uniqs
« Comcast
This is a sub-selection from ugh
taar
join:2000-11-21

taar to caco

to caco

Re: ugh

I am sure they covered their tracks pretty well before doing this. No doubt they will eventually be caught but i have a feeling it will be from them boasting all over the net instead of a trace of the IP address where the attack originated.

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

halfband

Premium Member

Actually they appear to have done it without any real thought to the consequences. No real covering of the tracks at all. Fortunately they were only trying to piss off comcast. They could have very easily created a massive security breach in the comcast system [proxy servers, collecting information, trojan installs]. Comcast and basically anyone who uses network solutions dodged a bullet on this one.
Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium Member
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO

1 edit

Corydon to taar

Premium Member

to taar
said by taar:

I am sure they covered their tracks pretty well before doing this. No doubt they will eventually be caught but i have a feeling it will be from them boasting all over the net instead of a trace of the IP address where the attack originated.
They aren't all that bright...they've already let slip that they have Comcast service, which narrows it down quite a bit (I suppose they might be former customers but people who've already left don't get this pissed off at the company).

Plus, they've revealed they called this engineer guy. How hard do you think it will be to track down where that call originated from?

Edit: These guys are dumber than I thought. The Wired News article has a picture of one of them hitting a bong.

I suppose they could be truly devious—maybe they're disgruntled 'torrenters from Sweden who have never had Comcast services, know their way around the PSTN well enough to disguise their tracks and set up fake MySpace profiles all as part of an elaborate ruse. I think it's far more likely that they are dumb kids who happen to know a thing or two about DNS.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

Qumahlin to taar

MVM

to taar
said by taar:

They didn't cover their tracks at all. Also this is not "hacking". Using social engineering and a "technical flaw" does not a hacker make. Also notice they never said exploit but rather "flaw" which has me believing that like many secure sites netsol has made the mistake of making it far too easy to reset a password.

All this kid did was con his way into getting the password to their management console, then redirecting the traffic to a single page. His attack had no flair, no skill, and his "message" was your typical script kiddy "HAHA LOOK WHAT I DID" drivel.

If his attack truly had anythng to do with his "shitty service" perhaps he would of actually made a statement...you know actually wrote out a coherent legitimate complaint and redirected the pages to that...perhaps then I would find this interesting.

All in all this kid is going to be seeing quite the large array of legal fees. There is no need for a corporation to send someone to jail when it's easier to stall their case in the system and force them into bankruptcy
« Comcast
This is a sub-selection from ugh