TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to neofast

Premium Member

to neofast

Re: You DID sign up, right?

A poster stated above that his brother-in-law passed away 6 months after signing up for Verizon and they wouldn't accept proof of death from the poster's wife (executor of the estate) as reason for canceling the contract.

I've also heard of people who sign up for service and then a year later wind up moving to a different area that that particular the cell phone company doesn't service. They can't cancel their contract, however, without paying the ETF fees.

While I agree that, in most cases, signing up for the contract should bind you to the contract terms, there should be certain allowances. The 30 day trial and prorating of the ETF fee are good starts. Having a "death or other major life change event" clause would be good also. You would be required to supply some proof of the event (death certificate, utility bill with your new address, notice from unemployment office, etc) and then you would be let out of your contract with no ETF.
rid0617
join:2003-07-20
Greer, SC

1 recommendation

rid0617

I refuse to sign any type of contract. Was a directv long term customer without a contract and use a prepaid phone to avoid it. In terms of actual use the prepaid works out cheaper. I am from the generation that keeps customers by satisfaction, not obligation