spc
Search similar:

uniqs
KyeU
join:2003-12-31
Canada

1 edit

KyeU

Firefox's NoScript for Opera (or all browsers)

Click for full size
Click for full size
With the help of Proxomitron (a local web and header filter proxy for Windows), you will be able to have similar features* offered by NoScript to Firefox in Opera (or any browser that supports HTTP proxies).

»prxbx.com/forums/showthr ··· ?tid=970
quote:
What it does:

Basically removes all (no|)script|applet|object|embed) (and iframe as of Nov. 11, 2007) tags on sites that aren't in the whitelist, and gives you the option of adding an untrusted site to the whitelist - (by two methods: 1) by domain, showing you have great trust in them and, 2) by domain + path, which is ideal for a trusted subdirectory on a domain) - in the very simple yet easy to use "navigation" bar that appears on all filtered sites.
Green button = Trust Host (e.g. http://www.asdf.com/ )
Yellow button = Trust Path (e.g. http://www.asdf.com/a/path/to/a/page.html )
Red button = Bypass filter (loads the page with all its scripts and other goodies intact; if you do click on this, the page will load, and a light green button will be in the top-right corner with a "C" in it, standing for "Clean Page", which will load the page with all the selected tags removed.)

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, fire away!

Download Proxomitron here: http://www.proxomitron.info/files/index.html
And how to install + set up: http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Installation.html

*By features I mean the removal of scripts, iframes, etc. It doesn't include Anti-XSS protection.
KyeU

KyeU

I've updated the filters =]

June 10, 2008 (Version 5)
-Optimized code (Thank you z12!)
-Added option to remove noembed, noobject, noapplet tags
-Fixed the embed match (as the closing embed tag is optional)

I've also created a test page:

»prxbx.com/test/test.html
notmentat
join:2003-11-10

notmentat to KyeU

to KyeU
Interesting. But how is this different from the built-in facility in Opera? For example, are there more features than Opera's built-in stuff?

For example, in Opera, you can simply disable JavaScript and plugins for all sites, and then on a site-by-site basis (whitelist, if you will), allow JavaScript and plugins only for those sites. In fact, you can set up lots of things on a site-by-site basis that way, not just scripts/embeds.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

said by notmentat:

For example, are there more features than Opera's built-in stuff?
Many more features, more customisation etc. Well written Proxo filters are very potent

Cudni
KyeU
Canada

KyeU to notmentat

to notmentat
said by notmentat:

Interesting. But how is this different from the built-in facility in Opera? For example, are there more features than Opera's built-in stuff?

For example, in Opera, you can simply disable JavaScript and plugins for all sites, and then on a site-by-site basis (whitelist, if you will), allow JavaScript and plugins only for those sites. In fact, you can set up lots of things on a site-by-site basis that way, not just scripts/embeds.
Some additional features I've thought of (personally, I'm using Opera, and tried the site-specific feature, but found it to be very troublesome to add a site to the whitelist):

-one-click whitelisting
-customizable settings (can remove iframes, noscript, embed, object, applet, noembed, noobject, noapplet tags as well)
-on-the-fly bypassing (just like NoScript's "Temporarily Allow ______" option)
-universal browser-support (works in any browser that allows you to use a HTTP Proxy, primarily Windows browsers, but can be used under WINE in Linux as well)

The main thing for me is the one-click whitelisting, and the on-the-fly bypassing features.

Of course, that's the features it currently has right now. I'm looking to see if I can incorporate more potential to these filters

hpguru
Curb Your Dogma
Premium Member
join:2002-04-12

hpguru to KyeU

Premium Member

to KyeU
I'll bet you never thought you would hear me say this but I have all but stopped using Proxo. There are a couple reasons why. One is that browser security/privacy has greatly improved over the last two years so that I no longer feel the need to remove objectionable or dangerous content and my hosts file effectively eliminates 99.9% of the ads. The second reason is that Proxo seems a little slow in its old age. So far the reason for this slowdown has eluded me but I have determined it is not caused by my config. It it probably due to changes made by some update to XP or my drivers but I don't have the time or patience to reinstall Windows and go through all the updates one by one till I find the culprit.
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

SUMware2

Premium Member

said by hpguru:

I have all but stopped using Proxo.
How do you handle webbugs?

KU
@paisleymanor.com

KU to hpguru

Anon

to hpguru
It might be the RWIN limit: »www.mizzmona.com/proxomi ··· ron/gui/
SUMware2
Premium Member

SUMware2 to hpguru

Premium Member

to hpguru

Before Proxo Filter

After Proxo Filter
said by hpguru:

I no longer feel the need to remove objectionable or dangerous content and my hosts file effectively eliminates 99.9% of the ads.
In addition to providing enhanced security and privacy Proxo can be used in real time to re-write & customize web page HTML.

In the above example I decided yesterday that I did not want Yahoo to place an information 'block' into my mail page. I wrote a simple Proxo filter and now they don't. The 'block' is not simply hidden from view, it is not browser requested nor server downloaded.

This is another fine Proxo benefit that I use to customize numerous sites.

JTM1051
MVM
join:2000-07-08
Terrell, TX

JTM1051 to notmentat

MVM

to notmentat
said by notmentat:

True, but from what I've seen/understand Opera's Site Preferences, it only shows and allows you to apply settings to the main site, and what settings (General, Content, Display, Scripting, and Network) you give to the main site, Opera gives to the connecting/third party sites to the main site.

Opera's Site Preferences

As noted by Cudni Proxomitron allows far more customization as to filtering the web content that is allowed -- if interested in more info see Proxomitron - Wikipedia and Proxomitron.Info.

Been interested Proxomitron, but have not the time/patience to learn to use. Hence one of the reasons my default browser combo is Firefox with NoScript extension.

As to Opera's Site Preferences vs. NoScript, NoScript shows the main site and all other connecting/third party sites to the main site, and you can select which of the connecting/third party sites to the main site are "Allowed" or "Temporarily Allowed":

notmentat
join:2003-11-10

notmentat to KyeU

to KyeU
Thanks for all the info.

I think I'll pass for now. I currently don't need/want all the extra functionality.
KyeU
Canada

1 edit

KyeU

No problem =]

I've updated the filters yet again:

June 11, 2008
-Improved counter javascript code (simplified + now it only shows the tags that have been removed. If there is no occurance of a certain tag found on a page (e.g. noembed), then it will not show "0 ")
-Made IFRAME more specific (to match SRC parameters that actually have a value)
-Fixed a minor styling bug with the three injected buttons
-Not dependent on there being a /body or /html tag; it will inject itself on any page with HTML content

hpguru
Curb Your Dogma
Premium Member

hpguru to SUMware2

Premium Member

to SUMware2
said by SUMware2:

How do you handle webbugs?
Webbugs are useless without cookies and ofttimes javascript, plus my hosts files blocks thousands of tracking sites which serve webbugs.
said by KU :

It might be the RWIN limit: »www.mizzmona.com/proxomi ··· ron/gui/
Nope. I looked into that.
said by SUMware2:

In addition to providing enhanced security and privacy Proxo can be used in real time to re-write & customize web page HTML.
Yeah I know about all that very well. It is the slowdown which killed it for me. Just to give you a feel for what I am talking about, let's say I do an image search on Google. With Proxo the results page loads one image at a time and takes several seconds to fully load the page. Without Proxo - BAM! - the page with all the thumbnails loads all at once. It makes no difference whether Proxo is filtering or in bypass mode. What's more is I have been using the same config with no major modifications for a few years now and when I wrote it it was very zippy. Something else has changed. I just can't figure out what it is.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear that Proxo is not working for you anymore. From my side I have to tell that I'm satisfied with it completely.

One of the reasons of slowdown, that you've noticed in your post, may be using hosts file with thousands of records inside. I'm using different approach - my hosts file is very simple, but I filter all web sites (well, almost all) with Proxo. In my case it runs 'sidki-2007-09-09' config and does it very fast. I have not noticed any slowdown, just an opposite, it loads web pages rather faster and reason for this - it doesn't send requests for downloading a lot of ads images/objects (e.g. by default I do not load Flash objects, but I have an option to load it in real time later, if I need it).

I'm allowing Javascript on all sites and accept session cookies only. BTW, Proxo can handle cookies very well.

To bypass Proxo (for testing or any other reason) I use IE7Pro as a switcher (press Ctrl+F9 and it toggles assess immediately). With it - it's easy to make comparison of loading speeds via Proxo filters and without them.

If Proxo started slowdown problems for you try to re-install it from the scratch. I hope it will help you to get it back.
SUMware2
Premium Member

2 edits

SUMware2 to hpguru

Premium Member

to hpguru
said by hpguru:

Webbugs are useless without cookies and ofttimes javascript, plus my hosts files blocks thousands of tracking sites which serve webbugs.
said by SUMware2:
Yeah I know about all that very well. It is the slowdown which killed it for me.
Thank you. Your knowledge and expertise is much appreciated. You've helped me numerous times.

It might be interesting to see if you find the same slowdown with a clean unmodded install of Sidki's most current complete config & folders.

hpguru
Curb Your Dogma
Premium Member

hpguru

Premium Member

said by SUMware2:

It might be interesting to see if you find the same slowdown with a clean unmodded install of Sidki's most current complete config & folders.
It isn't my config. Proxo is just as slow in bypass mode. I even tested a null config (no filters at all). It was just as slow.

OZO. I don't think it is related to my large hosts file. Were that the factor it would also slow my browsers when Proxo is not in use. Something on my system is just making Proxo process pages more slowly than it used to. As for re-installation, Proxomitron is just a bunch of loose files. I have checked the executable and libs against backup copies and gone through my config file and lists very thoroughly to see if any files might have been corrupted. Everything checked out fine.
SUMware2
Premium Member

SUMware2

Premium Member

said by hpguru:

Proxo is just as slow in bypass mode. I even tested a null config (no filters at all). It was just as slow.
Well, don't know what's going on there. I'm not experiencing the slow-down that you see on XP nor Linux.

Once in a while I'll accidentally leave a "|" at the end of the last line in Match just prior to Replace. This can be unpleasant.
KyeU
Canada

2 edits

KyeU

Click for full size
said by SUMware2:

Once in a while I'll accidentally leave a "|" at the end of the last line in Match just prior to Replace. This can be unpleasant.
I've had this happen to me numerous times! It feels like the whole world has stopped.

Anyhow, I have updated the filters to include the ability to select one or more tags to allow on a certain host or path So for instance, you can allow all IFRAMES and SCRIPTS to load on cnn.com. If none are ticked, and you click on either Host or Path, it will bypass ALL tags on that host or path.

Check the link in the first post for the filters

June 11, 2008 - Version 5.55
-Further optimized the filters/javascript
-Created option to allow the bypassing of certain tags (more than one, if needed). Has a built-in check to make sure there are no duplicates in the allow list
-Now has only two buttons, "A" for Allow and "B" for Bypass. You can find the links to whitelist the entire host or path when you click on the "A"