Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to alg

Premium Member

to alg

Re: Contact lens without prescription

said by alg:

I don't understand why you need a script to buy contact lenses. If I know what type I need then why can't I just buy them? It's not like you can OD on contact lenses or turn them into drugs or anything like that.
Because you can seriously hurt your eyes if you use the wrong type of contact lenses.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg

Premium Member

said by Tzale:
said by alg:

I don't understand why you need a script to buy contact lenses. If I know what type I need then why can't I just buy them? It's not like you can OD on contact lenses or turn them into drugs or anything like that.
Because you can seriously hurt your eyes if you use the wrong type of contact lenses.
True, but you can do the same thing (damage your body) with just about any other OTC item even when taken "correctly" and not abused. What makes contacts worse?

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

1 edit

Tzale

Premium Member

said by alg:
said by Tzale:
said by alg:

True, but you can do the same thing (damage your body) with just about any other OTC item even when taken "correctly" and not abused. What makes contacts worse?
It is far easier to screw your eyes up permanently with the wrong contact lenses than it is to screw yourself up with Tylenol... If you follow the directions on the Tylenol bottle, you'll be alright. If you follow the direction on the contact lenses, you could hurt your eyes. Contact lenses are prescribed based on eye shape, tear production, size and general feel.

-Tzale

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

(topic move) Contact lens without prescription

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 10 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »split from "Contact lens without prescription"

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale

Re: Contact lens without prescription

said by Tzale:

Contact lenses are prescribed based on eye shape, tear production, size and general feel.

-Tzale
Contact lenses are based on size (diameter, curve), power, and astigmatism (if you have one).
A perscription can mandate a certain type/brand of contact lenses, mine have never mandated that. Mine just has the numbers which I enter into 1800 contacts and buy whatever I want.

Also, the only reason they have laws for 1 year or 2 year perscriptions is because if the contacts are somehow doing something bad to your eyes an eye doctor can catch it and stop you from buying that brand/type again.
I have no idea what would hurt your eyes without causing you discomfort or pain, but for some reason they do not trust you to know if your contacts are hurting you.

The perscription laws are probably there to make sure eye doctors make money. I would bet they did a lot of lobbying to get that mandate after they were forced to give patients their perscription.