Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chronoss2008
Premium
join:2008-03-29

question about dry loop bandrate A-G

question about dry loop bandrate A-G
what is the need to get the more expensive G band rate when there is the cheaper A

recneps
Premium
join:2006-06-24
Whitby, ON

It's all in what bell classifies your line as. The closer to a CO the lower the rate, is my understanding of it.

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON
reply to chronoss2008

You don't get to choose »TekSavvy FAQ »Does TekSavvy have to pay for the Dry-Copper Service?

chronoss2008
Premium

1 edit
reply to chronoss2008

CO is what
edited-ok got ya
im close to downtown peterborough so i gather id prolly be that A BAND.

they told me before i canceled out that my line could get the 7megabit speed on it.
Not that i wanted it.
How do i know what line speeds i have here
there are many lines coming in because it is a rooming house ( we house students in unniversity )

I have a second line up to my room it is not active however.
Would that in effect get me into dry looping. and then have to get my 2wire modem into the MLPPP.
P.S. im not worried about the shaping atm cause i can use the box on times when not shaped...like now.

Idea is i just hooke dup girl downstairs on my wireless ability of the modem and want to see about offering an ability to give the other guy on rogers wireless a new home( also i reported they are shaping that seems false he is still getting regular speeds but is only 3 megabit at best)
I may try later tomorrow and see if i can get the full speed fromteh wireless( says 54megabit network speed)

shepd

join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to chronoss2008

You have ~75K core population, according to wikipedia, and you're not right in the core. You are probably band C, maybe band B. Not a chance at band A unless you move to right places of the three listed cities.

Phone Teksavvy and find out which one exactly, they can tell you.

chronoss2008
Premium
reply to chronoss2008

i see its population based. Thats kinda silly, so if its all there and working you get charged more just for living not in a large city. that levels the playing field. Damn greed works.
bit pricey to do this mlppp.
And as i add up all the numbers it gets too hard to make a buck.

unayok

join:2008-05-10
Toronto, ON

(commence hand-waving)

In theory it's based on how expensive it is to maintain the line. If you're in a less densely populated area, you're likely be further from the Central Office (CO), with a longer physical line. The lines are also likely to be more spread out so any techs assigned to the area are going to spend more time traveling, etc. etc. etc.

In general this means higher density areas are on the cheaper band categories.

This is far from a complete picture and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to set things straight.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to chronoss2008

Seems odd to me that:

1) Phone service is the same price for everybody.
2) No band charge for DSL if you have a phone line.
3) Without a phone line, the band rates vary.

I guess what bothers me is that the price of Phone+DSL is the same everywhere, but the price of Dry DSL varies.

Somebody is getting ripped off, either A) people with Dry DSL in bands B-G or B) people with Phone+DSL in band A.

EDIT: or C) everybody LOL.

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

I'll vote C, everybody. But actually phone rates do vary, it costs more at my cottage than here in Toronto.
--
Taylor Byrnes
www.taylorbyrnes.org