spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rg6cable68
join:2004-06-20
New York, NY

rg6cable68

What cable box TWC NYC are given out to customers

I'll like to know what cable box TWCNYC Upper Manhattan are given out to customers. (Model and brand)??????
nyrmetros
join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY

nyrmetros

And what is everyone getting out in Queens for a standard HD box ?

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to rg6cable68

Premium Member

to rg6cable68
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD
or
Samsung SMT-H3050

Both are HD boxes though. Samsung was the latest we got here about a month ago upper manhattan.

boomer11
join:2000-09-22
Annapolis, MD

boomer11 to rg6cable68

to rg6cable68
SA 8300HDC in lower Manhattan. I made the mistake of returning mine (8300HD) to get the new Caller ID feature.
nycityny
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
New York, NY

nycityny

Premium Member

said by boomer11:

SA 8300HDC in lower Manhattan. I made the mistake of returning mine (8300HD) to get the new Caller ID feature.
Why was that a mistake?
jeffnyc
join:2004-06-09
Atlanta, GA

jeffnyc to rg6cable68

to rg6cable68
I have the SA 8300HDC too. What I wish to do is to connect the one box to two televisions using hdmi and coaxial but this is not possible because the built in copy protection causes an error. Wonder if I would still have this problem if I got the Samsung box? Is the Samsung hd dvr also.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

said by jeffnyc:

I have the SA 8300HDC too. What I wish to do is to connect the one box to two televisions using hdmi and coaxial but this is not possible because the built in copy protection causes an error. Wonder if I would still have this problem if I got the Samsung box? Is the Samsung hd dvr also.
Got the Samsung SMT-H3050 in Lower Manhattan and I'm not particularly happy with it. It needs to be rebooted several times a month due to Movies on Demand stalling, clock stopping, info boxes not going away, and other bugs.

Mine doesn't seem to support HD via coaxial and this model doesn't have DVR.

boomer11
join:2000-09-22
Annapolis, MD

boomer11 to nycityny

to nycityny
Because of the software they are using on these boxes. It now has a cable card and the interface is much much slower. Mystro is soooooo slow. I wish I had the Navigator software I had before. When you watch a saved show thru the DVR , the show you were watching before was not saved in the que like before.
nycityny
Premium Member
New York, NY

nycityny

Premium Member

said by boomer11:

It now has a cable card and the interface is much much slower.
Do you know if it has a single cable card serving both tuners or two separate cable cards? The reason I ask is that I was told on Thursday at the TW office in Manhattan that they do not have M-Card cable cards (which serve two tuners with one card). I don't know if the guy was blowing smoke because I was asking for the purpose of using it in a TIVO box, hence no profit for them in renting me a cable box and DVR service.
jeffnyc
join:2004-06-09
Atlanta, GA

jeffnyc to boomer11

to boomer11
said by boomer11:

Mystro is soooooo slow.
I second that. You think they would test these things before they rolled them out! I wish my building was wired for FIOS.
Dissonance
join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

1 edit

Dissonance to nycityny

to nycityny
They have M cards. In fact that's all they have according to the guy that installed mine. I'm in queens but I think it's all the same.
edit: by the way they charge 5 bucks for that little card. they'll always make money...
nycityny
Premium Member
New York, NY

nycityny

Premium Member

said by Dissonance:

They have M cards. In fact that's all they have according to the guy that installed mine. I'm in queens but I think it's all the same.
edit: by the way they charge 5 bucks for that little card. they'll always make money...
So the guy lied to me to my face when he said that they don't have M cards. Reduces my desire to become a Time Warner customer. I'm currently with RCN and I believe they charge $1.50 for M cards.

twccsr
@verizon.net

twccsr

Anon

said by nycityny:

said by Dissonance:

So the guy lied to me to my face when he said that they don't have M cards. Reduces my desire to become a Time Warner customer. I'm currently with RCN and I believe they charge $1.50 for M cards.
cable cards are not very popular and are problematic. some reps unintentionally give u wrong info.

wooogie
@rr.com

wooogie to rg6cable68

Anon

to rg6cable68
i currently have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250 and was thinking of getting a box that can use HDMI. would that be a good idea? which box should i try to get in queens, ny?

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to nycityny

Premium Member

to nycityny
Actually, the multi-stream cablecards in those boxes are included with and tied to those boxes. So while they may be plentiful in the SA*HDC's, the CSR may be truthful in that there are no 'standalone' multi-stream cards available.
wandrew
join:2002-10-26
New York, NY

wandrew

Just had an M-Card installed in Manhattan two weeks ago. Judging by the tech's toolbox, there's no shortage.

The only thing there's a shortage of is common sense at TWC!

I tried to pick the M-Card up at the office, but they insisted on rolling a truck. So a week later the truck rolled, the tech phoned in the serial number from the card and the host id from my TiVo, everything worked, and he left.

Why can't TWC just give you a CableCard and let you input the serial number and host id on their web site?

Customers would get their service a week earlier, TWC would increase the productivity of their techs, save the cost of a truck roll, and the environment would be saved a few miles of truck driving.

Win, win, win, and win!
SB7785
join:2007-08-15
South Richmond Hill, NY

SB7785 to wooogie

to wooogie
You're kidding right. Please tell me you're using the 3250 on a SDTV. If you're using it on an HDTV, you've got a lot to learn my friend. The 3250 is an SD box. If you have an HDTV, go out and get an HD box like...NOW. Preferably the Explorer 8300HD.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

SB7785,

There is an HD version of the 3250. I have one myself. We have had ours since our first HDTV until we got a 8300HDC.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to SB7785

Premium Member

to SB7785
The 3250HD is an HD box. No HDMI, but it does have DVI and digital audio out.

hulber
join:2004-03-19
Ridgefield, CT

1 edit

hulber

said by Rook008:

The 3250HD is an HD box. No HDMI, but it does have DVI and digital audio out.
I recently picked up a new cable box (non-DVR) in NYC and it is the 4250HDC that has HDMI output. I was given a choice of which box I wanted but not all of them have HDMI output. This box also has component. I wanted to stay with SA anyhow. I think the other choices were Pioneer and Samsung.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 edit

19579823 (banned) to rg6cable68

to rg6cable68

Im glad i got a 3250!!

These things dont have enough ram in them and as a result are slow as anything!!

3250's are OK and 4250HDCs are OK also (About the same response as 3250s)

Those DVR boxes totally suck!!

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65 to rg6cable68

Premium Member

to rg6cable68

Re: What cable box TWC NYC are given out to customers

San Diego might be deploying the Samsung SMT-H3050. If you love your non TWC remote try using the codes for Pace boxes. Those codes seem to work.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· uide.pdf

Samsung also has a HD-DVR made with MPEG-4, Multiroom, and other cool features. Model number for that box is SMT-H3090.
visuelz
join:2003-05-01
Brooklyn, NY

visuelz to rg6cable68

to rg6cable68
The choices are

HD: SA 4250HDC, Samsung 3050
HD DVR: SA 8300HDC, Samsung DVR

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Samsung DVR is SMT-H3090. Supposedly this box is replacing the SA 8240/8300 series. I hope it's better than the 8300HDC. Has TWC deployed the new Samsung HD-DVR in NYC? If it's better then I might be interested though I'm in the San Diego area.
visuelz
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

visuelz

I believe my department is the only ones that have it thus far. The DVR looks a lot better than the 8300. It feels heavier too. It's still going to run on Mystro though.

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Is the guide in Widescreen? Next generation cable boxes are going to have this feature. I would think that it's possible. The BCM supposedly can do one in widescreen.
angel35
join:2008-11-30
New York, NY

angel35 to visuelz

to visuelz
Im in new york city (man.}I want a H-3090 samsung box. Does any one know if they have them at 23st??

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Maybe if you ask.
visuelz
Brooklyn, NY

visuelz to angel35

to angel35
Sorry if this took a while to reply...if you are using a DVR, check it out. I'm not 100% these are released to customers yet...

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

I think it will be deployed early next year. Later in 2009 other divisions will start getting it once it's done testing. They have to test it to ensure quality control.