hmmm... what does this do?
Premium Member
join:2006-01-22
Apex, NC

ModemHead to jsmiddleton4

Premium Member

to jsmiddleton4

Re: [FireFox] Can't open link in Fire Fox, works in IE7

The problem with that page is Javascript-related. Not Java. You can see this yourself if you open the Error Console under the Tools menu, clear it, then click the GO button.

Without getting too technical, the coding technique used to implement the GO button uses an old, non-standard construct that is not supported by Firefox.
jsmiddleton4
join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ

1 edit

jsmiddleton4

Thanks for the explanation but some of us need help with understanding what the explanation means in terms of action steps. So report it to the site? Tell them there is some old code causing problems?

I may have gotten to the error console over time as I was just banging on page info, stuff like that thinking whatever is going on must be showing up somewhere. Just did the error console thing and its clear, form is undefined.

ModemHead
hmmm... what does this do?
Premium Member
join:2006-01-22
Apex, NC

1 edit

ModemHead

Premium Member

Sorry for being too vague. Yes, you should report the problem to the site owners if possible. That's the only way it will ever work with Firefox. Some non-standard compatibility has been "quietly" added to Firefox to deal with some of these issues, but unfortunately this case isn't one of them.

And yes, the code is "old". Specifically, they should not expect form names to be in the document object namespace. The recommended way nowadays is to use the function GetElementById().
jsmiddleton4
join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ

jsmiddleton4

Thanks. Not vague. I'm sure some folks would prefer not be told what to do especially if they can figure it out. However some of us folks who are not technically at that level really appreciate it when someone lets us know the answer to the "Then what?" question.

I notified them. Not sure anything will be done. But did notify them.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to ModemHead

Premium Member

to ModemHead
Thanks for the explanation.