Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

Comcast Bucket Trucks at 1am

There are two Comcast trucks roaming the neighborhood at 1am
They have that bucket thing in the back instead of a truck bed.

The guys are wearing a light on their heads, and a hard hat I think, and at least one has a laptop in the truck.

Think they were lost at first because then went across the street where there is a cable outlet of some sort covered by a green plastic cover with vents on the sides, not sure what it's called. Stayed there for about 2 minutes and drove off looking for another one I presume.

Just wondering if anyone knows what these guys maybe up to?

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR
Here in the Northwest buckettrucks are the LMC or Line Maintenance. Green cover with vents is referred to as a "Doghouse". As to what they are up to. It could be anything.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to jagged
1 AM? Somebody's getting some nice overtime The only time I've heard PG&E, AT&T or Comcast guys out here that late is during an emergency.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to jagged
said by jagged:

There are two Comcast trucks roaming the neighborhood at 1am
They have that bucket thing in the back instead of a truck bed.

The guys are wearing a light on their heads, and a hard hat I think, and at least one has a laptop in the truck.

Think they were lost at first because then went across the street where there is a cable outlet of some sort covered by a green plastic cover with vents on the sides, not sure what it's called. Stayed there for about 2 minutes and drove off looking for another one I presume.

Just wondering if anyone knows what these guys maybe up to?
Wanna bet it'd be Docsis 3 upgrades being rolled out?

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR
reply to jagged
True usually a 1 am truckroll something has gone horribly wrong. But like I said it could be anything.

Der_Idiot

join:2008-02-10
Norwood Young America, MN
reply to jagged
Must have been a node issue.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jagged
I would like to say they are busy rolling out Docsis 3, but my guess is it would be something more routine. On a happy note, we apparently got our upload speed boost tonight.

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to jagged
The 'Maintenance Window' is from 1AM-5AM. This is to minimize customer impact. No, it's not OT, unless Comcast has to call in techs who are not scheduled for the 'overnight' shift.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

3 edits
Well, like I said I've NEVER seen any utility trucks (PG&E, AT&T, Comcast) out here at that time of night except in emergencies, when they do standard maintenance on the lines it's during the day. Most areas out here (like my home of Redwood Valley) don't have street lights, so other than in the towns they'd be working in VERY dark conditions (optimal for viewing stars and the Milky Way though ).

Edit-They do have those bright lights like highway or railroad crews use to do construction, but again I've only seen utility crews use them in emergency conditions.

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to jagged
The 'Maintenance Window' is used for pre-scheduled maintenance and/or upgrading and/or node splitting and/or plant hardening and/or non-emergency system configuration/architecture work. Emergency work will happen 24/7/365. The maintenance you see during the day is for problem resolution affecting customers at that time. The overnight 'Maintenance Window' is a different animal altogether.

jjo1

@comcast.net
reply to jagged
Well, as a Comcast tech I can tell you that no matter what time of night, if there is a cable outage then a Comcast truck rolls out. And depending on the problem maybe two trucks. They were out there searching for a problem. (or maybe they were watching what you were downloading on the internet???)

linetechguy

@verizon.net
reply to jagged
There are also plenty of Comcast systems that have 24/7 maintenance. I actually start my shift @ 3am. And no. its not OT, its my regular shift. We actually get a lot more things accomplished in the overnight than you think!

linetechguy

@verizon.net
said by linetechguy :

There are also plenty of Comcast systems that have 24/7 maintenance. I actually start my shift @ 3am. And no. its not OT, its my regular shift. We actually get a lot more things accomplished in the overnight than you think!
One more thing to add to my post, the overnight guys are also in the system to quickly fix an outage. It makes more sense to have people actually working in the area to fix an outage rather than calling an on-call guy, which, depending on where the on call guys lives, could take substantially longer to respond to the outage.

ComcastTech

join:2008-05-31
ahhh i love going to those late night runs

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium
join:2001-07-14
SoCal
kudos:3

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

1 AM? Somebody's getting some nice overtime The only time I've heard PG&E, AT&T or Comcast guys out here that late is during an emergency.
I pulled ALOT of 11pm-8am shifts optimizing nodes and other major interruptive work that wasn't outage related. The vast majority of the work had to do with upgrades.

Had a 500w halogen mounted on my bucket (helped keep me warm too), a RF remote spotlight mounted on the roof of my truck, a LED headlamp on my hardhat, and a couple million candlepower hand spot lights. I made it look like a Hollywood premiere sometimes...

I'm still amazed how many times I got panhandled at 3 am...

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jagged
we had no outage last night...that I know of anyways ... they left that box thingy fast so I doubt it was upgrades ... boo

jjo1 so you watched what people downloaded?
I wasn't downloading anything, maybe that's why they left so fast

and yeah they wore hardhats with LED headlamp thingies

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

Wanna bet it'd be Docsis 3 upgrades being rolled out?
How much ???

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

Well, like I said I've NEVER seen any utility trucks (PG&E, AT&T, Comcast) out here at that time of night except in emergencies, when they do standard maintenance on the lines it's during the day.
Apples to oranges ?

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to jagged
Come on guys you know they were high and looking to score nuts from a tree squirrel. Why else would they have the buckets? Or perhaps they were planning on drag racing while paintballing one another from the cherrypicker? Hum, either way sounds like Comcrap to me...

FifthE1ement

--
»www.xphilez.com

Khaos
-K-OS-
Premium
join:2007-03-12
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to jagged
Depending on what part of Boynton it was either the Delray or WPB office was on an outage. Delray nor WPB have not adopted the maintance of cable or upgrades in the middle of the night yet. Neither office has a midnight shift.

It was an outage that occurred that was not affecting your street. That's why they opened the "PED", checked it and left to find the right one.

DOCSIS 3 upgrades are not implemented street wise. It is something that would be done at the hub and/or headend. Line cards and/or CMTS changes or upgrades are done at the hubsites. I don't see why they would send out anyone onto the streets to upgrade for DOCSIS 3.

South FL will not see DOCSIS 3 for quite a while. They are concentrating on Verizon markets first. Sarasota will be the only city for now to get DOCSIS 3.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to EG
said by EG:

said by RR Conductor:

Well, like I said I've NEVER seen any utility trucks (PG&E, AT&T, Comcast) out here at that time of night except in emergencies, when they do standard maintenance on the lines it's during the day.
Apples to oranges ?
Huh?

OpsSup

join:2008-06-02
reply to jagged
Had to be an outage, techs will check active to active looking for loss of signal
depending each local system, some techs may be on scheduled shift, or on call
here in Pittsburgh and affecting maintenance will be done between 1am and 5am

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to jagged
i cant wait to be back on night shift!!!!!

especially with this heat!!! 8pm-6am here i come!!! july cant come soon enough!!!!

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Khaos
said by Khaos:

Depending on what part of Boynton it was either the Delray or WPB office was on an outage. Delray nor WPB have not adopted the maintance of cable or upgrades in the middle of the night yet. Neither office has a midnight shift.

It was an outage that occurred that was not affecting your street. That's why they opened the "PED", checked it and left to find the right one.

DOCSIS 3 upgrades are not implemented street wise. It is something that would be done at the hub and/or headend. Line cards and/or CMTS changes or upgrades are done at the hubsites. I don't see why they would send out anyone onto the streets to upgrade for DOCSIS 3.

South FL will not see DOCSIS 3 for quite a while. They are concentrating on Verizon markets first. Sarasota will be the only city for now to get DOCSIS 3.
How about Tampa? They have FIOS...
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Khaos
-K-OS-
Premium
join:2007-03-12
West Palm Beach, FL
Sarasota is first then i am sure all FIOS markets are next. But no luck for us farther south in the 51st. state being South Florida.

»elpoep.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/···t-state/

»www.pensitoreview.com/2008/05/09···t-state/

Sterling
IP Support Tier III
Premium
join:2003-05-30
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to jagged
Looks like they were checking the lines for egress

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

2 edits
reply to jagged
They are roaming around trying to steal wifi to tamper with routers using DSL/FIOS so they get frustrated and switch to Comcast. Its a cleaver scheme.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to Sterling
How can you tell ?

Do you mean ingress ?

RR Conductor