All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

halo989
join:2005-01-15

halo989

Router not responding

I have a wireless router that connects to all of my laptops except for one. I have disabled all the security (wep, mac filtering) but it still doesn't connect. This laptop can connect to other wireless networks. Any ideas?
BTW this is a laptop from Britain being used in America.

prestonlewis
Premium Member
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA

prestonlewis

Premium Member

You don't mention a couple of important things:

1. Are you using an internal NIC on your laptop or an external NIC?

2. Are you using WEP or PSK? (There is an IMPORTANT difference between the two that can interfere with connections.)

3. What wireless protocol are you using? A, B, G, pre-N?

The fact that you can connect to other networks should indicate it's not a British problem. Besides, wireless B & G and international standards. Countries shouldn't matter except that pesky Channels above 11 issue.

Simple solutions that probably isn't the problem:
1. You may not have enough DHCP IP addresses to give out from your router. Make sure you have enough set in the router setup.
2. Go into your laptop and give it it's own local IP address so it doesn't have to go to the router's DHCP to get one. If you router uses 192.168.1.1 as it's IP address, set your router to use 192.168.1.2 or any other unused address. Set the DNS settings to your routers IP address and add 4.2.2.1 as the secondary DNS setting. See if that makes any difference.

Good luck.

halo989
join:2005-01-15

halo989

1. internal nic
2. I was using WEP, but disabled it to make sure it wasnt a mac filtering or pass key problem
3. G

I tried all of your suggestions, but they didnt work.
The router won't even respond to this laptop. The laptop comes back saying that it did not receive a response from the router and so it must be out of range. However, I have full signal strength.

InGreenwood
@adultxspace.com

InGreenwood

Anon

said by halo989:

The laptop comes back saying that it did not receive a response from the router and so it must be out of range. However, I have full signal strength.
Check your MAC filtering.