uniqs
share rss forum feed

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

Contact lens without prescription

Does anyone know a site where I can buy contact lenses without a prescription? I know probably they won't state it... but anyone know about a site that's lenient about it?
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ

When I ordered my contacts from 1800contacts.com, they were never able to contact my eye doctor. But they shipped them anyway. I even got emails saying they were still unable to contact him.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

said by NS4683:

When I ordered my contacts from 1800contacts.com, they were never able to contact my eye doctor. But they shipped them anyway. I even got emails saying they were still unable to contact him.
They did that to me too, but only because I already had a prescription on file that had just expired. Did you already have a prescription on file? They won't do it a 2nd time though.

sillyEffinLaw

@comcast.net
reply to joako

This is a pet peeve of mine and probably anyone else who has ever lost a contact lense while away from home. We all know the frustration of trying to get a replacement. After hours, forget it. Ugh!

Anyway, I've found the best way to deal with this nonsense is to get your eye exams at WalMart and then at least you have half a chance at getting a replacement.

Isn't it ironic that people can buy cigarettes and smoke themselves to death but we can't buy a simple contact lense?

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

my wife solved this problem by always bringing a backup pair...

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
reply to joako

I don't understand why you need a script to buy contact lenses. If I know what type I need then why can't I just buy them? It's not like you can OD on contact lenses or turn them into drugs or anything like that.

delt4
Congrats BUCCOS
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

said by alg:

I don't understand why you need a script to buy contact lenses. If I know what type I need then why can't I just buy them? It's not like you can OD on contact lenses or turn them into drugs or anything like that.
I would imagine to protect the person selling contacts from the possibility of lawsuits. I think it's kind of stupid as well.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

1 recommendation

reply to joako

Incorrect type or incorrectly fitting contacts can cause permanent eye damage which is why a script is required.

Like it or not that is the reasoning.

joako
Premium
/dev/null
reply to joako

But how come in some states its safe to give a prescription for 2yrs and in other states its only safe for a prescription to be valid for 1?
--

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

said by joako:

But how come in some states its safe to give a prescription for 2yrs and in other states its only safe for a prescription to be valid for 1?
Semantics vary from state to state (as does the recommended time between eye exams...one year and two years, but never longer than two). However, they still require a prescription so people don't stupidly make themselves blind by continuing to order the wrong strength or type of contact lenses for the next 10 years. Eyes change, so do contact and eye glass prescriptions, and only an eye exam can determine what those changes are. It's no different than people who think they are smart enough to self medicate (which they aren't).
--
11,172 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11~~TEAM DISCOVERY
Can't feel you anymore, don't need you anymore, don't believe you anymore, I don't need you anymore

joako
Premium
/dev/null
reply to joako

Ok but that doesn't explain why in Florida its only safe for the prescription to last 1yr but in some other states it's safe to issue a 2yr prescription.
--

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro
reply to joako

1800contacts has shipped me contacts numerous times without the doctors permission. Basically, the doctor doesn't answer the calls to verify since they're pissed you didn't buy the lenses through them! I've saved hundreds of dollars through them... Two year supply for less than a 1 year supply through the eye doctor.
--
Neoconservatives (G.W.B) are not true conservatives. A conservative believes in defending the Constitution. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - RON PAUL & MURRAY SABRIN (NJ GOP FRONT RUNNER for SENATE) 2008

Tzale
Premium
NYC Metro
reply to alg

said by alg:

Because you can seriously hurt your eyes if you use the wrong type of contact lenses.
--
Neoconservatives (G.W.B) are not true conservatives. A conservative believes in defending the Constitution. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - RON PAUL & MURRAY SABRIN (NJ GOP FRONT RUNNER for SENATE) 2008

Tzale
Premium
NYC Metro
reply to joako

said by joako:

Ok but that doesn't explain why in Florida its only safe for the prescription to last 1yr but in some other states it's safe to issue a 2yr prescription.
Florida law... If they wanted to make it 1 month, they could.
My state passed a law concerning lenses a few years ago that forced eye doctors to release prescriptions (allow you to buy from other doctors, stores or online)... Prior to that, you couldn't force the doctor to do it.

-Tzale
--

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
reply to Tzale

said by Tzale:

said by alg:

Because you can seriously hurt your eyes if you use the wrong type of contact lenses.
True, but you can do the same thing (damage your body) with just about any other OTC item even when taken "correctly" and not abused. What makes contacts worse?
--
Put's and End's too english Abuse's!!! | It's vs. its' vs. its??? | I Give up's!!!

Tzale
Premium
NYC Metro

1 edit

said by alg:

said by Tzale:

said by alg:

True, but you can do the same thing (damage your body) with just about any other OTC item even when taken "correctly" and not abused. What makes contacts worse?
It is far easier to screw your eyes up permanently with the wrong contact lenses than it is to screw yourself up with Tylenol... If you follow the directions on the Tylenol bottle, you'll be alright. If you follow the direction on the contact lenses, you could hurt your eyes. Contact lenses are prescribed based on eye shape, tear production, size and general feel.

-Tzale
--

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to joako

At your eye exam, you should have been given a card with your perscription & date on it.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to Tzale

(topic move) Contact lens without prescription

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 10 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »split from "Contact lens without prescription"

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to joako

Re: Contact lens without prescription

said by joako:

I just told you why....it varies from state to state, but it's never longer than two years. That's just the way it is. Different states have different rules.
--
11,181 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11~~TEAM DISCOVERY
Can't feel you anymore, don't need you anymore, don't believe you anymore, I don't need you anymore

joako
Premium
/dev/null

1 recommendation

reply to joako

I found a site that allows you to order without even providing doctor info. My next choice was the 8hr waiting thing.
--

Jeanie

@rr.com

Which Site? If you don't want to post it here, please email it to me blockzmail@yahoo.com ...Thanks

natty65

join:2008-08-26
New York, NY
reply to joako

yay! Someone who found a solution - My last exam was 5 months ago and I've lost a box and am getting run around to buy lenses only from them...at much more!!!! please let me know at duckynat@aol.com

cocothebean
You Are My Nightmare
Premium
join:2002-11-16
Carson City, NV
reply to joako

said by joako:

The eye doctors want you to come in yearly for an eye test so they can at least get that much money out of you!!!
The eye doctors here charge you to place new lenses in old frames ($10-$20 depending who you see)!!!

cocothebean
You Are My Nightmare
Premium
join:2002-11-16
Carson City, NV

1 edit
reply to wth

said by wth:

At your eye exam, you should have been given a card with your perscription & date on it.
Out here they try their hardest to deny you a copy of your prescription!!!
They claim they are medical records and you can't have it!!!

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Tzale

said by Tzale:

Contact lenses are prescribed based on eye shape, tear production, size and general feel.

-Tzale
Contact lenses are based on size (diameter, curve), power, and astigmatism (if you have one).
A perscription can mandate a certain type/brand of contact lenses, mine have never mandated that. Mine just has the numbers which I enter into 1800 contacts and buy whatever I want.

Also, the only reason they have laws for 1 year or 2 year perscriptions is because if the contacts are somehow doing something bad to your eyes an eye doctor can catch it and stop you from buying that brand/type again.
I have no idea what would hurt your eyes without causing you discomfort or pain, but for some reason they do not trust you to know if your contacts are hurting you.

The perscription laws are probably there to make sure eye doctors make money. I would bet they did a lot of lobbying to get that mandate after they were forced to give patients their perscription.
--
»www.ryanoneill.us

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to natty65

said by natty65:

yay! Someone who found a solution - My last exam was 5 months ago and I've lost a box and am getting run around to buy lenses only from them...at much more!!!! please let me know at duckynat@aol.com
If they refuse to give your perscription they are breaking the law.

The law can be found here:
»www.1800contacts.com/docAndRx/Do···-2.shtml

You can report your eye doctor here:
»www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
--
»www.ryanoneill.us

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX
reply to alg

said by alg:

I agree with you. However, you know that if there wasn't that restriction that someone would end up suing because they bought what they "thought" was right and they ended up going blind.
Expand your moderator at work

kw
Premium
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH
reply to joako

Re: Contact lens without prescription

I find that the easiest way to get them is by having 30/30 vision, and not needing them at all.

maimaiconco

join:2008-09-11
reply to joako

Could you please email the site you found?
I've searching for websites and couldn't find any. I'm glad I found this page. I need to buy contacts and don't wanna pay for stupid prescription. Thanks!
maimaiconco@hotmail.com