how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jsmiddleton4

join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ

[FireFox] Can't open link in Fire Fox, works in IE7

Noob to Fire Fox and am still tackling some of the learning curve.

This site »panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/b···dex.html has a link on a pull down menu that you choose the location of using the Panasonic product to d/l the appropriate firmware. When I hit "Go" in IE7, works fine. Goes to the "next" page for the d/l options.

However in Fire Fox hitting "Go" does nothing. I've setup the popup settings to make sure I'm not blocking something, have gone through all settings to see what it is I have set that is preventing this link from working. Its gotta be something but I can't find it. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

What version of Fx are you using?

There is a bug filed for a java issue in Fx v3 series.

»bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=435334
-------------
Do you have java installed and if so are you blocking it with a security program unintentionally or intentionally?

Some software firewalls will block java and js on demand.
--
"We must look for consistency. Where there is a want of it we must suspect deception".

JTM1051
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
Moorpark, CA
kudos:1
reply to jsmiddleton4

Had the same problem with Fx 2.0.0.14, Win XP Pro SP3 and Java 1.6.0_05.

Close Fx, tried with Opera 9.27 and worked OK.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
reply to jsmiddleton4

Thanks guys. Using the 2.00.14, XP but its SP2. Java is 1.6.0.5_b13.

Will look at the link on the bug report. Seems odd. Yet I guess as in any love affair at some point your are faced with the reality that this lover may have "issues" just like the last one....

Sorta sobering....

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ
reply to Grail Knight

Checked out the links. Don't think I'm blocking it with any firewall. Just running XP's firewall. Does work on IE7 but I know that's not exactly the same context. My company's laptop that I can use for personal use is still using IE6 and believe me it has a firewall that would block a nuclear war. The link opens fine with IE6.

So other than the obvious, use a different browser, any fix for this in Fire Fox?

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla

1 edit

Edit* Removed post as modemhead explained the issue with the site and Fx.
--
"We must look for consistency. Where there is a want of it we must suspect deception".

ModemHead
hmmm... what does this do?
Premium
join:2006-01-22
Apex, NC
reply to jsmiddleton4

The problem with that page is Javascript-related. Not Java. You can see this yourself if you open the Error Console under the Tools menu, clear it, then click the GO button.

Without getting too technical, the coding technique used to implement the GO button uses an old, non-standard construct that is not supported by Firefox.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ

1 edit

Thanks for the explanation but some of us need help with understanding what the explanation means in terms of action steps. So report it to the site? Tell them there is some old code causing problems?

I may have gotten to the error console over time as I was just banging on page info, stuff like that thinking whatever is going on must be showing up somewhere. Just did the error console thing and its clear, form is undefined.

ModemHead
Premium
Apex, NC

1 edit

Sorry for being too vague. Yes, you should report the problem to the site owners if possible. That's the only way it will ever work with Firefox. Some non-standard compatibility has been "quietly" added to Firefox to deal with some of these issues, but unfortunately this case isn't one of them.

And yes, the code is "old". Specifically, they should not expect form names to be in the document object namespace. The recommended way nowadays is to use the function GetElementById().

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ

Thanks. Not vague. I'm sure some folks would prefer not be told what to do especially if they can figure it out. However some of us folks who are not technically at that level really appreciate it when someone lets us know the answer to the "Then what?" question.

I notified them. Not sure anything will be done. But did notify them.

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
reply to ModemHead

Thanks for the explanation.

ModemHead
Premium
Apex, NC
reply to jsmiddleton4

Just a follow-up to be technically accurate for posterity:

I earlier stated that the javascript code on the OP's problem page would never work in Firefox but that isn't exactly true. A closer examination of the page's source code shows a DOCTYPE header stating that the page is HTML 4.01 compliant (which it is NOT.) That puts Firefox in a strict mode where the code will not work. If the header is removed, Firefox relaxes it's standards and the code works.

The bottom line is still the same: the Panasonic web site authors should update their Javascript code, or at least not include a header stating the page is W3C standards compliant.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ

1 edit

What I was wondering is if any of the IE plugins would allow this to work inside Firefox? As I'm learning at this point all the plugins are kinda overwhelming but I did see a couple of IE plugins that leave me wondering if that would work as well.

Would be nice if there was an option to turn off the strict mode thing. Can that be done in ChromeEdit in a user.js file, something like that?

Edit: Did some quick searching. Looks like the "strict mode" thing is one of those "philosphical" things in the IE7/8 vs Mozilla/Firefox on-going Hatfields and McCoys hey?

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

I use IE Tab and it is perfect for sites like the one you are having a problem with.

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Just right click any link and select "Open link in IE Tab" from the context menu.
--

ModemHead
Premium
Apex, NC
reply to jsmiddleton4

The IE Tab extension will use the IE rendering engine embedded within Windows to display sites inside an Fx tab, so if IE works, so will the tab. Disclaimer: I've never actually tried this extension, as I won't let IE or ActiveX come anywhere near Fx.

The relaxed mode is called "quirks mode" and according to what I read, it's controlled strictly (pun intended) by the DOCTYPE header embedded in the page's code. I guess they don't expect websites to "lie" about that like the Panasonic site in question.

Proxy software such as Proxomitron, with a specially written filter, could alter or remove the DOCTYPE header before the browser even sees it. Doesn't really seem like it's worth the trouble for one website though.

And yes, strict vs. loose HTML/DOM compliance is and has always been an ongoing argument. Complicated by the fact that the browser with the overwhelming market share is generally the least compliant. So if your spiffy new browser is 100% standards-compliant, but won't work on pages sloppily written for the "other" browser, is it wrong? End users just want it to work. Web developers don't want to have to spend hours trying to get their websites to work on every browser. Tough call.

jsmiddleton4

Glendale, AZ

1 edit
reply to jsmiddleton4

Thanks. Will go and get it now.

Works great. Added the site to the filters/defaults in the plug-in so I don't have to manually select open with ie tab each time. Just does so automatically.