BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

Jordan vs Kobe, the numbers speak for themselves

The numbers speak for themselves... (stats through 07-08 season)

Career Scoring Average
*Michael Jordan - 30.12
Kobe Bryant - 24.96

Highest Steals (season)
*Michael Jordan - 3.2
Kobe Bryant - 2.2

Career Blocks Per Game
*Michael Jordan - 0.83
Kobe Bryant - 0.58

Highest Blocks (season)
*Michael Jordan - 1.6
Kobe Bryant - 1.0

Career Turnovers Per Game
*Michael Jordan - 2.73
Kobe Bryant - 2.94

Career Turnovers Per 40 Minutes
*Michael Jordan - 2.85
Kobe Bryant - 3.22

Lowest Turnovers Per 40 (season)
*Michael Jordan - 2.1
Kobe Bryant - 2.8

Highest Turnovers Per Game (season)
*Michael Jordan - 3.5
Kobe Bryant - 4.1

Career Assist-to-Turnover Ratio
*Michael Jordan - 1.93
Kobe Bryant - 1.57

Highest Assist-to-Turnover (season)
*Michael Jordan - 2.57
Kobe Bryant - 1.96

Career Field Goal Percentage
*Michael Jordan - .497
Kobe Bryant - .453

Highest Field Goal Pct. (season)
*Michael Jordan - .539
Kobe Bryant - .469

Career Free Throw Percentage
Michael Jordan - .835
*Kobe Bryant - .839

Highest Free Throw Pct. (season)
Michael Jordan - .857
*Kobe Bryant - .868

"What Is PER?

Player Efficiency Rating is a formula that uses a player’s stats to determine how productive and efficient he is in his time on the court. If he shoots the ball frequently, but does not convert on as many of his shots, his rating goes down. If he turns the ball over frequently, his rating goes down. If he is efficient and contributes an all-around performance, his rating goes up. Due to factors such as lower shooting percentages, it is almost impossible for a guard to have a very high career PER (such as above 25)."

Percentage of 50+ point games against teams with winning records

Michael Jordan: 71%
Kobe Bryant: 35%

Record in games with 30+ shot attempts

Michael Jordan: 72-57 (.558)
Kobe Bryant: 33-43 (.434)

Percentage of points scored on free throws

Michael Jordan: 23%
Kobe Bryant: 26%

Percentage of points scored on two point field goals

Michael Jordan: 72%
Kobe Bryant: 59%

Three point field goal attempts per game

Michael Jordan: 1.66
Kobe Bryant: 3.69

Career PER

Michael Jordan: 27.91
Kobe Bryant: 23.57

Highest PER season

Michael Jordan: 31.71
Kobe Bryant: 27.97

Seasons with 30+ PER

Michael Jordan: 4
Kobe Bryant: 0

Seasons with 28+ PER

Michael Jordan: 7
Kobe Bryant: 0

Seasons with 25+ PER

Michael Jordan: 12
Kobe Bryant: 3

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
Inman, SC

2 recommendations

The accomplishments...

Michael Jordan-------------------------Kobe Bryant

13(of eligibility)----Seasons-----------11

6(in 6 Finals)-----NBA championships-----3(in 4 Finals)

6----------------NBA Finals MVPs---------0

5----------------Season MVPs-------------1 (this year)

1----------Defensive Player of the Year-----0

10---------------All-NBA First Team---------5

9-------------All-Defensive First Team------5

Yes-----------Rookie of the Year------------No

Yes-----------All-Rookie First Team---------No

14---------------All-Star--------------------10

3-----------------All-Star Game MVPs----------2

10----------SCORING TITLES-------------2

3------------------Steals Titles--------------0

1------------Top 10 in League in Assists------0

61-------NBA records held alone--------0

69------NBA records held(may be shared--------5

1-----Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year-----0

2-------------Olympic Gold Medals---------------0

College
1982 NCAA championship
1982 ACC Freshman of the Year
1984 ACC Player of the Year
1984 Naismith Player of the Year
1984 John Wooden Award
1984 Adolph Rupp Trophy

Michael Jordan is #1 all-time in points per game and #3 all-time in points. Kobe Bryant is not in the top 10 all-time in points per game.

Michael Jordan is #34 all-time in assists and #74 all-time in assists per game. Kobe Bryant is not in the top 100 all-time in assists per game.

Michael Jordan is #3 all-time in rebounds and rebounds per game by a guard (behind Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson). Kobe Bryant is not remotely close.

Michael Jordan is #2 all-time in steals and #4 all-time in steals per game. Kobe Bryant is not in the top 50 all-time in steals per game.

Michael Jordan is #1 all-time in blocks and blocks per game by a guard. Kobe Bryant is not remotely close.

anwgo153
Premium
join:2002-04-08
Roselle Park, NJ
reply to pro7070

81 point games Jordan 0 Kobe 1

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Trenton, NJ

btw MJ isn't #1 in points per game... he WAS before he came back to play for the wizards but he dropped his points per game... and kobe might have more than 6 rings if this team stays together
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Eagles LoveR:

btw MJ isn't #1 in points per game... he WAS before he came back to play for the wizards but he dropped his points per game... and kobe might have more than 6 rings if this team stays together
Well until that happen MJ is the best. MJ will at least have one thing over Kobe he not a rapist.
--
Caddy

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

reply to anwgo153

said by anwgo153:

That shows selfishness, not talent. Lack of selfishness is why Bill Russell's Celtics dominated Wilt's Lakers.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
Inman, SC

2 recommendations

reply to anwgo153

said by anwgo153:

Is that all you got?

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
Inman, SC

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Caddyroger

said by Caddyroger:

said by Eagles LoveR:

Well until that happen MJ is the best. MJ will at leasthave one thing over Kobe he not a rapist.
Jordan and Wilt are tied for #1 all time career PPG with 30.1 and that includes his Wizard seasons.

»www.nba.com/statistics/default_a···4&stat=0
»www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_j···nav=page

Solid_Snake
Snakeonia
Premium
join:2002-01-14
Fort Collins, CO

2 recommendations

if fine to compare but some stats are slightly misleading.. i believe jordan was and is the best of all time to date, but

kobes assists and ratio and other stuff is skewed due to the fact he don't have near the team around him mj did..

kobe must shoot more and as the numbers show more is not always better, id go on and disect every stat but its pointless..

kobe is currently ranked 3-5 on my list of greatest players of all time

The Dv8or
Premium
Denver, CO

Part of the problem with your thought that Kobe is a top 5 all time player is that the NBA has done just about everything to forget their storied past. I'd like to hear who the others are on your top 5 list besides Kobe and Jordan.
--

Dread
On course
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Bronx, NY
kudos:8
reply to pro7070

Kobe still has years ahead of him to go.
The whole reason why everyone defends Jordan when he is compared to Kobe is Jordan had class and was known to be a clutch player.

Watching kobe it just doesn't feel right, I can't discredit him but he just doesn't have the class & finesse that Jordan bled when you watched him play.

But yeah Kobe is a pretty dominant player right now.
--
Squirtle squirts for distance

The Dv8or
Premium
Denver, CO

There's more than a fine line between "pretty dominant" and "best of all time".
--

Dread
On course
Premium
Bronx, NY

said by The Dv8or:

There's more than a fine line between "pretty dominant" and "best of all time".
I agree
I'm no Kobe Fan, but you gotta be great to be compared to Jordan by many
--
Squirtle squirts for distance

The Dv8or
Premium
Denver, CO

Do you consider Vince Carter great?

Dread
On course
Premium
Bronx, NY

No, do you?

The Dv8or
Premium
Denver, CO

I don't. However, for several years, Vince Carter was considered the next Michael Jordan. He was compared to Jordan by many, to use your words exactly, but he is obviously far from great.
--

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
reply to Solid_Snake

said by Solid_Snake:

if fine to compare but some stats are slightly misleading.. i believe jordan was and is the best of all time to date, but

kobes assists and ratio and other stuff is skewed due to the fact he don't have near the team around him mj did..

kobe must shoot more and as the numbers show more is not always better, id go on and disect every stat but its pointless..

OH MY GOD someone who ACTUALLY realizes stuff... praise the lord
--
"I done wrassled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, only Last week I murdered a rock, Injured a stone, hospitalized a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick!!"-Ali

anwgo153
Premium
join:2002-04-08
Roselle Park, NJ

said by Eagles LoveR:

said by Solid_Snake:

lol
OH MY GOD someone who ACTUALLY realizes stuff... praise the lord

--
"Before I close my eyes I fantasize I'm living well, when I awake and realize Im just a prisoner In hell "..Tupac Shakur

Bada Bing
WVU Mountaineers
Premium
join:2001-05-29
Fort Gay, WV
reply to anwgo153

said by anwgo153:

That just proves how selfish Kobe is.

Also you forgot the Rape Stat
Jordan 0
Kobe 1
--
Rock & Roll Never Forgets

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
Inman, SC
reply to The Dv8or

said by The Dv8or:

Part of the problem with your thought that Kobe is a top 5 all time player is that the NBA has done just about everything to forget their storied past. I'd like to hear who the others are on your top 5 list besides Kobe and Jordan.
1. Jordan
2. Wilt
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Magic Johnson
5. Julius Erving
6. Larry Bird

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
Inman, SC
reply to The Dv8or

said by The Dv8or:

Do you consider Vince Carter great?
Me? As in all time great? Absolutely not. He stays injured and takes plays off on defense.

As a scorer, yeah he's great. I rank him with pure scorers like
Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady, Carmelo Anthony. From the past pure scorers like Bernard King, Glenn Rice, George Gervin. Although I do consider, Vince Carter is more athletic because he can jump out of the gym. But he doesn't use that athleticism on the defensive end. And that's strange considering he came from UNC and Dean Smith program.

Eagles LoveR
Dawkins is a true Eagle
Premium
Trenton, NJ
reply to pro7070

said by pro7070:

said by The Dv8or:

1. Jordan
2. Wilt
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Magic Johnson
5. Julius Erving
6. Larry Bird
wilt couldnt do it in this era... he would get thrown around he we all know he had no jumpshot... larry bird couldnt play defense at all... all he had going for him was his jumpshot... kobe is easily better than both of them... Kobe is a top 5 player with you like it or not he's proving it night in and night out
--

The Dv8or
Premium
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

Please go find ONE legitimate sportswriter who claims Kobe is the best of all time, or anywhere near. There's not one legitimate sports personality in the world who agrees with you, much in the same way there's not one legitimate sports personality in the world who agrees with you that Brian Westbrook is the best football player in the NFL.
--

Solid_Snake
Snakeonia
Premium
join:2002-01-14
Fort Collins, CO

said by The Dv8or:

Please go find ONE legitimate sportswriter who claims Kobe is the best of all time, or anywhere near. There's not one legitimate sports personality in the world who agrees with you, much in the same way there's not one legitimate sports personality in the world who agrees with you that Brian Westbrook is the best football player in the NFL.
do me one better... find me one legitimate sportwriter period

The Dv8or
Premium
Denver, CO

Thats the best you can do?

ariesguy

join:2001-01-30
reply to Eagles LoveR

said by Eagles LoveR:

wilt couldnt do it in this era... he would get thrown around he we all know he had no jumpshot...
First, you can't compare people from different eras.. And Wilt was 7'1" 275lbs when he played! He wouldn't get thrown around today.. And if he were in this era he'd have the luxury of todays weight-training & nutrition.. He also happened to be a superb track athlete, he would run/jump all over the NBA centers of today.

You obviously don't know much about the NBA beyond this current generation of stars. If you make ridiculous claims like the above, you're not doing your argument any good.

bumperboy

@verizon.net
reply to pro7070

The Question begs..What would Jordan's numbers be if #1..He came into the league playing a secondary role to Shaq..#2..WHAT WOULD JORDAN'S NUMBERS BE If Jordan had to matchup with players like Lebron, Wade, Iverson, McGrady, Vince Carter, Manu Ginobli, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Micheal Redd, Rip Hamilton, Jason Richardson, Shawn Marion, Bruce Bowen, and Joe Johnson night in and night out instead of the cakewalk competition like John Starks, Craig Ehlo, Jeff Hornacek, Byron Russell, and Glenn Rice...HOW MANY CHAMPIONSHIPS WOULD JORDAN AND THE BULLS HAVE WON if the Bulls would've PLAYED DURING THE 80'S AND faced the Magic and Kareem Showtime Lakers, The Bird Celtics, the Dr. J Sixers, and the Bad Boy Pistons in their Prime..Kareem would've Scored nearly 60,000 points if he Averaged as many Shot Attempts a game as Jordan

bumperboy

@verizon.net
reply to pro7070

Top 10 Greatest Players Ever
#1 Kareem Abdul Jabbar
#1B Magic Johnson
#2 Wilt Chamberlain
#3 Bill Russell
#4 Micheal Jordan=Rocky Marciano..FACED A BUNCH OF NOBODY'S
#5 Oscar Robertson
#6 Kobe Bryant...Still Climbing isn't protected by the NBA like Jordan was
#7 Larry Bird
#8 Dr. J
#9 Hakeem Olajuwan
10 Tim Duncan

bumperboy

@verizon.net
reply to pro7070

Micheal Jordan was the Biggest Ball Hog to Ever Play..Jordan set the NBA Record for most shot attempts 10 years straight..If Kareem shot as much as Jordan he would've EASILY Scored 60,000 points..Jordan NEVER EVER MATCHED UP WITH GREAT PLAYERS..Give Kobe Cakewalk Matchups like John Starks, Craig Ehlo, Jeff Hornacek, Byron Russell, and Glenn Rice on a night in night out basis and he would EASILY AVERAGE 40 points a game..Magic and Kareem had to go through NBA'S GREATEST TEAMS EVER like the Bad Boy Pistons, The Bird Celtics, and the Dr. J Sixers to win Titles..Jordan and the BULLS NEVER EVER faced an ALL TIME GREAT NBA TEAM IN THE FINALS...EVERY Team the Bulls faced in the finals would've gotten SMASHED by Magic and Kareem..How ANYONE could EVER say that Jordan is Better than Kareem is SMOKING CRACK...Your Level of competition should also be FACTORED in when Discussing Who the Greatest Ever Was...Jordan faced SUB PAR COMPETITION...Jordan is the Rocky Marciano of the NBA

bumperboy

@verizon.net
reply to pro7070

There is this Myth going around that Kobe is a Ball hog and takes too many shots...Let's compare Kobe to Kareem and Jordan
Kobe's Career Average Field Goal Attempts per Year is 1370
Kareem's Career Average Field Goal Attempts per Year is 1415
JORDAN'S Career Average Field Goal Attempts per Year is 1635

Jordan averages 265 MORE SHOT ATTEMPTS A YEAR THAN KOBE and 220 MORE SHOT ATTEMPTS PER YEAR THAN KAREEM...NOW WHY ISN'T ANYBODY CALLING JORDAN A BALLHOG?

If Kareem Shot as Much as Jordan he would've Scored Nearly 50-60,000 Points...Kobe is better than Jordan and Kareem is the Greatest EVER.