Anonuser

join:2003-01-03
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

1 recommendation

[Tech] E3 Sparkplugs, 15,000 Mile Review

Click for full size
Click for full size
Pulled the E3's from Wifes 4 cyl 1991 Honda Accord 2.2L. 15k Miles since instalation. Engine has run great, previous, on the NGK's and the Bosh's that were in the car, the average mileage was 27mpg-29mpg highway. Since switching, engine seems to run smoother, and Mileage has increased a bit. Car has gone up to 30-33mpg highway with the E3's. No detonation, car starts easier, and the plugs look cleaner then the old plugs.

I had the previous Bosch plugs in for 10,000 miles, and the car ran a bit rough, and plugs were much more dirty. [EDIT]Yes, the plugs were gapped correctly per factory specs.

Without telling my wife that I changed anything, she mentioned that the car was running a bit smoother.

So take it as you will neigh sayers, but I give E3 a thumbs up.

I've also been using them in my Lanmower and other assorted equipment, and in my mower, where as I was using 1 tank of fuel for every 2 mowings, I now go 6 mowings on a tank of gas, as well as I'm not using clean gas either, I'm using gas that is stale and turned brown, that I drain out of my customers scooters that I tune up.

So now, bring on all the negativity saying how bad these gimic plugs are. I've also put them in my Xterra, and my Xterra is also idleing smoother, as well as my on board computer shows a instant 2mpg increase at 41mph over my old NGK's.
--
»KmanScooters.com Home of Wisconsin's Most Affordable Cars, Motorcycles and Scooters

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
They look great--but I haven't had much luck with mutitip plugs. Some folks love them--some don't. Great to see reviews like this here.

severach

join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI
reply to Anonuser
E3 plugs aren't similar to multi tip. They are more like the side gapping that the racers use but are available from Advanced Auto and have enough edge to last more than one race.

It would be nice to compare them to NGK V-Power drilled with a jet hole, Halo, and Pulstar Plugs.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to Anonuser
The only problem I have with gas mileage comparisons is that so many things affect mpg that outside of a lab - the figures are virtually meaningless.
--
Brian

Free health care is 100% a misnomer - it is not free and never will be free.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile-High
kudos:1
said by CylonRed:

The only problem I have with gas mileage comparisons is that so many things affect mpg that outside of a lab - the figures are virtually meaningless.
While I agree with that, an aggregate change of ~10% over 15,000 is probably significant. That plug looks great for being in an older car for 15k miles.

While this isn't necessarily hard science, the anecdotal information is still quite useful and interesting.

The Ford is due for a change. I might have to grab a set of these and see what happens.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to Anonuser
My god!

They have all but built a wall of steel around the center electrode!

You couldn't give me a set of those.
--
Sand

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to Anonuser
Those kinda look like a knock of haloplug how much where thoses plugs a piece if i might ask?

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Anonuser
Doesn't the very nature of electricity make these type of plugs kind of meaningless?

The spark is going to arc to the closest ground, and when you have more than one possible path it should (in theory) go to the closest until it is burnt down some then go to the next closest-- gaining you nothing but a (possibly) longer lasting plug?

If it did arc to more than one spot simultaneously, I would think the overall detonation power of the spark would be diminished....

Just my thoughts, not trying to start a war , and I could be (have been in the past) wrong.

EDIT: Those do look rather clean though

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

The other thing I do not get - unless the plugs are REALLY fouled I can't imagine changing the plugs will do anything for mpg. Not like the engine will notice a new plug and inject less fuel suddenly.

Ammler
Premium
join:2005-04-19
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Anonuser
These plugs look interesting. Who makes these?

I might want to try them out in my Jeep.

I did one time install those AC Delco rapid fire plugs into both my 90 S10 Blazer and my wife's 94 Grand Am.

The ignition system in the Blazer went on the fritz after a couple of years, and everything including the plugs and a couple of sensors were replaced with standard OEM Parts.

The wife's Grand Am still has these plugs installed without a hitch. I estimate they have about 20 to 25k on them.

Anonuser

Milwaukee, WI
reply to Anonuser
I auctually tested the spark with a Taser. Worked rather well

The Spark did 1 of 2 things, some times it jumped to one point with a strong bolt, and at the same time, a weaker bolt jumped at another point, and on other try's, it just changed back and forth between points on the plug very rapidly.

Change in fuel mileage, I measure my highway fuel mileage by driving at 70mph with the cruse set, when I drive to Wisconsin Dells to visit my parents. That is roughly a 140mile drive, and I drive it non stop, without any brakeing.

Orignal plugs were NGK's, and then I replaced them with Bosch's, ran those for about 10k miles, which yielded same mileage as the old stock NGK's, changed out the Bosch's right before doing my drive to the dells, with the E3's, and saw a instant increase in mileage on that trip, and every trip since. If you want, I can put another set of Bosch in or NGK's, Checker Auto has them on sale, and I can do another comparison.

My understanding, is that the way they are designed, the E3 resists fouling by having multuple electrode points, so if one is "blocked" it moves to the next best, keeping the vehicle fireing.
My understanding, where the mileage and additional benifits, are that the electrode is in a "circle" around tip, so that the kernal ignits the fuel, and the "explosion" goes up, into the cylinder, more easially burning the fuel that was around the cylinder, Instead of having the flame go sideways, and mostly burning the fuel around the sides of the cylinder.

All I know is it is working amazing in my mower, and doing a decent job on my truck and wifes honda.

Plugs were approx $5.99 each at auto zone.
--
»KmanScooters.com Home of Wisconsin's Most Affordable Cars, Motorcycles and Scooters

supernac

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

reply to Anonuser
I would think if something as simple as a spark could increase gas mileage by that much, every auto manufacture would be using them.

Anonuser

Milwaukee, WI
reply to Anonuser
And ya would think cars now would be getting better mileage then those from the 80's, but hey, auto makers are idiots anyways
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit
Not when anti-lock brakes, auto transmissions, airbags, far safer cars, and added alcohol to fuel work against auto makers. If they were to go back and make them as safe as 1980's cars then it would be a LOT better but people want a sporty car that is safe and it WILL effect MPG - no way around that.

HEDP

join:2008-04-27
Miami, FL

2 edits
reply to Anonuser
Click for full size
Click for full size
I would just have to say they are better due to the fact that if voltage spikes or drops suddenly the E-3 will still be able to make a strong spark compared to a conventional spark plug, with multiple points of contact it ensures a spark happens and a strong one at that, ensuring full combustion of fuel within the cylinder. Basically efficient spark plugs, one could argue if you change the distribution cables with better one's you will get the same results with just standard plugs.

I will buy them and I would give them a try, I trust your recommendations, and I especially liked when you gave that oil filter review, even though I was already using Purelator micron filtration filters, its still was a nice review that was detailed to inform some users here.

Keep the reviews coming.

EDIT: Here are my previous spark plugs, according to the owners manual, I should replace them after 40K miles and I am pretty much at 39K now. I see that the spark plug is basically caked in white which is a sign of over heating plugs. I will need to check the overall cooling of the engine, but the temp gauge does not show anything out of the ordinary.

Oh and once I swapped the plugs the on board computer increased the overall estimated MPG from 30.4 to 30.6 right after driving a mile down the road with the E3 spark plugs. Acceleration has slightly improved and the engine is quieter, that's about it.

It's one of those things where you buy, once and then forget about until it's time to replace them. We will see how they operate for the life of the vehicle.

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to Anonuser
said by Anonuser:

I auctually tested the spark with a Taser. Worked rather well
A test of a cold plug in 1 atm air pressure is meaningless. It in no way represents a hot plug electrode and compresses fuel mixture.

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

reply to HEDP
said by HEDP:

...Oh and once I swapped the plugs the on board computer increased the overall estimated MPG from 30.4 to 30.6 right after driving a mile down the road with the E3 spark plugs. Acceleration has slightly improved and the engine is quieter, that's about it...
I would bet $500 that if you took those old plugs and did a quick clean with a wire brush, regapped them and put them back in you would see the same improvements in mpg and acceleration.

HEDP

join:2008-04-27
Miami, FL
Very true, but I will leave it how it is for now.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
join:2000-12-14
Dar al-Harb
reply to Anonuser
Those things are made in China. I'll pass.

FlsRend
Premium
join:2004-01-31
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Anonuser
I guess these have to be pre-gapped?

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
reply to Anonuser

Forgive my skepticism, but a number of similar plug ends have filtered down the gee gaw pipeline over the years.

If I would have added every available fuel saving miracle to my vehicle, the gas would by now be bubbling out the filler pipe.

I have to admit my favorite was the pie tin cut down to 'spin' the air into the engine

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to Anonuser

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
Seriously?

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
said by Cho Baka:

Seriously?
Sure, if the plugs work like they make it look like they do.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Given that it is easiest for the spark to jump from the edge of an electrode, I wouldn't expect to see those as being very efficient.
A fairly high voltage would be required to initiate the spark.

There would also be temperature/cooling concerns.

It looks pretty though...

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to ttiiggy
I think everything has been tried in plug design and that video may have be fixed behind the scenes with one plug using MSD (Capacitive Discharge) while the other is conventional single HEI spark.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

mudchucker
Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy
Premium
join:2000-10-21

1 recommendation

reply to Anonuser
Should try these Plugs
--
When I first got married we started out with nothing,... and to this day we still have most of it.