spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pmokover
join:2001-12-02
Ventnor City, NJ

pmokover

Box Defaults to Channel 8

My Motorola DCH3416 defaults back to channel 8 (Comcast's CN8) whenever I power the box off/on. I'm not surprised they want to promote their own channel but it's annoying. Is there a work-around that leaves the box set to whatever channel it was last tuned to?

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

Yes, but it has to do with programming the remote. I posted instructions and/or a link in this forum quite some time ago, so you may want to search for it. Basically you program a button on your Comcast remote (I use the PIP button since that feature will never work) to turn on my TV, turn on the box, and change to another channel (I use 10).

If you use a 3rd party remote, you can program that one as well, assuming it can handle macros.
bennor
Premium Member
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT

bennor to pmokover

Premium Member

to pmokover
On the SA box that I use there is an option in the box's menu system to set the channel that the box changes to when the box is powered on. I don't think it had a last channel option though. It was initially set to 8 (which is the Comcast Network channel on my service) but I changed it to a local station's channel.
yurkinator
join:2007-07-30
Newark, DE

yurkinator to pmokover

to pmokover
Don't turn it off. Thats what I do.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to pmokover

MVM

to pmokover
Most Comcast area's disable the softwares ability to set a power on channel. They tend to override it with CN8 (Happens to be Ch 5 here).

I keep my DVR on all the time. Even if you power it off, the drives still spinning, the tuners are still 'tuning', recordings still proceed as expected. The only thing the power does is put the audio/video outputs to sleep.

I've had the same DVR since 2006 (Motorola 6412-p2) and it still works (although slow, at least its not dead).

tvnut
@aol.com

tvnut to pmokover

Anon

to pmokover
Just press the menu button on the remote twice. Then scroll to the "power on options" & choose "last channel"

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

said by tvnut :

Just press the menu button on the remote twice. Then scroll to the "power on options" & choose "last channel"
Not on a Motorola box.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to pmokover

MVM

to pmokover
tvnut, this is what the Motorola box looks like in it's current form when you push menu twice:

Doesn't look so much like what you have eh?

Besides even the SARA / Passport SA guides can be customized to actually REMOVE the ability to set the power on channel. If your area doesn't have this configured yet, it's only a matter of time. 90% of all Comcast markets default to the CN8 channel, and disable the option to change that. Simple solution to the problem? Never turn the box off. We are used to hitting "TV", "Power" on the silver Comcast remote every time we turn the TV on and off.

There's a remake for the guide coming to the SA system, and it's OCAP/Tru2Way compliant. Looks simular to this:

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

That...doesn't look half bad. Channel logos would be nice.

FWIW my box doesn't default to CN8 in my area.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by sansri88:

That...doesn't look half bad. Channel logos would be nice.
I agree about the channel logos. It's not a priority at this time though, from what I understand they are a pain in the ass to maintain. There's a back end service that links the IPG, logo, channel name, map, etc.. where there's a spot to specify the logo file for the channel. The logo is something that requires a separate subscription to a service to provide the files, much like Comcast pays TV-Guide for guide data. Not only the additional cost, but to keep on top of it and make sure the logo stays current and doesn't inadvertently change. This is why in most SA markets, Comcast removed the channel logos in the SARA guide. Passport works a little differently with the package/auth information by a separate passport app server. Comcast doesn't use third party IPG's like Passport unless it was a previously acquired system.

Now in the long term goals, channel logo's may make their appearance since there's time to revise the way it's handled. You can see them on the MyTV Guide which is the Tru2Way guide for certified TV's and set tops like Samsung, LG, and Panasonic have in development. Eventually this will be ported to current set tops but it most likely will take awhile until that happens. Which for now, a port of I-Guide with a slight visual refresh is all thats needed, just to get SA/Cisco systems current. I'm guessing the Motorola set tops have the power to display fancy graphics, just look at the Verizon Fios guide. With the Tru2Way being a common platform, developers won't mind spending more time on polishing their software, because it will work on ALL Tru2Way certified devices, much like you can run a Java game on Linux, Mac, and Windows.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY

sansri88

Premium Member

Yeah I'm just looking for a visual refresh and getting the damn thing to work faster.

Off topic, but my DCT3416 just randomly rebooted out of the blue. Lost all guide data and everything...
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
I wouldn't say "90%" as not even 90% has CN8 available to it.

SnowBlow
@comcast.net

SnowBlow to pmokover

Anon

to pmokover
I know the real reason folks. A Motorola STB uses Nvram for its channel maps which saves favorites and channel last tuned to when the nvram was set. This happens when I save nvram and then reload it. :0 Cheers

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream to pmokover

MVM

to pmokover
This just in... The Motorola area's in most of PA will be changing the start up channel to 960, Comcast Central. This should happen sometime in June or July.
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Most Comcast area's disable the softwares ability to set a power on channel. They tend to override it with CN8 (Happens to be Ch 5 here).

I keep my DVR on all the time. Even if you power it off, the drives still spinning, the tuners are still 'tuning', recordings still proceed as expected. The only thing the power does is put the audio/video outputs to sleep.

I've had the same DVR since 2006 (Motorola 6412-p2) and it still works (although slow, at least its not dead).
Cypher - This is going to change, but not in a huge way. For CPA, we will have it turn on to Comcast Central instead of CN8. This is to happen mid June to mid July.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn to cypherstream

MVM

to cypherstream
Won't hurt me any. My remote is programmed to change to channel 10.
erikthebean
join:2007-06-25
Milford, NH

erikthebean to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Thats a pic of the new "Aspen" IPG do you currently have it on your Moto Box ???

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by erikthebean:

Thats a pic of the new "Aspen" IPG do you currently have it on your Moto Box ???
No, I wish though... It's much nicer looking. Do you know much about it?

psujim
join:2007-10-10
Reading, PA

psujim to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

This just in... The Motorola area's in most of PA will be changing the start up channel to 960, Comcast Central. This should happen sometime in June or July.
Oh no, say it isn't so!!
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy

said by psujim:

said by cypherstream:

Oh no, say it isn't so!!
It is so.
erikthebean
join:2007-06-25
Milford, NH

erikthebean to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Well i know they have been in the testing stages of the guide and are almost ready to start deployment in certain markets. Ive seen some moto host boxes with the guide and its much better