join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

MESS!

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
These pictures were taken inside a major nationwide bank. If you can't tell the old serial equipment (which we are all 99% sure isn't being used -- but noone wants to make the call to pull it out, just in case) is on a piece of wood on top of a filing cabinet.

The new equipment (switches) are to the left and right of said filing cabinet -- the stack of equipment wasn't too sturdy and after arranging them like that we can't move them to the top of the stack without unplugging any cables (which we did not get the OK to do from the baking command center).

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

Why is that stuff turned on for?

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

1 edit

joako

Premium Member

Because noone wants to take responsibility for any problems caused by turning it off. Mind you, these are the same people that require you to go through the chain of command and get your speakerphone enabled or change the speeddial softkeys on your phone.

There was even a router with a single T1 WIC card in that stack. Traced the patch cable out of it and it went nowhere. That one was ok'd to remove.

I cringe at the thought of how much power is being wasted on this crap...

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

Is that equipment still in use or what? If no one knows, then that place has more problems than just a messy network closet.

Neactom
join:2001-05-03
Songtan

Neactom

with how often banks close...early...weekends even earlier....youd figure they would have plenty of time to figure out what that crap was and yank it.....personally id say just rip it to shreds and laugh if it breaks something cause then you know how retarded they are

packetpusher
Premium Member
join:2005-03-22
Oakville, ON

packetpusher to joako

Premium Member

to joako
Maybe a silly question but why can't you just log into the boxes, check the traffic stats, and then decommission them? If there terminal servers it should be pretty easy to figure out if they're being used or not.

rockstaar
@161.209.206.x

rockstaar

Anon

daam..that mess goes agains every eia/tia standard i can think of

insomx
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Canada

insomx to joako

Premium Member

to joako
Oh....my....god...

Kill it now! Hah

alanhdsl
Premium Member
join:1999-10-09
Phoenix, AZ

alanhdsl to joako

Premium Member

to joako
Wow. The 3708s are to allow access to a 3270 "green screen" session over a serial line -- this was usually to provide dial-in access to a mainframe.

I wouldn't count on them being unused -- there could be a PS/2 in a bank branch somewhere dialing into it. Seriously.

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

joako to packetpusher

Premium Member

to packetpusher
said by packetpusher:

Maybe a silly question but why can't you just log into the boxes, check the traffic stats, and then decommission them? If there terminal servers it should be pretty easy to figure out if they're being used or not.
My superior says I'm probably right about it not being used but he doesn't want to make the call to remove the equipment, do I? No thanks.