how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Javik
Premium
join:2006-10-02
Gilman, WI

Name of this pole-mount outdoor telco canister?

Pole-mounted canister every mile or so along telco cable path

Closeup of the equipment canister

It's pretty obvious to me what this is. The phone company doesn't want dust and moisture getting into their expensive line boosters, loading coils, and whatever, so this is a gasketed airtight metal canister that keeps the electronics in a controlled environment.

I believe there's a tire inflation valve on it, so I assume it is either pressurized or purged with nitrogen to drive off moisture after it has been opened.

But what is this thing properly called?

-Javik

Javik
Premium
Gilman, WI

Hah, nevermind. I see someone else just posted the same question in another thread with a similarly vague subject heading.

»what is this on a telephone pole

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

2 edits
reply to Javik

Taken from Splitpair's post in the above referenced thread:

"That is a four slot pressurized HDSLx doubler housing. Probably made by Charles Industries."

Javik
Premium
Gilman, WI

1 edit
reply to Javik

Charles Type 621 T1 Apparatus Case
Yes, I see that Charles Industries is responsible for most of the things that make our rural telephone system work.

Oh, and they have an awesome website.

Here's the product brochure for this type 621 Apparatus Case from Charles:
»www.charlesindustries.com/main/6···Case.pdf

So, those black cables running into the case are bonded to the case? I assume so, if the cover is to remain pressure tight. It looks like it is prewired with all the pairs it will ever need straight from the factory.

Pairing with my other post, it all comes together when I recall that a T-1 is technically 24 bonded 64kbit channels, and each channel is 1 voice connection.

So if we have a 48 line remote, it uses 1-2 copper T-1's. If we have a 120 line remote, it uses 1-5 copper T-1's. So even out here in the sticks, just east of Nowhere, we already have "broadband" networking nearby, but due to the way it all works this capacity is fully utilized for supporting voice and cannot be reallocated for high-speed Internet broadband use.

Oh, and they could install a T-1 for me for business use. I already made a serious request once before to CenturyTel about two years ago. It would've been about $1800 per month, which uh, is a bit steep for non-business use, and about six times what it would cost in a metro area.

If these are the 12-slot 621 App Case, that leaves 7 line-card slots empty. Room to grow? Or are newer cases the same size as old cases, but use mini line-cards half the space of older units? Charles advertises the 12-slot as their smallest, so perhaps this is just an "old" four-slotter.

Though as the trunks converge on the CO, these app cases likely start filling up with the T-1's also run to other remote terminals along our trunk.

And driving along, I'm getting really good at spotting these App Cases every 6,000 feet (about 1.1 miles on the odometer). I assume the orange-capped splice boxes I see in a neighboring telco district are for fiber.

Yep, just hand me a crimp tool and a test set. I'm ready to apply for the phone technician job. (Oh wait, I'm not physically fit, and hate working outdoors. Oh well.)

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
kudos:1
reply to Javik

You forgot the bennies!

If you can't fix it with a buttset and bennies you ain't a real tech!

(Now where have I heard that before)

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2

It's a beanie, not a bennie.

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
kudos:1
reply to Javik

It was a direct copy and paste from SplitPair's signature

I knew it was beanies... But if you look at his siggy it's spelled the way I copied

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

said by kewlkeed:

It was a direct copy and paste from SplitPair's signature

I knew it was beanies... But if you look at his siggy it's spelled the way I copied
Maybe he really means bennies (slang term for speed) - that's how he works so fast?

(Just kidding, Wayne - got nothing but respect for you!)