Living my life like it's golden
Premium
join:2007-07-07
Baltimore, MD
kudos:1
should be this:
Default admin username- admin
Default admin password- password

unless you have a comcast gateway of course. in that case it would probably be "comcast" and "1234"
--
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Reset

@qwest.net

Re: VISTA Can't Browse (Default User/Password - NetGear CG814wg)

Thanks, the comcast / 1234 got me in.

Now have one more issue to resolve, then all should be well.

Set WiFi to WPA-PSK and all computers are able to establish a WiFi connection. However Windows VISTA system can ping yahoo etc. but browser cannot open any pages. Cannot even open the router page (192.168.0.1). All Windows XP systems work fine.

Know may way around XP quite well but newbie to VISTA.

Please help, thanks again.

JahsDisciple
Premium
Baltimore, MD
said by Reset :

However Windows VISTA system can ping yahoo etc. but browser cannot open any pages. Cannot even open the router page (192.168.0.1).
sounds like a definite browser issue to me. assuming you use IE7, i would open that page and then...
-click on tools
-internet options
-restore everything to default amongst the tabs
-but most importantly, go to Connections
-click LAN Settings at the bottom
-and make sure none of the boxes are checked. any proxy settings could be causing this issue.
-apply and/or ok. then close/relaunch the browser.
--
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Reset

@comcast.net
Still no joy. Browser says "Website found. Waiting for reply..."

Need help. Thanks.

Reset

@comcast.net
Is there anything about Google Desktop that can cause this sort of behavior? Reason I ask is the Google desktop comes up and can search with Google but can not get to any of the resulting search links. For example Yahoo...

KYL

join:2007-03-07
Wilsonville, OR
reply to Reset

Re: Default User/Password - NetGear CG814wg

The recent update/firmware release that took place last month that was supposed to fix Xbox live problems caused another issue. The encryption method/algorithm is different (aka comcast 64 is no longer 5162b03586) and now there are issues present with WPA and any Vista OS.

Switch your security to WEP and Vista will work like a charm.

Plenty of trouble calls in the last month to back this up with...

JahsDisciple
Premium
Baltimore, MD
said by KYL:

The recent update/firmware release that took place last month that was supposed to fix Xbox live problems caused another issue. The encryption method/algorithm is different (aka comcast 64 is no longer 5162b03586) and now there are issues present with WPA and any Vista OS.

Switch your security to WEP and Vista will work like a charm.

Plenty of trouble calls in the last month to back this up with...
good to know.
--

Reset

@intel.com
reply to KYL
Thanks for the info. Have a few questions.

1) Did/Comcast force/push the firmware update for Xbox live fix or would it of had to be initiated/performed by the customer?

2) Were there issues with WPA and the previous firmware, and if not can I downgrade? Do not need Xbox live support here, but WPA is highly desirable.

3) Would being able browse to Google.com but nowhere else, and being able to ping everywhere such as Yahoo, etc. be consistent with the symptoms of the Xbox live fix firmware update caused WPA/Vista issues? Seems strange... would think it would either work or wouldn't work.

Thanks, again.

KYL

join:2007-03-07
Wilsonville, OR
1) It was pushed to all the netgear gateways.

2) No there were not any MAJOR issues with WPA like the one that is currently present with Vista. No you cannot downgrade.

3) Yes

Try it without any encryption and check your DNS settings. Worse case, buy your own router?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
said by KYL:

1) Worse case, buy your own router?
I personally would make that choice and drop the CC Home Networking package for many other reasons in addition to having to lower my security to using WEP....
Expand your moderator at work

JahsDisciple
Premium
Baltimore, MD
reply to EG

Re: Default User/Password - NetGear CG814wg

said by EG:

said by KYL:

1) Worse case, buy your own router?
I personally would make that choice and drop the CC Home Networking package for many other reasons in addition to having to lower my security to using WEP....
gateways here in Baltimore can now use WPA. wasnt always like that though and i would still personally prefer using your own router.
--

reply to Reset
you want to login as super user and not admin... more feature are available to you as super user... check my thread

instructions are there : )

»forum1.netgear.com/showthread.ph···uperuser

Barker

@comcast.net
reply to Reset
The Superuser trick doesnt work if youre a comcast subscriber...The only thing that lets you log in is Comcast-1234

=(

Pomalink

@comcast.net
reply to Reset
i'm having the same issue.
I have comcast ISP with Netgear cg814wg v2.
internet works great with XP and Mac OSX.
however, it is very limited in Vista...only Google
and other few websites works.

I cant even check newegg.com or hotmail.com.
only access to Router is thru username: comcast Pass:1234

not enough option to change firewall or any technical setting.

guess the only thing left to do is get another router!

JahsDisciple
Premium
Baltimore, MD
said by Pomalink :

i'm having the same issue.
I have comcast ISP with Netgear cg814wg v2.
internet works great with XP and Mac OSX.
however, it is very limited in Vista...only Google
and other few websites works.
is your dns automatically obtained? if so and it still fails, have you tried to statically configure using something like opendns?
--

diego

@comcast.net
reply to Reset
i have the same problem..i cant logging with superuser-password

i can only do it with comcast-1234

anyone knows any other way to log in so i have more access?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by diego :

anyone knows any other way to log in so i have more access?
It's not likely you will be able to access any more than you already can with that device as Comcast typically cripples the firmware that they load into it..

diego

@comcast.net
reply to Reset
mm well i have a problem with steam..everytime i get in a game server it freezes and kicks me out...and the superuser-password doesnt work with my router..

i tried changing windows firewall,port forwarding..resetting router..i tried everything i know..i dont know what else to do..can someone help me plz?

JahsDisciple
Premium
Baltimore, MD
said by diego :

mm well i have a problem with steam..everytime i get in a game server it freezes and kicks me out...and the superuser-password doesnt work with my router..

i tried changing windows firewall,port forwarding..resetting router..i tried everything i know..i dont know what else to do..can someone help me plz?
»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!
--