spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DjEclipse
join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse

Why am I throttled at 9:00am!

I am getting sick of crap. It is one thing to throttle us from 4:30 till 2:00am, but I am being throtles 24/7 for the past 3-4 days now.

Just this morning I was throttled at 9:00am. I am Dl'n form a private site that I normally get 500+kb/s down from any torrent, and for the past 3 days I've been throttles all day and night long at 30kb/s.

Since when is peak hours 9:00am?

UT_CK
Premium Member
join:2008-01-28

UT_CK

Premium Member

I know this is not a solution, but just restart your line and see if it goes away. Reset your modem.

Please post back to see if it resolved it or not.

This has happened to nme in the past and sometimes it clears it ... sometimes it doesn't.

One way or the other, it's worth a try.

Regards,
CK
{:(B)
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

1 edit

DjEclipse

said by UT_CK:

I know this is not a solution, but just restart your line and see if it goes away. Reset your modem.

Please post back to see if it resolved it or not.

This has happened to nme in the past and sometimes it clears it ... sometimes it doesn't.

One way or the other, it's worth a try.

Regards,
CK
How often do I have to reset my modem now? I just reset it last night. not only is bell throtteling me 24-7, now I have to be home in front of the computer to reset my modem every 10minutes.

Why should I have to reset my modem becasue bell's equipment screws up?

I'll give ti a try tomorrow morning or maybe tonight if I am up past 2:00am.

UT_CK
Premium Member

UT_CK

Premium Member

Personally, I don't think you should have to reset your modem at all. It is of course an inconvenience.

Check it in the morning before leaving !

The alternative is daytime throttled.

Just trying to help you. Like I said not a solution, simply a possible workaround.

Regards,
CK
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse

said by UT_CK:

Personally, I don't think you should have to reset your modem at all. It is of course an inconvenience.

Check it in the morning before leaving !

The alternative is daytime throttled.

Just trying to help you. Like I said not a solution, simply a possible workaround.

Regards,
CK
I know, I appreciate your help. But as a teksavvy customer I am so extremly pissed that Bell is effecting my internet experience this much. If it is a case of having to reset my modem all the time, not only does it cost me my personal time, but it also is another way for bell to throttle me even longer as I don't want to have to wake up in the middle of the night, during supposed unthrottled times just to reset mymodem so I can actually use the uthrottled internet at that time.

UT_CK
Premium Member

UT_CK to DjEclipse

Premium Member

to DjEclipse
I understand. Neither would/do I.

Challenging times... require innovative (sometimes frustrating) intervention.

Hopefully, this is not a regular occurence.

Regareds,
CK
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse

said by UT_CK:

I understand. Neither would/do I.

Challenging times... require innovative (sometimes frustrating) intervention.

Hopefully, this is not a regular occurence.

Regareds,
CK
We will see tomorrow morning.. to be continued.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to DjEclipse

Premium Member

to DjEclipse
Have you looked into MLPPP with a WRT54GL router? I know its added cost and the nuisance of reconfiguring your network, but it works.

I feel fortunate to have bought a compatible router a few years ago, so for me (and many others on this forum) there was no added cost.
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse

said by HiVolt:

Have you looked into MLPPP with a WRT54GL router? I know its added cost and the nuisance of reconfiguring your network, but it works.

I feel fortunate to have bought a compatible router a few years ago, so for me (and many others on this forum) there was no added cost.
Unfortunetly I am not that competant, If I knew what I was going and if I knew what MLPPP and a a WRT54GL router was i would take the time and probably spend the money (depending on how much it is) to set it up, bit I literally don't have a clue what you're talking about. I've tried to read some of the threads but I get lost.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by DjEclipse:

Unfortunetly I am not that competant, If I knew what I was going and if I knew what MLPPP and a a WRT54GL router was i would take the time and probably spend the money (depending on how much it is) to set it up, bit I literally don't have a clue what you're talking about. I've tried to read some of the threads but I get lost.
It's really not that hard. Guspaz & DSL_Ricer made it with ease of use in mind. It's pretty much as simple as going into the router's interface firmware upgrade page, selecting the firmware update file, and the rest is done automagically.
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

1 edit

DjEclipse

said by HiVolt:

said by DjEclipse:

It's really not that hard. Guspaz & DSL_Ricer made it with ease of use in mind. It's pretty much as simple as going into the router's interface firmware upgrade page, selecting the firmware update file, and the rest is done automagically.
Can you point me in the right direction (link please)? How do I know if my router is capable of doing this? You make it sound pretty simple.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by DjEclipse:

Can you point me in the right direction (link please)? How do I know if my router is capable of doing this? You make it sound pretty simple.
Do you currently have a Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL? If so, look at the table in the following wikipedia link to figure out which version is supported by looking at the first 4 letters of the serial number.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WR ··· evisions
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse

said by HiVolt:

said by DjEclipse:

Do you currently have a Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL? If so, look at the table in the following wikipedia link to figure out which version is supported by looking at the first 4 letters of the serial number.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WR ··· evisions
I don't think I have Linksys, I will have to check when I get home.

Thanks for the link.

Candoo3
join:2005-01-24

Candoo3 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Hey HiVolt,

My new GL came in today, so picking it up later. What is the recommended firmware, in lieu of the factory firmware? Thanx
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

1 edit

the cerberus

»Tomato/MLPPP released (evade throttle or bond two DSL lines)

Download the first RAR file, not the src.
You'll need something like WinRAR (like WinZIP only for rar's as well) to unrar it. You can find that here:
»www.rarlab.com

Windows 32 bit download link here:
»www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe

Then go to the firmware page of your router at 192.168.1.1 and update it with the unrar'd file. Make sure you're logged in when you download the file, or it will be corrupted and you wont be able to unrar it.

Good luck.
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

1 edit

DjEclipse

Ok is just checked and I have a TRENDnet 4 port 54 Mbps 11g wireless router.

How do I find out if the MLPPP will work with this router?

WWM
Divi filius
Premium Member
join:2002-12-19
Mississauga

WWM to DjEclipse

Premium Member

to DjEclipse
Using MLPPP as outlined in this thread is probably easier -> »Any ideas how to Do MLPP ? with xp?

Really as simple as having an extra ethernet cable and creating a connection via Windows XP PPPoE.
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse

said by WWM:

Using MLPPP as outlined in this thread is probably easier -> »Any ideas how to Do MLPP ? with xp?

Really as simple as having an extra ethernet cable and creating a connection via Windows XP PPPoE.
I am not sure I am capable of setting that up. I just tried to install the RASPPOE software/ driver followed the instructions and got this error.

Could not add request compnent. I suck.
DjEclipse

DjEclipse to WWM

to WWM
said by WWM:

Also, what is the extra ethernet cable for? How is that set up?

I just found out my router is too slow to to the Tomato/ MLPP fix.

canadabound
join:2008-03-27

canadabound to DjEclipse

to DjEclipse
In before deadpool makes excuses
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus to DjEclipse

to DjEclipse
look here to see what routers tomato runs on, the list is kinda small:
»www.polarcloud.com/tomat ··· s_run_on

As far as I know you do not need an extra ethernet cable, I'm not sure what MisawaGQ is talking about.

chronoss20081
Premium Member
join:2008-03-29

chronoss20081 to DjEclipse

Premium Member

to DjEclipse
that page won't load cna you just list them here and maybe a link to the company.
I am going to get into this hardcore.

I have talked with rocky and a few about what could be done and if the DMCA comes let em all sue me for innovating( talking two or three apart and recasing them into a single unit for resale)
this would lessen space and i might even add either a fan inside or a heat sink ....
then the idea that you have a ready made in canada solution form a canuck that is on canada , who needs a job ( LOL )
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse to the cerberus

to the cerberus
said by the cerberus:

look here to see what routers tomato runs on, the list is kinda small:
»www.polarcloud.com/tomat ··· s_run_on

As far as I know you do not need an extra ethernet cable, I'm not sure what MisawaGQ is talking about.
MisawaGQ was talking about setting it up through Xp without the router. It sounds like a better option for me since I don't think it would work with the modem I ahve.

I playe around with trying to bridge connections last night but I'm not sure exactly what I am doing..

I forgot to check this morning if I was being throttled at 9:00am again, I was a little late for work.

Oh and the link you posted doesn't work.
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

1 edit

the cerberus

The site appears to be working fine, heres the info your looking for
quote:
What will this run on?[toc, link]

* Linksys WRT54G v1-v4, WRT54GS v1-v4, WRT54GL v1.x, WRTSL54GS (no USB support)
* Buffalo WHR-G54S, WHR-HP-G54, WZR-G54, WBR2-G54
* Asus WL500G Premium (no USB support)
* Untested but apparently works without changes: SparkLAN WX-6615GT

Note: Most WRT54G and WRT54GS (not WRT54GL) sold in stores right now are the v5.0+ variety and will not work with Tomato.

How do I find my Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS/WRT54GL's version?[toc, link]
Look at the bottom side of the router to check for the version number, or compare the first 4 characters of the serial number with the following list:
CDF0/CDF1 = WRT54G v1.0
CDF2/CDF3 = WRT54G v1.1
CDF5 = WRT54G v2.0
CDF7 = WRT54G v2.2
CDF8 = WRT54G v3.0
CDF9 = WRT54G v3.1
CDFA = WRT54G v4.0
CGN0/CGN1 = WRT54GS v1.0
CGN2 = WRT54GS v1.1
CGN3 = WRT54GS v2.0
CGN4 = WRT54GS v2.1
CGN5 = WRT54GS v3.0
CGN6 = WRT54GS v4.0
CL7A = WRT54GL v1.0
CL7B = WRT54GL v1.1
CL7C = WRT54GL v1.1
CF7C = WRT54GL v1.1

If it's not listed above, and it's not a WRT54GL, it's not supported.

I still dont see why you would need an extra ethernet cable. If anything you need one less without a router.
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse

The link works now, didn't before.

My modem is dedfinately not in there.

I will try this method when I get home that HiVolt posted, correct me if I am wrong (please), but I think it works with any modem.

»/speak ··· I1NC0%3D
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

That is not a list of modems, it is a list of routers. I suggest buying the WRT54GL if you want a easy routing solution that does mlppp.
DjEclipse
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse

said by the cerberus:

That is not a list of modems, it is a list of routers. I suggest buying the WRT54GL if you want a easy routing solution that does mlppp.
Sorry, I meant to say Routers...

WWM
Divi filius
Premium Member
join:2002-12-19
Mississauga

WWM

Premium Member

Oh yea, that's the method I meant. You basically set the router up as shown, and then use the built in XP PPPoE software to connect. All you need to do is make a PPPoE connection, go to connection properties, networking tab, PPPoE settings and select negotiate multi-link.