how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DavePR

@dslextreme.com

1 recommendation

Where's the DVR?

I don't plan on giving up my DVR. (I don't anticipate replacing my TV anytime soon, for that matter). Will everyone who buys a TV have to buy this cable TV circuitry, even if they don't plan to use it?

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
Err... the story plainly identifies this as a Sony deal. If other manufacturers eventually get around to doing the same thing, so be it, but that's a long way off.

Comcablrtl

join:2003-10-25
Midwest
Panasonic should be releasing a tru2way TV this year as well. Samsung is also working on getting a model ready for T2W. There will be a fee for using this type of TV. It will be something along the lines of a digital access fee...not sure on the amount per month (possibly $4.99). There are many benefits for the customer with this technology, but like anything else new, early-adopters will most likely pay a premium for TVs featuring T2W technology.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
reply to DavePR
Exactly. Great idea, but there needs to be an eSata port for DVR recording for it to be of much use to high-end customers.

It's so unfortunate for consumers that Hollywood killed the central DVR concept.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
reply to DavePR
TiVo is planning to implement Tru2Way in their next TiVo model. When that will be out is anyone's guess.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL
Also anyone's guess is how Tivo will attempt to justify the $899 initial price tag.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
I doubt it will cost that much at release considering their current TiVo HD is $300 retail (and can be gotten cheaper that that).

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA
reply to DavePR
I think it was Panasonic who had the TV with built in ReplayTV DVR. This was years ago.

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to Morac
The original HD Tivo was $999 when released and had (I think) a $100 rebate.

anoncharter

@charter.com
reply to Comcablrtl
The only charge will be the CableCard fee. For Charter it is $2.00 a month.

Mark F1

join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to DavePR
We have a Motorola HD DVR from Verizon FIOS. Others have DVRs from various providers or a Tivo. Not to mention we have no plans to replace our fairly new HD set anytime soon.
But, what about programming our DVRs, IMGs, channel searching. We do have to know what's on and when, etc. Will there be circuitry in the TVs to do everything a STB or DVR does, program-wise?

The story doesn't mention DVRs, on-screen programming, channel guides, VOD, program and movie info, and so forth. Mark F

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jester121
said by jester121:

The original HD Tivo was $999 when released and had (I think) a $100 rebate.
$799 and no rebate initially. They figured out how to make their money off the early adopters--and nobody else. The TiVo HD has far outsold the original Series3, which has now been discontinued. I don't see TiVo marketing an $800 box ever again.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to jester121
said by jester121:

Also anyone's guess is how Tivo will attempt to justify the $899 initial price tag.
No shock there. tivo people overpay for everything.
tivo is the "apple" of dvr's. thanks but no thanks.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee