All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sf_loft
join:2008-06-06

sf_loft

[Speed Problem] ATT DSL Scam - Monitor your download speeds cons

I have been with ATT DSL for quite some time now, ~5+ years. Over those years, I have had many instances where my speed gets slow. I use to think that it was maintenance or network issues, but I believe that ATT lowers user bandwidth regularly to save cost. For example, I have been paying for the last 2 years, the elite package, which advertises 3-6mbps down. I live pretty close to the CO and when I run my test, I usually get around 5.1-5.4 Mbps. Within the last 2 years, I have reported at least 4 instances with tech support / maintenance regarding slow download speeds which is well below my advertised and what I usually get. Each time they say that my line tests just fine and offer to bring in a technician for $60/hr if nothing is faulty with my line. Each time I refuse and continue to complain and magically, 2-3 days later, my connection comes back to regular advertised speed. Same thing happened again a few days ago, but I have noticed the slowness for at least 2 months where all my streaming videos and downloads would buffer a lot. I then ran a test and noticed that I was only getting 1.2Mbps, but the upload remains the same. I contacted the online agent and tech support who tells me that I'm signed up for the correct elite package and that my line is completely fine. The proceeded to give me a trouble ticket # and it simply triggered some automated system to run a test and leave an automated message on my answering machine, stating that there is nothing wrong with my connection.

After getting the trouble ticket, I called the maintenance department who tells me that he needed to set my account to the appropriate package level because it did not match what I was being billed for. I then asked him when my account was set for lower bandwidth so that I can contact billing to credit the difference. He flat out refused and told me that he couldn't give me that information. I contacted billing and they tell me to call maintenance to get a date. So ATT is basically avoiding me and bouncing me around between depts.

This is not the first time and if you don't regularly check and complain, they will simply downgrade your service on the back-end even though you are charged for a higher service. I think this is a way for them to cut cost.

To everyone, please regularly check your download bandwidth and make sure that you are not given something slower than what you are paying for.

I would like to hear who else is getting this and will think about a class action lawsuit to get our money back for falsifying advertised speeds. If you complain enough and call them, they will correct your speed, but a little while later, they will simply downgrade you again.
sousuke
join:2008-03-02

sousuke

Re: [Speed Problem] ATT DSL Scam - Monitor your download speeds

I also had that problem, i had to call them 4 times to get my line readjusted to 1536 but currently i'm not getting what i paid for. i bought the 3.0 mbps package but all i'm getting is 1.5mbps with of course very frequent disconnections. =(

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to sf_loft

MVM

to sf_loft
Ever check your line stats when you were having troubles? If they changed your speed profile, it would show in the line stats; and you would be justified to lean on them.
NormanS

NormanS to sousuke

MVM

to sousuke
said by sousuke:

I also had that problem, i had to call them 4 times to get my line readjusted to 1536 but currently i'm not getting what i paid for. i bought the 3.0 mbps package but all i'm getting is 1.5mbps with of course very frequent disconnections. =(
And what about your line stats? I saw my speed drop to around 900kps, once. During a bout with voice line problems. Took a few calls to get is sorted out. But you need information to get them to move.

Munchies510
@sbcglobal.net

Munchies510 to sf_loft

Anon

to sf_loft
Yeah I got fed up with att cause of that. I posted it in sbcdirect and my speed hasn't gone down any more. I get less dc also. I use to dc about 20 times a day with speed only at 1.5mbps
ignoramus1
join:2007-01-04
Hollister, CA

ignoramus1 to sf_loft

to sf_loft
I experience the same thing all the time for 2 years now. I thought buying a new modem would improve the connection. I'm really certain of my decision to move to a local ISP that has been given rave reviews here.
ultradark
join:2003-01-15
San Diego, CA

ultradark to sf_loft

to sf_loft
I have the exact same issue, except it's fairly consistent (3 months, 6 months and 12 months or 6 and 12 months).

Your sync profile matches whatever you purchased, but your redback (router) profile is set to the slower speed.

Matter of fact, I called last night and demanded to speak with tier 2, after a lengthy hold, I spoke with tier 2. After explaining what I knew to be the case, he checked both profiles and sure enough the redback profile was set to 1.5 (it should have been 6). A quick change and I was back in business.

He made the excuse that sometimes they have trouble with the database and then mentioned something about a possibly faulty router. I don't buy either, but hey it's easy to call and have them fix it. Demand to speak with Tier 2 support. They are the only ones who can fix the issue.
Dv Jones
join:2004-02-22
San Francisco, CA

Dv Jones

I think these problems are most likely actual technical problems or perhaps accidental screwups and not some conspiracy. Huge companies like AT&T/SBC do not usually employ these practices becuase they could get sued and they are very risk averse. I had some speed problems a few times last year and the sbcdirect folks were very helpful in fixing it.

ultradark_1
@dhs.gov

ultradark_1

Anon

I'm just telling you that my issue is consistent. The provisioning doesn't match the router. One database always shows 6mb config, but the router seems to magically revert back to 1.5mb.

FYI there are no noise issues on my line, SNR is outstanding, no crc errors or packet loss. Ping times are less than 15ms usually.

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev

Where exactly are you going to run these tests?

lonely planet
@124.217.80.x

lonely planet to sf_loft

Anon

to sf_loft
You may want to use AT&T's speed test site and use that as a reference that you are not getting the correct speed you are paying for. It keeps track and records the speed of your connection on their servers. This way you do not have to contact technical department for proof of your connectivity.
ultradark
join:2003-01-15
San Diego, CA

ultradark

There isn't any proof needed. You call SBC, force them to point you to tier 2, and tier 2 fixes the problem. They see and fix the issue, but it does seem strange that it keeps happening to some people.

I personally am not a heavy internet user, but I do go through spurts where I download quite a bit (5-10GB) in a few hours or days and then just regular internet surfing.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by ultradark:

They see and fix the issue, but it does seem strange that it keeps happening to some people.
But not to everybody, or even most everybody. Too inconsistent to be a policy.

cphan
@sbcglobal.net

cphan to sf_loft

Anon

to sf_loft
I've had this happen to me several times. I'm in the middle of getting this resolved yet again. I'm thinking class action.
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi

Premium Member

Cool! I've had it happen to me so I'd be part of the class. Let's see, what will I do with the $1 credit I'll get from AT&T....hmmm, hard to decide, so many possibilities.
/sarcasm

Don't be ridiculous. Good luck proving intent.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l to cphan

MVM

to cphan
Bwaahahaha! Gasp. Gasp. ... can't stop laughing. Gasp. You're too funny. Stop it.

You're not an unemployed lawyer breaking in material for your new stand up comedy act, are you?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS to cphan

MVM

to cphan
You must be one of the attorneys who would file the case. Only the attorneys make money on class action law suits.
yann74
join:2008-08-14

1 recommendation

yann74 to sf_loft

to sf_loft

Re: [Speed Problem] ATT DSL Scam Solution

Just visit the Better business bureau (»www.labbb.org), or contact the states controller's office, or the office of the controler general in Washington. THey usually are pretty aware of these practices, and believe me, they act very efficiently, in contacting the company, when a complaint is issued.
Also every 3 months, the bureau will count the amount of complaints, filed against a business, at the local, state, and nation level, and then will forward their findings to the attorney general.

Complaints look very awful, when a company needs to bring their numbers to wall street, and it can work against a corporation, when the SEC review merger, and acquisitions.

SO really, if all of you (since i did file a complaint successfully, and received a letter from ATT trying to explain, and kissing my consumer's ass-as expected, and it felt great-lol). SO if all of you filed a complaint, and provide the BBB.org with your info+complaint+links to this web forum...
We should force ATT to provide what we pay for.
By the way, here are some very efficient words, used in the language of law:
-Bait and switch
-Unfair and deceptive practices
-Violation of the Fair and Labeling Act
-Violation of Consumer Act
-Abuse of consumer trust

Let's all get smarter and play their game...Let's apply the law. THere are solutions, many, many...And the Net is an open access to these solutions.
Good luck

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by yann74:

SO really, if all of you (since i did file a complaint successfully, and received a letter from ATT trying to explain, and kissing my consumer's ass-as expected, and it felt great-lol). SO if all of you filed a complaint, and provide the BBB.org with your info+complaint+links to this web forum...
We should force ATT to provide what we pay for.
By the way, here are some very efficient words, used in the language of law:
-Bait and switch
-Unfair and deceptive practices
-Violation of the Fair and Labeling Act
-Violation of Consumer Act
-Abuse of consumer trust
I would have to be a victim to file a complaint, yes? I have only once had my speed profile go wrong, and AT&T fixed it right away. I had to bring it to their attention first, of course. Somehow, I suspect that I would have to show a good faith effort to work with AT&T to resolve an issue before I could make a complaint out of it.

doubleatheman
@pacbell.net

doubleatheman to sf_loft

Anon

to sf_loft

This has happend to me a few times with att dsl over the years.

way back when they said it was an ober loaded "redback server"

as always 4 long phone calls later and a tech visit, my dsl speeds are up to what they should be.

my friends att dsl also did this, he called same deal. ( he does live down the street, it may be a local issue.

my speeds were 1mbps-400k at the slowest, and they are normaly 2.6-2.7 mbps

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to yann74

Premium Member

to yann74

Re: [Speed Problem] ATT DSL Scam Solution

You could post in direct too and I can probably fix the problem as well.
captnCandy
join:2008-07-10
Atwater, CA

captnCandy to sf_loft

to sf_loft

im interleaved and now my Dl speed dropped from 150Kbs to 38.4 Kbs

any help here??

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

This is twice that you have jumped into a thread with a problem probably unrelated to the original post. Here, read this FAQ:

»AT&T West FAQ » What information do you need in order to help me with my DSL problem?

Then, when you understand how to request assistance, please, start your own thread with a clear problem statement, and the requested information.

CBLMorphis
join:2001-02-25
Riverside, CA

1 recommendation

CBLMorphis to sf_loft

to sf_loft
Some weeks ago I downloaded some stuff, and all of a sudden my speeds dropped. Like this guy said I have had ATT for over 5 years or so. 6Mit. Everytime I call support they never find a problem, nor anything wrong with the lines.

Not to mention 3 techs did come out and said their wasn't any problem.

They blamed it on my hardware even though it worked for a good 4-5 years with no problems.

Speedtests work great, and doing ftp tests was excellent.

But soon as I got on the newsgroups and started getting some stuff my speeds would drop down to nothing. I called my news provider and they said no issues to report.

One day it just fixed it self. I have wondered the same, if ATT throtals or slows you down when you consume to much B/W.

While I think its highly unlikly, but wouldn't put it passed me.
AdemoS
join:2005-08-21
Fairfield, CT

AdemoS to sf_loft

to sf_loft
I have tried complaining to customer service about this but the person on the phone usually reminds me of this statement:
said by "http://worldnet.att.net/general-info/terms-dsl-data.html" :
h. Speed of Service. The actual speed of the Services experienced by you may vary and depends on a number of factors, such as the location of your residence, the amount of traffic on the Internet, the ability of your computer to process data, environmental factors, and other factors beyond the control of AT&T. AT&T reserves the right to monitor or change your current plan speed at any time. No minimum level of speed is guaranteed.
noktekniq
join:2004-01-26
Millbrae, CA

noktekniq to sf_loft

to sf_loft
my speed has dropped last month and it got resolved after i caalled into tech. this month it haappened again. i can't get above 1.2mbps download. upload is @ 400kbps.

i'm thinking about leaving comcast if it doesn't get resolved or if it continues
mshilly
join:2008-12-05
Rocklin, CA

mshilly to sf_loft

to sf_loft
I just went through this with my Express (1.5Mb/s) subscription. Was getting only 640Kb/s after having paid for 1.5 for more than a year now. I thought that it may have been that I could only get that because of the line attenuation at 63dB. I posted on direct support forum and three days later I an now at 1.250Mb/s. No reply or email or notification at all, it just changed overnight.

If you have low speed post your problem and stats file on the direct forum. Looks like they read it and react to it.
noktekniq
join:2004-01-26
Millbrae, CA

noktekniq

said by mshilly:

I just went through this with my Express (1.5Mb/s) subscription. Was getting only 640Kb/s after having paid for 1.5 for more than a year now. I thought that it may have been that I could only get that because of the line attenuation at 63dB. I posted on direct support forum and three days later I an now at 1.250Mb/s. No reply or email or notification at all, it just changed overnight.

If you have low speed post your problem and stats file on the direct forum. Looks like they read it and react to it.
i'm still waiting for them to resolve this... i've posted in the direct forum too. this is day 3.
HelpMENOW9
join:2009-01-08
San Francisco, CA

HelpMENOW9 to sf_loft

to sf_loft
same problem, i got quite fustrated and called them everyday, swearing at them and literally spitting into my phone. Eventually the speed got to a constant 1.2 mbps even though i'm supposed to have 1.5 mbps. The lady i called kept giving me some crap about how 1.5mbps was the highest speed. Swore at her, talked to her supervisor, swore some more, supervisor gave me more crap, swore A LOT more. After swearing that much, my dsl line miracously went back up to about a constant 1.4 mbps.

I'm still disconnecting after 6:30PM though, DSL light flashes red, disconnects me, i reconnect, super friggin annoying.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by HelpMENOW9:

same problem, i got quite fustrated and called them everyday, swearing at them and literally spitting into my phone. Eventually the speed got to a constant 1.2 mbps even though i'm supposed to have 1.5 mbps.
If you are moving data at 1.2 mb/s, your modem probably has synch at 1.5 mb/s. That is as good as it gets for Express, so long as AT&T does not allow the connection to "oversynch".