share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to clarence

Re: [Scam] Anthony Morrison/Hidden Millionaires Infomercial

said by clarence:

could i hear from anyone(who lives in the sacramento area)who actually purchased anthony`s program and is having success with it.
I don't think you're going to hear anything except the wind whistling, and maybe some crickets. But I think I did see a tumbleweed roll past just now.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
kudos:1
reply to clarence

said by clarence:

could i hear from anyone(who lives in the sacramento area)who actually purchased anthony`s program and is having success with it.
A long time ago we asked for links to some of their successful web-pages and the answers we got range from "We'll steal their web-page ideas" to "they are not allowed".

I know if I had a site that had pay per click(or whatever) links on it I would LOVE to have all the free advertising I could get and this thread has run at the top of Google(AM/Hidden Millionaire) searches for a very long time.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3
reply to Doctor Four

Why would someone who has a secret to make money so easily would want to sell it to you. If that's so easy, why he doesn't do it himself.

There's nothing easy or free in life.

SCAM
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here

1 edit
He claims he makes millions using his plan and he shares it because he is a good guy.

ORLY

@cox.net
reply to Doctor Four

I'm no fan of Anthony Morrison, however I wouldn't call what he's doing a scam. The guy is selling an educational program. It's really no different than the 'Learn how to Flip Houses' programs on the late-night infomercials.

That being said, he's not being clear up front that his program requires a large investment to learn, is based on paid advertising, and has a steep learning curve. I've managed $50K+/month PPC campaigns for many years and finding profitable keywords is not that easy. Not to mention that keyword prices change, trends change, and affiliate offers change. Also, doing a good job requires money. Money for tools, software, and to get started. You have to fund PPC campaigns after all - and making $100/day profit requires at least $100/day in advertising.

I wouldn't want to try teaching web marketing to the general population for exactly this reason. It requires lots of time, money, and work to do well. It would be a challenge to teach 1 person to make money online - let alone a whole room full. I doubt that more than 10% of Anthony's clients ever make a dollar - and less than 1% make back what they spent on the program.

Still, that doesn't make it a scam. A scam by definition is a con. It's done with the intent of taking money and giving nothing in return. Those nigerian emails are scams. The 'you won a huge cash award - just send us $499 to claim it' are scams. Anthony's educational program probably does give people the foundation for making money online, and some people likely have made money after going to his seminar. Misleading? Yes. Overhyped? Yes. But Scam? Nope.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
Your definition is way off. When something/anything is misleading, then it is a scam. 100% scam. AM claims he is hardly working and making hundreds of thousands of dollars each month and you can too (if you pay enough). All scams are not of the Nigerian 419 type only and buying into his "coaching programs" is a scam as there is nothing more than further attempts for more coaching and more coaching upsells one on top of another to allegedly fast track your earnings ability which doesn't happen.

All jobs do NOT require that you spend large amounts of money. Now there are franchises that require an investment, and automotive technicians invest in tools to perform their jobs, but there are many more jobs (85%) that do NOT require anything to be spent in order to be able to perform the work and they are in the majority to be sure.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

ORLY

@cox.net
Sorry Doc, but your definition of scam is off. From dictionary.com-

Scam: a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, esp. for making a quick profit; swindle. To cheat or defraud with a scam.

There's nothing about 'misleading' in the definition. If you want to go there, then pretty much EVERYTHING is a scam by your definition. The happy people in the commercial eating McDonalds? (barf) SCAM. The woman on deaths door who takes DayQuil and suddenly feels amazing? SCAM. The Tide detergent that removes ALL stains immediately? SCAM.

Unfortunately our society requires that the effectiveness of everything be grossly overstated in order to get anyone's attention.

Of course I'm assuming that it's possible to make money by following AM's course. If it's NOT possible, then of course it's a scam.

Regarding your second paragraph - not sure what point you're trying to make there? Pretty much any non-W2 'job' requires an investment. That doesn't make his program a scam.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by ORLY :

Sorry Doc, but your definition of scam is off. From dictionary.com-

Scam: a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, esp. for making a quick profit; swindle. To cheat or defraud with a scam.

There's nothing about 'misleading' in the definition.
No that's not correct, but I'll help you:

fraudulent
Main Entry: fraud·u·lent
Pronunciation: \-lnt\
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century

: characterized by, based on, or done by fraud : deceitful

Then:

deceitful
Main Entry: de·ceit·ful
Pronunciation: \-fl\
Date: 15th century

: having a tendency or disposition to deceive: a : not honest b : deceptive, misleading [deceitful advertising]

Then:

Main Entry: mis·lead
Pronunciation: \mis-ld\
Entry Word: misleading
Meaning: tending or having power to deceive [the misleading text of the advertisement would like you to believe that youre getting something for nothing] — see deceptive
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Doctor Olds

I'm not going to get mixed up in semantics. I'm sure that AM's activities are 100% legal. But, I also know, I can find other educational materials for similar systems **much** cheaper on the internet, and now that I know what I'm doing, I can find the information I need for free.

Its not a question of "misleading" at the end of the day, its a question of value.
--
standard disclaimers apply.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by AVD:

I'm not going to get mixed up in semantics.
It's actually depth of vocabulary.

said by AVD:

I'm sure that AM's activities are 100% legal.
That is not in line with 2/3rds of the posts here. You are however entitled to your opinion even when the consensus of opinion is the polar opposite.
--

ORLY

@cox.net
Hey Olds - not so much depth of vocabulary as it is if misleading=scam. You didn't address my other points. Everything in the United States is marketed in a misleading way - that doesn't make them a scam. Therefore just because something is misleading does NOT make it a scam. You even had to go through several words to connect the 2. Sorry, that doesn't make them synonyms.

My issue is that the word scam is thrown about way too much these days. Like I said - everything is marketed in a misleading way (look at cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, clothes, EVERYTHING) - but for something to be a scam there has to be intent to steal or con behind it.

You could argue that AM is knowingly ripping people off - and you might be right - however if the knowledge he's selling gives SOME of his students the skills to make money online, then his product is not a scam.

Not everyone who goes to medical school ends up being a doctor (thank goodness). That doesn't make medical school a scam - just means that not everyone has the proper mindset or skill set to do it.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by ORLY :

Hey Olds - not so much depth of vocabulary as it is if misleading=scam. You didn't address my other points. Everything in the United States is marketed in a misleading way - that doesn't make them a scam. Therefore just because something is misleading does NOT make it a scam. You even had to go through several words to connect the 2. Sorry, that doesn't make them synonyms.

My issue is that the word scam is thrown about way too much these days. Like I said - everything is marketed in a misleading way (look at cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, clothes, EVERYTHING) - but for something to be a scam there has to be intent to steal or con behind it.

You could argue that AM is knowingly ripping people off - and you might be right - however if the knowledge he's selling gives SOME of his students the skills to make money online, then his product is not a scam.

Not everyone who goes to medical school ends up being a doctor (thank goodness). That doesn't make medical school a scam - just means that not everyone has the proper mindset or skill set to do it.
My question to you, Mr. ORLY, is any product or service provided by AM worth the money he is asking for?
--
standard disclaimers apply.

MGD
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-31
kudos:9

1 edit
reply to ORLY

said by ORLY :

I'm no fan of Anthony Morrison, however I wouldn't call what he's doing a scam. The guy is selling an educational program. It's really no different than the 'Learn how to Flip Houses' programs on the late-night infomercials.

That being said, he's not being clear up front that his program requires a large investment to learn, is based on paid advertising, and has a steep learning curve. I've managed $50K+/month PPC campaigns for many years and finding profitable keywords is not that easy. Not to mention that keyword prices change, trends change, and affiliate offers change. Also, doing a good job requires money. Money for tools, software, and to get started. You have to fund PPC campaigns after all - and making $100/day profit requires at least $100/day in advertising.

I wouldn't want to try teaching web marketing to the general population for exactly this reason. It requires lots of time, money, and work to do well. It would be a challenge to teach 1 person to make money online - let alone a whole room full. I doubt that more than 10% of Anthony's clients ever make a dollar - and less than 1% make back what they spent on the program.

Still, that doesn't make it a scam. A scam by definition is a con. It's done with the intent of taking money ......
Misleading? Yes. Overhyped? Yes. But Scam? Nope.
Your accurate description of the affiliate and PPC market supports your statement of being involved in that business. However, your estimation of the results probability of Morrison's program may be overly generous. Many may take issue with your scam conclusion opinion.

A historic refresher:

MGD

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to ORLY
said by ORLY :

You didn't address my other points. Everything in the United States is marketed in a misleading way - that doesn't make them a scam. Therefore just because something is misleading does NOT make it a scam.

Did not answer the rest as it was ludicrous at best and silly at worst. You want to make it sound like everything is misleading and a scam. Your view holds no water as you don't get a Medical Degree and when you graduate get told that you need to spend 4 grand to "get up to speed" or "get fast tracked" with practicing in your chosen Medical Field. There are no surprises in the majority of legitimate endeavors or business and to say that there is just doesn't hold up in the light of day. When you are told everything you need is in a book or a seminar and it isn't that is simply a scam and misleading people for profit. It is apparent that you either have not read the entire thread or you are shilling. Doesn't matter either way. We do appreciate the boost in keeping this topic at the top of Google search results, in fact it is greatly appreciated. It helps get the word out and keep it out there.
--

ORLY

@cox.net
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

My question to you, Mr. ORLY, is any product or service provided by AM worth the money he is asking for?
In my opinion? Heck no! I could point you to a dozen courses that give you similar information that cost far less. Many of them are under $100. Not only that, but most of them offer a 30 or a 60-day money back guarantee. Of course I've never done AM's plan, but based on the feedback here it's pretty straightforward CPA affiliate marketing.

If you're interested in learning more I'd point you to the Warrior Forum. You can get a full affiliate marketing education there for free - however you'll have to wade through all the misinformation to get it.

But overcharging doesn't make something a scam. A room at the 4 seasons for a night costs more than a months rent. Way too expensive - but if the market will bear it...

and my name is Rich.

ORLY

@cox.net
reply to MGD
@MGD - Wow. Well, like I said I'm no fan of AM's, but some of those tweets and PMs really take the cake. The guy obviously isn't trying to help anyone but himself based on most it. All the 'hustle time' and 'paper stacks' make him look like the douchebag he probably is.

I officially retract my position on Anthony Morrison and his product.

@Olds - I don't think what I was saying was THAT ludicrous (or silly). Everything is marketed in a misleading way. That's why Marketers are right there with Lawyers in the slime department.

Also, If you take the time to speak to small business owners, I think you'll find that there are PLENTY of surprises in ALL businesses. Have you ever looked at business math and accounting? Huge surprise to me.

At any rate, I didn't read the entire thread first (see my @MGD above) it is 72 pages long after all - and am not shilling if by that term you mean: "a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty."

I don't think I've tried to make any money on here - haven't posted a link to my site or anything. Nor have I posed as a customer of AM saying his product was good. In fact I've already said I think it's way overpriced.

I only posted on this thread at all because I think the term 'scam' is dramatically overused (pushes my buttons obv.) - and because my wife saw the Anthony Morrison infomercial and asked me if I knew anything about the guy. I don't watch much TV so hadn't seen his advertisement, but in looking him up found this thread.

I still don't think that what Anthony is doing is a scam per se - at least no more so than any of the 'learn how to flip houses' courses or any of the other get rich quick stuff you see on late-night tv. I agree that all of that stuff is preying on people who are the least equipped to afford it or actually do anything with the knowledge. If the people were smarter/more knowledgeable about what they were getting into, they'd obviously never do it.

That being said, people need to take some personal responsibility and be smart enough to NOT give this guy and others like him their money. I hate all the nanny state controls and laws that keep getting put in place to save people from themselves. I understand that this thread exists to keep people from making the same mistake that many others have made and am all for keeping this thread at the top of the results. I'll even give this thread some link love from some of my sites to help keep it up here.

Peace.