dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Zee7
join:2004-10-05

Zee7

Way to Find Previous IP Address for Domain Name?

If a website domain name has been assigned a new host and is using new DNS information, is there a way to find out the previous IP address for where they were previously hosted?

The reason is so that I can look at the old site and get the content off of it. The site was built through an online CMS so there is no FTP information unfortunately. Even if there was, I'd still need to use the IP address to log on.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

JohnQPublic6
Premium Member
join:2002-03-22
Xanadu

JohnQPublic6

Premium Member

Have you tried the Wayback Machine? You might be able to retrieve some text content, but some of the images might be missing.

»www.archive.org/web/web.php
Zee7

Zee7

Yes, I tried that. For some reason it only gives me the first page, which is a splash page. And when I click to enter, it redirects me back to that page. Other than that first page, all of the others were dynamically created (ASP.net) and Wayback Machine doesn't seem to cache those pages. This is why I want to get into the CMS to grab the content.

JohnQPublic6
Premium Member
join:2002-03-22
Xanadu

1 recommendation

JohnQPublic6 to Zee7

Premium Member

to Zee7
I see. The only thing I could recommend would be the DomainTools list here...

»www.domaintools.com/services/

However, I don't know if what you want to accomplish is even possible. If you're trying to retrieve content from a dynamically driven content management system -- and the domain name has been moved -- whatever might be laying around in an unused hosting account from days gone by will likely not be served up by the CMS via IP address only.

jayco4376
Premium Member
join:2001-08-11
Lincoln, NE

jayco4376 to Zee7

Premium Member

to Zee7
If you have an email sent from the previous server you might be able to view the headers and get the info from there (for example, a "welcome" confirmation page that was auto generated upon registration/sign-up)
Zee7

Zee7 to JohnQPublic6

to JohnQPublic6
said by JohnQPublic6:

whatever might be laying around in an unused hosting account from days gone by will likely not be served up by the CMS via IP address only.
Correct. And this is why I'm trying to get the IP address. We're on the same page.
Zee7

Zee7 to jayco4376

to jayco4376
said by jayco4376:

If you have an email sent from the previous server you might be able to view the headers and get the info from there (for example, a "welcome" confirmation page that was auto generated upon registration/sign-up)
Would an email from my client with that domain have that information? This is a clients site I'm working on. There has been a little "history" between this client and I, so I really don't want to bother asking them. LOL!

jayco4376
Premium Member
join:2001-08-11
Lincoln, NE

1 recommendation

jayco4376

Premium Member

It *might* have the info. Depends. If he uses AOL or Hotmail, it wouldn't. If he uses the Google Apps for domains it wouldn't. It he uses his domain for email and he uses a cheap hosting account for everything (email, website, etc.) then theres a chance it may be in the email headers.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

1 recommendation

yock to Zee7

Premium Member

to Zee7
If the site was popular enough, it may have been observed by Netcraft.
Zee7

Zee7

said by yock:

If the site was popular enough, it may have been observed by Netcraft.
Great idea. They only listed the current IP. My site was listed with some good info though.
Zee7

Zee7 to JohnQPublic6

to JohnQPublic6
This site provided some good information. Thanks!

decobiz
Premium Member
join:2001-04-02
Brazil

decobiz to Zee7

Premium Member

to Zee7
For the E-mail you see the IP in the "Header" like [xxx.etc]
You have also »www.whois.sc/ having a history of the IPs
Zee7

Zee7

Thanks decobiz! Everything is solved now though. 'Preciate it!