1 edit

burner50 to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
said by jk0 :

Mediacom needs to, at the very least, offer some sort of dial backup solution when disasters like this occur.
You MUST be joking... You are paying how much? Thats nowhere near the price for a dedicated connection that fast...

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

burner50, I just want to point out that you quoted my quote of someone else's post. I, too, think that's ludicrous to expect of them.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
Iowa

burner50

Premium Member

I Appologize, I typed the wrong name...

Fixed now...
Turbocpe
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
IA

Turbocpe to burner50

Premium Member

to burner50
said by burner50:

said by jk0 :

Mediacom needs to, at the very least, offer some sort of dial backup solution when disasters like this occur.
You MUST be joking... You are paying how much? Thats nowhere near the price for a dedicated connection that fast...
I just want to add that Qwest.net (and I think MSN) Qwest DSL users did get dial-up accounts included with their DSL service.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
Iowa

burner50

Premium Member

said by Turbocpe:

said by burner50:

said by jk0 :

I just want to add that Qwest.net (and I think MSN) Qwest DSL users did get dial-up accounts included with their DSL service.
well the major difference with that being that QWest is a PHONE COMPANY and STARTED with dial up internet.
cfossy
join:2007-04-05
Ottumwa, IA

cfossy to Turbocpe

to Turbocpe
said by Turbocpe:

said by burner50:

said by jk0 :

When I had Qwest with the MSN package, there was no backup dial-up when my internet was out for 2 days, but you are correct about the Qwest.net having it.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

How many people here actually still have dial-up modems and would be able to utilize a backup service using it if Mediacom offered it? The last computer I had that had one was the one I bought in 1999. Every computer I've built since then I've never put one in. The laptop I bought in 2002 didn't even come with the option for one. You're better off throwing up a wireless adapter and hoping you can gank a neighbor's connection (or ask permission to use a neighbor's connection). Maybe there are more people with dial-up modems out there than I realize. I just don't know *anyone* who has one, including many tech-savvy individuals. Correction. I know one person who has one, but he lives so far out in the boonies that high speed internet isn't even an option.

I had Qwest.net for years. They certainly didn't highly publicize the fact that they had that. It was there, but I never bothered to ask about it because the majority of my outages in the past few years were precipitated by my phone line being cut so a dial-up modem would have been utterly useless.
Turbocpe
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
IA

Turbocpe

Premium Member

dana, I'm not exactly in disagreement here, but just stating the fact that Qwest had offered free dial-up access for Qwest DSL customers (perhaps only Qwest.net). Remember that it was available for some time (nothing new), and I believe it was more known to be used for those who travel away from home and need some sort of access. Remember, we're talking about something Qwest offered for some years - not something just recently provided.

Today, people are more likely to use EVDO or WIFI - which was not exactly common or widely used/available "back then".

As the years go by, I fully agree with the likelihood of it being used or the customer's equipment having the outdated technology.