spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MickMarsSiXX

join:2008-05-28
Terry, MS

[Xtreme] NAT help with Netopia 2241n-006.

I'm trying to Host a Match on My PS3 But I've never been host and I want let me so Just wondering what I can do to get NAT type 2 or how to have no Firewall in my connection.

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
All right Mr. Crue (he he),

You must be seeing NAT 3 through the 2241, w/ PS3 direct connect? There are few ways to correct this problem>>

1. Manually enter a port forwarding rule in the 2241.
See this>> »manuals.playstation.net/document···est.html

2. Setting the PS3 into DMZ. This is easier when using a switch if your connecting other equipment to the DSL.

3. If your only connecting the PS3 to the 2241, hard reset it and manually enter your login/password in the PS3 when connecting, acts the same as if putting into the 2241 itself, with the exception that there is no NAT'g going on.

Access to this is done from the User Interface, 192.168.1.254.

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
How do I put my PS3 to DMZ?

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
and I got a Static IP how do I use It?

Airwolf7
Premium
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to MickMarsSiXX
said by MickMarsSiXX:

How do I put my PS3 to DMZ?
Enable IP passthrough to your PS3.

said by MickMarsSiXX:

and I got a Static IP how do I use It?
If you have configured your Netopia with your username and password and have a connection to the Internet then you have done everything needed to configure your Residential Single Static IP Service.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »What Static IP packages does BellSouth offer? How do I set it up?

Give us the details about your setup and we will try to provide you with a more pinpoint solution to your problem.

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS

1 edit
reply to MickMarsSiXX
I have the Modem running to a 4-port switch which runs to 2 computers and 2 PS3's is that good? I'm trying to get NAT type 2 I've forwarded Ports but thats not working.

Airwolf7
Premium
Franklin, KY

4 edits
reply to MickMarsSiXX

Re: [Xtreme] NAT help with Netopia 2241N-006.

There is a file attached to this reply that you might be interested in. Its the actual User Guide for the BellSouth customized model Netopia 2241N-006 ADSL2+ Gateway.

This User Guide is not the generic one from the Netopia website for the 2200 series ADSL2+ Gateways. This User Guide is for the exact model that you have.

Note: I do not own a Netopia 2241N-006 or a PlayStation 3.

There are four types of NAT you are going to run into with NAT routers.

Full cone NAT, restricted cone NAT, port restricted cone NAT, or symmetric NAT.

For what you are trying to do the above NAT types are listed in order from best to worst.

The Netopia and Motorola Netopia Gateways are symmetric NAT devices.

Unlucky for you, you have the worst type for what you are trying to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------
All the information below is in CHAPTER 3: Expert Mode which starts on page 35 in the attached User Guide.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

UPnP

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP™) is a set of protocols that allows a PC to automatically discover other UPnP devices (anything from an internet gateway device to a light switch), retrieve an XML description of the device and its services, control the device, and subscribe to real-time event notification. By default, UPnP is enabled on the Netopia Router.

• Network devices using UPnP can retrieve the Router’s WAN IP address, and automatically create NAT port maps. This means that applications that support UPnP, and are used with a UPnP-enabled Netopia Router, will not need application layer gateway support on the Netopia Router to work through NAT.

• You can disable UPnP, if you are not using any UPnP devices or applications.

Port Forwarding

This feature allows you to:

• Forwards a range of WAN ports to an IP address on the LAN.

Static NAT

This feature allows you to:

• Direct your Router to forward all externally initiated IP traffic (TCP and UDP protocols only) to a default host on the LAN.

• Enable it for certain situations:

– Where you cannot anticipate what port number or packet protocol an in-bound application might use. For example, some network games select arbitrary port numbers when a connection is opened.

– When you want all unsolicited traffic to go to a specific LAN host.

IP passthrough

The IP passthrough feature allows a single network device on the LAN to have the Netopia’s public address assigned to it. It also provides PAT (NAPT) via the same public IP address for all other hosts on the private LAN subnet.

Using IP passthrough:

• The public WAN IP is used to provide IP address translation for private LAN computers.

• The public WAN IP is assigned and reused on a LAN computer.

• DHCP address serving can automatically serve the WAN IP address to a LAN computer.

When DHCP is used for addressing the designated passthrough PC, the acquired or configured WAN address is passed to DHCP, which will dynamically configure a single-servable-address subnet, and reserve the address for the configured PC’s MAC address. This dynamic subnet configuration is based on the local and remote WAN address and subnet mask. If the WAN interface does not have a suitable subnet mask that is usable, for example when using PPP or PPPoE, the DHCP subnet configuration will default to a class C subnet mask.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

How To: Open a Specific Port on the Netopia 2241.

Airwolf7
Premium
Franklin, KY

2 edits
reply to MickMarsSiXX

Re: [Xtreme] NAT help with Netopia 2241n-006.

Two PS3 consoles might be a problem.

Let's see if you can get one to work and then you can try to get two to work.

Take one of them out of the loop until later.

As best as I can tell these are the ports that will need to be forwarded

TCP: 80, 443, 5223

UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658

Each port will need to be forwarded seperately and have a unique name for the Custom Service. UDP ports 3478 and 3479 can be done as a range with 3478 being the base port.

There may be a problem with port 80. Read more about this on page 119.

As best as I can remember there is no way to reassign the port number from within the GUI and this will have to be done through the CLI with a telnet session.

Internal Servers

Your Gateway ships with an embedded Web server and support for a Telnet session, to allow ease of use for configuration and maintenance. The default ports of 80 for HTTP and 23 for Telnet may be reassigned. This is necessary if a pinhole is created to support applications using port 80 or 23.

Web-HTTP Port: To reassign the port number used to access the Netopia embedded Web server, change this value to a value greater than 1024. When you next access the embedded Netopia Web server, append the IP address with , (e.g. Point your browser to »http://210.219.41.20:8080)

Telnet Port: To reassign the port number used to access your Netopia embedded Telnet server, change this value to a value greater than 1024. When you next access the Netopia embedded Telnet server, append the IP address with , (e.g. telnet 210.219.41.20:2323)

The internal web or telnet server can be disabled by setting the port to 0. To allow for further configuration, only one of these servers can be disabled at a time.

Static NAT and IP passthorugh can not be used at the same time.

You mat need to disable UPnP on the Netopia.

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
reply to MickMarsSiXX
So If I could get a New Modem that would be a good choice?

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Mick,

Let me make this as easy as possible for you. The Netopia, while having DHCP/routing, is not a good NAT device for your PS3's connection while connected to a switch alone. IP passthrough, port forwarding will not work like your intending w/ more than 1 PS3 connected. I've been doing the gaming thing w/ the XB and the Playstions for a while so trust me when I tell this. I'm not sure about the UPnP on the Netopia, but if that is a configurable function that's available then "enabling" it should correct the problem. Keep in mind if you can do that, do not have any port forwarding or DMZ/IP passthrough "on".

The easiest thing to do is to go get a router, aka linksys, bridge the Netopia and set up the connections that way. You will not have the "restrictive" NAT when configured this way. The router will allow you more flexibility for the gaming connections your seeking.

We have our PC, 360 and PS3 all hooked up, albeit I'm using the 2wire here. Don't have any issues.

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
reply to MickMarsSiXX
OK So give me a Suggest on a Router model.

Airwolf7
Premium
Franklin, KY

3 edits

Netopia 2241N-006 Connection Configuration Page.

There is a setting in the Netopia 2241N-006 to enable UPnP.

You may have to manually enable UPnP on your PS3.

Access your Netopia's Web Configuration GUI at »192.168.1.254 and click on the "Expert" button, then click on the "yes, enter expert mode" button on the Expert Mode Confirmation page, then click on the "configure" button, then click on the "connection" button. Change the "Connection Type" to "Always ON" and enable "UPnP", then click on the "save changes" button.

With all of the applications and devices that I have tested that claim to be UPnP compatible I have had none fail to open and close ports using the UPnP feature of the Netopia and the Motorola Netopia modems.

The Netopia and the Motorola Netopia modems will fail the "Network Address Translator Type" and "UPnP Support Test" portions of the Microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool.

Microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool.

I just can't see how two of the same consoles playing the same game at the same time using the same ports could work without having multiple public IP addresses no matter what kind of modem or router was used.

I could be wrong. It's not like I have never been wrong about anything before.

Airwolf7
Premium
Franklin, KY

1 edit
reply to MickMarsSiXX
said by MickMarsSiXX:

OK So give me a Suggest on a Router model.
I would see what model of routers that other people seem to like that have PS3 consoles like you.

Might not be a bad idea to see what routers are used by people that have multiple PS3 consoles.

You can't be the only person that has multiple PS3 consoles on one Internet connection with a single public IP address.

It might not be a bad idea once you have done some research and narrowed your choices down to a few models to pick one that has passed Windows Vista Logo certification testing.

I would think that these models that have passed Windows Vista Logo certification testing would have a wide open NAT type and full UPnP support.

Show me routers which have received a Windows Vista logo.

How To: Configure Bridge Mode on a Westell, Netopia or Motorola Modem

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to Airwolf7
Doesn't matter about the public IP's, it's about the packets. The router has the LAN IP's assigned to each console, it doesn't care what it's sharing w/ the world on the WAN side, that's the NAT'g going on and while you may have multiple consoles on that LAN using the same ports each is transmitting it's own packet assignment for whatever game is being played on it, whether it be the same or not. Some routers will handle this better then others.

Have had mult XB's, PS2/3, etc hooked up here before, no probs. They've had the same games, different games playing at the same time and there is no conflict whatsoever. The issues become a prob when things are not configured correctly or the router that's being used is just not up to par w/ handling mult gaming connections, ex, IP conflicts, dropped connections between consoles, but most are designed to handle this stuff now.

As far as a router, how about this>>

»www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp···48529060

Cool new Linksys design, but seriously, just check out BB or whatever store you have in your area, they're a dime a dozen.

BTW, I tested the Motorola 2210 here last night (2241 relative) w/ a direct connect to my PS3, ran NAT 3. I enabled the UPnP function found in the Advanced settings of the Local Network tab to no avail, did not correct, still showed NAT 3. So that tells me that the 2210 and maybe the 2241 will not process port opening assignments for equipment like the PS3 making that request. Why I've no idea, these units are just not NAT/gaming friendly and that's why a router is better suited. XBL will test "strict" NAT through these, but there is a port forwarding rule already built into these that just has to be enabled, doesn't work the same w/ the PS3.

Peace!

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
reply to MickMarsSiXX
Ok I Bought a NetGear Wireless-N Router WNR834B UPnP is Available But still getting NAT 3 so What do I need to do from here? I've forwarded All Ports for PSN do I need to do something with my Modem?

Airwolf7
Premium
Franklin, KY
How To: Configure Bridge Mode on a Westell, Netopia or Motorola Modem

Configure your 2241N-006 for "Bridged Ethernet" mode.

Configure your Netgear for "PPPoE" mode.

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
reply to MickMarsSiXX
Ok Earlier I set my Modem to Bridged Ethernet then I just wouldn't connect to internet so after about an hour I decided to hit the reset button now it will not connect through my router so I guess once I get It all fixed I'll not worry about
My NAT type.

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
reply to MickMarsSiXX
Ok thanks guys every thing works perfect I feel Very good Thanks ALOT I'll add you I need some room on PSN though.

Airwolf7
Premium
Franklin, KY
reply to MickMarsSiXX
Click for full size
Configure router for PPPoE mode.
Use the instructions in the FAQ below as a generic guide to help you.

How do I properly set up a Motorola 2210 with a Netgear router?

Use the instructions provided Here as a replacement for Section 2 – Motorola 2210 Configuration: Step 4 in the above FAQ to help you configure your Netopia 2241N-006 for "Bridged Ethernet" mode.

Refer to the Netgear's manual and the above picture for additional information to supplement the information provided in Section 3 - Netgear Router Information: Step 6 through Step 9 in the above FAQ to help you configure your Netgear router for FastAccess DSL service.

Tip: You can connect to the Netgear router by typing either of these URLs in the address field of your browser and then pressing Enter:
• »www.routerlogin.net
• »www.routerlogin.com
If these URLs do not work, you must type the IP address of the router, such as:
• »www.192.168.1.1

I don't think that you should have to setup any port forwards in your Netgear router to use your PS3 consoles.

The entire purpose for buying this Netgear router was to get a router that has an open "NAT" type and full "UPnP" support. Since this Netgear RangeMax NEXT Wireless-N Router WNR834Bv2 passes Windows Vista Logo certification testing it should be able to pass all of the tests at the Microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool with flying colors.

After you get the Netopia and the Netgear setup make sure to restart all of your computers and PS3 consoles.

Run the Microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool and make sure that it passes all of the tests. Some of the tests are specific only to Windows Vista and will not be available on Windows XP. If you don't have Microsoft Windows then you can't run the test. Make sure that it passes the "Network Address Translator Type" and "UPnP Support Test" portions of the test.

If the "UPnP Support Test" fails then login to your Netgear and make sure that "UPnP" is enabled. You will notice in the above picture, in the lower left hand corner, that there is a section in you router for "UPnP" settings. Refer to the Netgear's manual for more information about configuring "UPnP".

Restart your computers and run the Microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool again. If it now passes the "UPnP Support Test" then you should be good to go.

Run the network setup on both PS3 consoles to let it re-detect the network connection.

If your PS3 consoles are still showing "NAT Type 3" then you may need to setup port forwarding.

If you have to setup port forward then you may need to manually assign private static IP address to your PS3 consoles.

Refer to your PS3 manual about how to manually configure the network settings.

Refer to you Netgear's manual about port forwarding and manually assigning private static IP addresses to the devices connected to your Netgear router.

Good luck.

If you are still having problems then reply back and someone will try to help you.

If you get this to work then reply back and tell us about it and tell us what settings you had to make to your Netgear and PS3 consoles for everything to work.

Replying back and telling us what you had to do to get it to work will help other people in the future.

Airwolf7
Premium
Franklin, KY
reply to MickMarsSiXX
I see that while I was typing up the above reply you have configured everything to work.

If you don't mind would you care to share what you had to do with us?

What are the results of the "Internet Connection Test" of your PS3 consoles.

UPnP:

Available: You can use UPnP.

Not Available: You cannot use UPnP.

Disabled: UPnP has been disabled in the network settings of the PS3™ system.

NAT Type:

Type 1: Connected directly to the Internet

Type 2: Connected to the Internet via a router

Type 3: Connected to the Internet via a router

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
reply to MickMarsSiXX
UPnP is Available and Type 2 I have And I can Host Matches which is the reason I wanted to Get Type 2 Thanks Alot for your very Good Help!!! Peace Might be Back on here

Airwolf7
Premium
Franklin, KY

1 edit
MickMarsSiXX, I'm glad that you got everything up and running and that you are happy now.

Have fun playing and hosting games.

Don't forget to thank Canezoid See Profile for helping and especially for pointing out that there is no way to get this to work with two PS3 consoles without getting an good aftermarket router because of the Netopia's symmetric NAT type.

Edit: Did you have to setup port forwarding or was "UPnP" able to setup everything for you?

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
reply to MickMarsSiXX
Yes I will Add him to my PS3 Friends list.

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
reply to MickMarsSiXX
O and I had to Config my router before my Modem Because modem Wasn't able to connect to Internet

Airwolf7
Premium
Franklin, KY
reply to MickMarsSiXX
said by MickMarsSiXX:

Peace Might be Back on here
Since you are a new member don't forget that there are many forums here at Broadband Reports.

These are some you might be interested in.

»AT&T Southeast

»AT&T Direct (Where you can get direct support for your AT&T Internet if you have problems that we can't help you with in the AT&T Southeast forum.)

»Netgear

»Consoles

»Console Tech

MickMarsSiXX

Terry, MS
reply to MickMarsSiXX
No i just had to reset it but no forwarding after the Brige on Modem.