spc
Search similar:

uniqs
a2dac16
join:2005-03-30
Jersey Shore, PA

a2dac16

[Other] Windows Update

I have a little bit of a dilema. I am unable to install any of the new micrsoft updates. I have tried a couple times both via website and also the auto update and it always downloads and fails i have disable all of the bacground programs that might have caused this, also I have sp3 installed dont know if it is a glitch due to that.
System Specs
Windows xp pro sp3
2.0 Intel Pent IV
512 Ram
120GB HDD
Any help, also i did search the microsft databse and couldnt find resolve.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

What error codes are showing up in the C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log?
a2dac16
join:2005-03-30
Jersey Shore, PA

a2dac16

2008-05-27 16:21:10:765 1076 b24 Agent WARNING: WU client failed installing updates with error 0x80004002

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

try steps from "Manual steps to resolve "0x800A01AE" or "0x080070570" error messages" onward
»support.microsoft.com/kb/910359

Cudni

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to a2dac16

Premium Member

to a2dac16
Software Update Installation Fails with Error = 0x80004002

A client computer fails to install a software update with the 0x80004002 error message reported in the client log files, such as the following sample log entries.....

WindowsUpdate.log
WARNING: WU client failed installing updates with error 0x80004002....

Possible Solution:

The WUA installation on the client might be missing files or be corrupt. Reinstall WUA 3.0 on the client computer. For more information about installing WUA 3.0, see How To Install the Windows Update Agent On Client Computers

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 189.aspx

bcastner
MVM
join:2002-09-25
Chevy Chase, MD

2 edits

1 recommendation

bcastner to a2dac16

MVM

to a2dac16
Some updates have proven difficult to successfully achieve through Windows or Microsoft Updates. For individual Hotfixes, often a specific remedy is advised. What is suggested in the following is one broad brush approach to repairing the entire Windows Update and Automatic Update service. This is based on several recent items of note about the entire Windows Update process:

• The public release of a repair utility formerly only available through direct sessions with Microsoft PSS.
• A recent update to the Windows Update Agent, which has not to date been pushed out to clients.
• A general spate of issues resolvable if your manually update your Windows Scripting Host and Windows Installer versions.

My "fix"

Phase I: Rebuild the Windows Update Service
Download -- to your Desktop -- the Microsoft PSS Automatic Update and Windows Update Reset Tool:
»www.codeplex.com/aureset ··· Id=13656

Double click to run this application.
:!: It takes ~approximately twenty minutes to run. Just let it work to a conclusion no matter how long it might take.
:!: It will need to reboot your system. Please agree to the reboot.

Phase II: Update Your Windows Update Agent Version
Download and then double click to run the May, 2008 version of the Windows Agent Update: Updatehttp://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.1.6001.65/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
:!: Reboot.

Phase III: Update Key Elements of the Support Infrastructure
Update your version of the Windows Scripting Host to Version 1.57 -- If not yet done by you.
»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· 7E844D81
Update your version of the Windows Installer to Version 3.1 v.2 -- If not yet done by you.
»support.microsoft.com/kb ··· 3[/list]

Again, for some issues (.NET Frameworks are a good example) only very specific workarounds can resolve the problem. The above steps, however, will cure a great deal of Windows Update issues. I would start with the steps above prior to seeking advice about issues with a particular Hotfix.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner
tschopper1
join:2004-06-04
Parkville, MD

tschopper1

bcaster, I am having a similar problem with Windows Update since a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 with Internet Explorer 6 and updated to SP3. The problem first manifested after the update to SP3 and updating Windows update to Microsoft update.

My problem is error number 0x80072EE2, and the Microsoft knowledge base for this error suggest placing three individual Microsoft update sites in the trusted zone. This error code usually happens on the first attempt of updating from Windows Update but usually will connect with success on the second attempt.

I have performed the Microsoft recommendation for the error code and your before mentioned fix phases 1 through 3. On phase 2 install I am informed that I have a latter file version.

Another related question; an issue I am confused with, should I update the Windows update to Microsoft update due to the fact that I have Microsoft office? My consternation is my problems began with the update to Microsoft update for the installation of SP3.

I am considering running the Symantec registry cleaner for SP3 in a further attempt to correct this problem.

This is the only issue I have discovered with SP3 and have no issues with connecting to any other sites.

Do you have any further suggestions?

bcastner
MVM
Chevy Chase, MD

1 edit

bcastner

MVM

The earlier versions of the PSS Reset Tool would not install the newer Agent Client, thus I had folks do this as a separate step. I bugged this at Microsoft and this PSS Reset Tool was rewritten, so the separate download of the newer Update Agent is no longer necessary.

The error 0x80072EE2 is a proxy-related error; in short, a firewall issue or HOSTS issue: »support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

This was common with the firewall included with Norton Internet Security 2007, and I do not know of a resolution other than to disable the firewall, enabling the native firewall, make the Trusted Sites entries as the KB article suggests, and try again. You can re-enable the firewall afterwards. In some cases whatever and however the firewall is done in that version of Norton Internet Security, the issue is not resolvable that I have seen. It does not happen in later versions.

You certainly can run the Norton registry cleaner for SP3 if Norton System Protect was enabled during the installation of SP3. It will not hurt anything, and might help.

If you are currently using Windows Update as your default site, try Microsoft Update (or vice-versa), as this sometimes helps.

In many cases it is just easier to download the Hotfix from Windows Update and install it in Safe Mode and be done with it.
tschopper1
Parkville, MD

tschopper1 to a2dac16

to a2dac16
Bcaster, thank you for your reply.

I do not have Symantec software installed on this system or any other software firewall. I am behind a Linksys wired router and a new Westell 2200 in bridged mode. I do run Spyware Blaster and BitDefender for an anti-virus. These programs each have a method of being totally disabled to avoid conflict for system maintenance or updating of programs. I am not on a proxy and there are no issues with my Host File. I have a normal router enabled PpoE Verizon DSL connection, with no issues connecting to any other sites.

I can not fathom why there is an issue with the connection to Windows Update. Running Symantec reg cleaner is just a shot in the dark and I am reluctant to do so because CCleaner Reg Cleaner breaks my HP All In One software which can be very time consuming to repair.

Overall the performance of this system since a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 with update to SP3 is the best it has ever been by test on PC Pitstop. It ranks in the 98th percentile.

It is a Dell Precision 380 Workstation with a Pentium 4 3.2 processor, 2 Gigs of 667 error correcting ram, 2 Western Digital 80 Gig Raptor SATA hard drives in raid 0, and a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit NIC. System BIOS and all drivers are the most current and up to date.

I can not believe the problem may be associated with the Dell OEM installation disk.

In the Windows Firewall I do have under the Advanced Exceptions Category; file and printer sharing, remote assistance, remote desktop, and UPnP Framework unchecked.
I am going to give a shot a selectively enabling them one at a time.

bcastner
MVM
Chevy Chase, MD

bcastner

MVM

There is no reason to run the Symantec registry fix, as it is not going to be an issue for you.

Try:

Click Start, click Run, end enter into the command line:
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
tschopper1
Parkville, MD

tschopper1 to a2dac16

to a2dac16
bcaster, thank you again for your suggestion to re-registering the msxml.dll, which I have performed.

I have also tried shutting off the Windows firewall and I have updated to Microsoft Updates.

I have successfully downloaded and installed all of today's released updates, six for Windows, and one for Microsoft Office, all through Microsoft Update..

What has not changed is the inordinate amount of time for the download server to scan my system for required updates. It takes at least four to five minutes after the "Welcome to Microsoft Update" screen. Meanwhile, due to the unaccustomed length of time that has transpired, I am anticipating the error number 0x80072EE2.

Prior to SP3 the time was less than a minute. Could there be a change in the update process or the servers that has caused this very noticeable lag? This has been evident on my system since SP3 was released for the general public.

bcastner
MVM
Chevy Chase, MD

bcastner

MVM

Don't try manually going to Windows Update when it is Patch Tuesday.

They are busy.