uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

Digital converter box and satellite TV

How do i make Digital converter box work with satellite TV programming?
Why do would i want to do so when satellite receiver box is already digital?
Well i do not feel like paying $5 a month for something that should be free.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

said by Oleg:

You won't. The digital converter boxes are only for people that use an Antenna to receiver their over the air broadcast channels. You do not need one if you subscribe to cable or satellite tv.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

said by wings10:

said by Oleg:

You won't. The digital converter boxes are only for people that use an Antenna to receiver their over the air broadcast channels. You do not need one if you subscribe to cable or satellite tv.
I know this,but dam Dishnetwork charges $5 for local channels.

fozngoof
Premium
join:2003-07-08
Temple, TX

said by Oleg:

said by wings10:

said by Oleg:

You don't get charged for OTA locals. Just the locals THEY provide over the Sat.

hook up your antenna to the receiver and you should have local HD locals.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

Yep that is right fozngoof. And you get more locals then SAT provides. I get 2 CBS, 3 NBC, 3 ABC, 4 PBS etc. ALl FREE! And channels in HD as well.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

said by wings10:

Yep that is right fozngoof. And you get more locals then SAT provides. I get 2 CBS, 3 NBC, 3 ABC, 4 PBS etc. ALl FREE! And channels in HD as well.
Of course that depends on were you live...

Here in Key West I get ZERO, yet because of cable, MIAMI stations claim us as part of their local market though impossible to receive them OFF AIR... so I no longer qualify for nat network feeds via Sat. Being a late night person I really liked getting LA (CA) locals, also didn't conflict with other PT recording.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

said by Hayward:

said by wings10:

Of course that depends on were you live...

Here in Key West I get ZERO, yet because of cable, MIAMI stations claim us as part of their local market though impossible to receive them OFF AIR... so I no longer qualify for nat network feeds via Sat.
That stinks.
--

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Call them up and tell them you don't want the locals on your package.

Then get a digital converter box and hook it up to your antenna. Use a separate input on your TV.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

said by Jahntassa:

Then get a digital converter box and hook it up to your antenna. Use a separate input on your TV.
Correct.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to Jahntassa

said by Jahntassa:

Have you been asleep?????

There is NO POSSIBLE WAY to get MIAMI stations of air in KW even with a 75 ft tower... but because cable is so entrenched these das all the MIA stations consider us local market, even though no way to receive OTA... so are FORCED to take MIA local via SAT vs for a while before law became DARCONIAN, COULD take distant (being a late night person WC (LA) locals was just fine with me... but NO MORE!!! possible.
--

Snowcat

join:2004-02-02
Nashville, TN

Hayward, I am pretty sure Jahntassa's reply was to the originial poster and not to your particular situation.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits

Maybe should be more careful of how they reply then? Got direcetly back to me as an IM notice reply.)
--

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

said by wings10:

said by Oleg:

direct tv does not do that

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

DTV charges for Locals. They just increase the price of their packages that include locals.
--

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by wings10:

DTV charges for Locals. They just increase the price of their packages that include locals.
DTV Choice package, their 150 channel one, is $53 a month. Charter charges that for expanded basic 2-75.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to wings10

said by wings10:

And don't let you opt out if you do have OTA.
--

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by Hayward:

said by wings10:

does cable? nope.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit

said by 88615298:

said by Hayward:

said by wings10:

does cable? nope.
But yes DISH does for about same or less overall cost vs DTV cost, but does let you OPT out if you have OTA avalable and save the $6/mo they charge and DTV just includes, with no opt out..
--

pa555
Seconds Last

join:2001-05-11
Monrovia, CA
reply to fozngoof

By hooking your antenna to your receiver does that let you use the DVR for the OTA channels with out paying $5 for locals?

I have my OTA antenna hooked to TV and pay Dish for locals to have the DVR receiver work with the locals.

Paul

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

It works for me on D*. OTA is split to the TV and the converter box. The locals show up in the menu and I can record them.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

fozngoof
Premium
Temple, TX
reply to pa555

said by pa555:

By hooking your antenna to your receiver does that let you use the DVR for the OTA channels with out paying $5 for locals?

I have my OTA antenna hooked to TV and pay Dish for locals to have the DVR receiver work with the locals.

Paul
With Dish you don't have to pay.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

With DISH you do pay for local channels. $5.99.

»customersupport.dishnetwork.com/···dress.do
--

fozngoof
Premium
Temple, TX

I was referring to OTA locals. You don't have to pay for locals to use your DVR to record OTA locals.

I think your link is broken wings. It took me to see if my locals were available.........

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to Oleg

Unless you are trying to get OTA, and your TV cannot interpret ATSC signals, that would be the only reason needing a ATSC set top converter box. Otherwise if the Provider is able to send it to you through spot beam, there will be no need for it.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to fozngoof

said by fozngoof:

I was referring to OTA locals. You don't have to pay for locals to use your DVR to record OTA locals.

I think your link is broken wings. It took me to see if my locals were available.........
Yes it is to see if you can get your locals.

But the top portion tells you the costs which is what I was referring to.

Quote:

"DISH Network has you covered from coast to coast with your local channels available in over 174 cities for only $5.99/month! Local Channels may not currently be available in your area. To see if you qualify for local channels, fill out the information below and click "submit." Click here for a complete list of Available local markets."
--

satdude

@cox.net
reply to Oleg

If you are in South Florida you can tune in the Miami locals free from dish network. They have been FTA for years. The signal I quess is set this way so cuba can see the miami locals free to air. You will need an fta dvb receiver.
Dish filters these channels on there boxes.
see link »www.lyngsat.com/echo7.html
ALso there are a lot of locals on Galaxy 10 ku.
You can also go dvb-s on a fast computer and get just about everything. SD HD feeds you name it. Also stream live tv to other computers or over the internet.