SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside to Rick5

to Rick5

Re: This would seem to be a windfall for

said by Rick5:

Sounds like a real money saver.
On both sides of the process. This also means the consumer doesn't pay cable box rental fees or have to deal with another device to hook up to their entertainment systems. It's a win/win if it's done right (and nobody exploits the savings with trumped up fees).

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

It also means no more possibly ugly looking box on top of your TV/in your cabinet or somewhere as well, so you'll have more space as well for other things.

person9998541
@k12.il.us

person9998541 to SRFireside

Anon

to SRFireside
said by SRFireside:

said by Rick5:

On both sides of the process. This also means the consumer doesn't pay cable box rental fees or have to deal with another device to hook up to their entertainment systems. It's a win/win if it's done right (and nobody exploits the savings with trumped up fees).
They will not have to pay rental fees but they will have to pay massive service fees for anything that goes wrong or the cable prices will suddenly jump more than the usual 10% a year that is definitely beyond the inflation already.

Jafo232
You Can't Spell Democrat Without Rat.
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Boonville, NY

Jafo232

Premium Member

Could it possibly lead to at least one less remote? Oh please, that makes it worth it by leaps and bounds..

Now, if they would just make a deal with DirecTV and Dish Network!
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to SRFireside

to SRFireside
said by SRFireside:

said by Rick5:

$4.99 outlet fee, $3.99 digital duplication fee, $1.99 digital navigator fee.

Your sets won't be free, cable companies will get same money, except now they don't have to stock, distribute, repair cable boxes.

BSD24
Tier 4
Premium Member
join:2008-04-30
Middleboro, MA

1 edit

BSD24 to person9998541

Premium Member

to person9998541
said by person9998541 :

said by SRFireside:

said by Rick5:

They will not have to pay rental fees but they will have to pay massive service fees for anything that goes wrong or the cable prices will suddenly jump more than the usual 10% a year that is definitely beyond the inflation already.
jafo232, you must forget that there is high inflation and we are in a recession! Gas prices have more than doubled in a year. Gas has caused prices for everything to go up. But again our economy is not good, and primarily because of high inflation.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Jafo232

Premium Member

to Jafo232
said by Jafo232:

Could it possibly lead to at least one less remote? Oh please, that makes it worth it by leaps and bounds..

First off, there are great universal remotes out there - my Harmony 550 has allowed me to put all the rest in a drawer (for real). Second, DirecTV did try something like this a few years ago. I forget the manufacturer (RCA, maybe?) created a high end TV complete with DirecTV receiver installed. It went exactly nowhere. Third, these types of deals tend to take a long time to go through (when exactly is Comcast rolling out it's Tivo-enabled DVR around the country?) - so I wouldn't go unplugging my STBs anytime soon. Finally, unless they put harddrives in these TVs, people will still opt to have DVRs on their TVs.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

Qumahlin

MVM

said by JPL:
said by Jafo232:

Third, these types of deals tend to take a long time to go through (when exactly is Comcast rolling out it's Tivo-enabled DVR around the country?) - so I wouldn't go unplugging my STBs anytime soon. Finally, unless they put harddrives in these TVs, people will still opt to have DVRs on their TVs.
Actually the TiVo software has been in testing for quite some time. I wish Comcast had just decided to release a special "tivo" version box, but the reason it has taken so long is because the software had to be modified to work on the motorola hardware already in place.

You also don't need to put a harddrive in the TV. Nowadays you can spend less than 300 bucks for a 1 terabyte external drive. Hell cable boxes currently support certain external drives for DVR add-on, but the ability to use them has been disabled for the most part...which is one of the most annoying things about the cable receiver industry. Year after year they roll out receivers with tons of fancy features and ports...most of which are disabled due to fear of how thier use may enable piracy and cut into the bottom line of both the cable co's and the entertainment industry.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

said by Qumahlin:

said by JPL:
said by Jafo232:

Third, these types of deals tend to take a long time to go through (when exactly is Comcast rolling out it's Tivo-enabled DVR around the country?) - so I wouldn't go unplugging my STBs anytime soon. Finally, unless they put harddrives in these TVs, people will still opt to have DVRs on their TVs.
Actually the TiVo software has been in testing for quite some time. I wish Comcast had just decided to release a special "tivo" version box, but the reason it has taken so long is because the software had to be modified to work on the motorola hardware already in place.

You also don't need to put a harddrive in the TV. Nowadays you can spend less than 300 bucks for a 1 terabyte external drive. Hell cable boxes currently support certain external drives for DVR add-on, but the ability to use them has been disabled for the most part...which is one of the most annoying things about the cable receiver industry. Year after year they roll out receivers with tons of fancy features and ports...most of which are disabled due to fear of how thier use may enable piracy and cut into the bottom line of both the cable co's and the entertainment industry.
Exactly my point about the Comcast/Tivo deal. How long has it been since that deal was announced - what, 3 years now? And it's still in testing? Moving at a glacial pace. My point is that these types of joint ventures are seldom quick to come to market. As for the external drive to your TV... let me see if I understand this - people want to get rid of having a DVR on the outside of their TV - a totally self-contained unit - so they'll be just fine with getting an external harddrive for their TV? I don't buy it. Plus, the TV would STILL need the DVR s/w to make all that work - just plugging in a harddrive doesn't give the TV the smarts to allow for things like setting up series to record.