uniqs

wingspar
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Oregon

wingspar

Premium Member

Norton Antivirus 2008

Got up this morning to a notice that my Norton Antivirus (2005) will expire in 20 days. So, I figure I’d go ahead and renew, otherwise, I’ll keep putting it of till it does expire. Turns out that renewing 2005 and upgrading to 2008 were the same price, so I upgraded. Wish I’d just renewed. What a time consuming hassle. About 1 ½ hours. I have questions.

1. I got my Symantec order confirmation via email. I use Eudora, and have used it since 1994. If I try to open the order confirmation, Eudora freezes. Tried it several times. Still freezes. What does Symantec put in their order confirmation email that would freeze Eudora? I’ve never seen that happen before.

2. Norton always kept an icon in the active program part of the system tray, but now there is a huge ugly yellow icon in the system tray that I can not hide when inactive, and I see no way to get it there. See my attached screen shot. I’d like it over where Norton 2005 was. Between Proxomitron and Zone Alarm. Is there a way to get it there?

3. I see no way to schedule a live update. It just gives the option to turn it on or turn it off. I have no idea how often it is going to check, and I don’t need it checking every freaking hour. It did it soon after installing 2008, and after I had already updated. Is there a way to schedule a live update, or am I stuck with what Symantec feels I should do?

MrBradTX
join:2001-05-23
Carrollton, TX

MrBradTX

said by wingspar:

Norton always kept an icon in the active program part of the system tray, but now there is a huge ugly yellow icon in the system tray that I can not hide when inactive, and I see no way to get it there.
There is a "show Norton on taskbar" option that is "on" by default. Setting it "off" replaces the huge ugly yellow stripe with a polite little icon over in the Tray area. (I don't recall exactly where the toggle is found in the configuration UI.)

wingspar
Premium Member
Oregon

wingspar

Premium Member

said by MrBradTX:

There is a "show Norton on taskbar" option that is "on" by default. Setting it "off" replaces the huge ugly yellow stripe with a polite little icon over in the Tray area. (I don't recall exactly where the toggle is found in the configuration UI.)
Thank you. Once I read your post, finding that option was fairly easy. Question #2 now fixed. Much better now.

skj91
join:2007-10-19
West Sacramento, CA

2 edits

skj91 to wingspar

to wingspar
"What does Symantec put in their order confirmation email that would freeze Eudora? I’ve never seen that happen before"
The link to launch the dynamic download app of the software you just bought.
skj91

skj91

try setting your email handler to allow viewing email in text only mode. it's probably actually trying to load the file for preview but the file is like 80Mb plus in size. if you set it to text mode it should just print link itself which you can then copy and paste into an external browser window yourself and http download it.
skj91

skj91

oh but it sounds like you don't even need to do that, you've already acquired the download manually, i'm assuming, since you've already got it installed. in that case, you can just ignore the download link, all you need is the key, then, right? still same solution, text only (at least i hope it's a solution, lol).

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to wingspar

Premium Member

to wingspar
said by wingspar:

3. I see no way to schedule a live update. It just gives the option to turn it on or turn it off. I have no idea how often it is going to check, and I don’t need it checking every freaking hour. It did it soon after installing 2008, and after I had already updated. Is there a way to schedule a live update, or am I stuck with what Symantec feels I should do?
Go to Control Panel | Symantec LiveUpdate. Then click on the "Automatic LiveUpdate" tab. There you can set your desired update interval.
Expand your moderator at work

Michael York
join:2007-11-06
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

Michael York to wingspar

to wingspar

Re: Norton Antivirus 2008

Hi Gary,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support team responding to your question regarding the LiveUpdate settings in Norton AntiVirus 2008.

The default and recommended setting for the LiveUpdate feature in Norton AntiVirus 2008 is set to "Automatic" so that you always have the latest program and definition updates applied to your installation. What this means is that, as long as you are logged into Windows and connected to the internet, LiveUpdate will run in the background, so it does not impact the overall operation of your computer. It will then check for and install any available updates multiple times per day.

If you want to be notified as to when Automatic LiveUpdate has detected that new updates are available, please follow the instructions below to change the settings.

1. Open the main Norton AntiVirus window and then select the "Norton AntiVirus" tab at the top of the window.

2. Click on the "Settings" category and then click on "Automatic LiveUpdate." Choose "Configure." Make sure there is a check next to "Turn on Automatic LiveUpdate" and then check the box below that entry that says "Notify me when updates are available."

3. Next, click the "Apply" button at the bottom of the window and then click the "OK" button.

The Symantec LiveUpdate Control panel that "Oregonian" had mentioned is only used if you want to manually run LiveUpdate, which is not recommended.

I hope this answers the question you had regarding the LiveUpdate feature.

Thank you,
Mike

wingspar
Premium Member
Oregon

wingspar to Oregonian

Premium Member

to Oregonian
said by Oregonian:

Go to Control Panel | Symantec LiveUpdate. Then click on the "Automatic LiveUpdate" tab. There you can set your desired update interval.
Thanks. That helps. Now I know Norton is looking once a day as a default. I’m ok with that, but even if it was once every two or three days, that would probably be fine. Knowing how often it looks makes me more comfortable. I was thinking it was checking every few minutes, and I don’t need/want that.
wingspar

wingspar to Michael York

Premium Member

to Michael York
said by Michael York:

The default and recommended setting for the LiveUpdate feature in Norton AntiVirus 2008 is set to "Automatic" so that you always have the latest program and definition updates applied to your installation. What this means is that, as long as you are logged into Windows and connected to the internet, LiveUpdate will run in the background, so it does not impact the overall operation of your computer. It will then check for and install any available updates multiple times per day.
Thanks for replying to my post Mike. The Automatic looking for updates is fine. I just wanted to know when, and how often. I now know how often, I still have no idea when it looks.

I have one other problem. See my screen shot attached to this post. Every time, and I do mean every time I look at the Norton Protection Center at all, I get the error message you see in my screen shot. I find it extremely irritating. I have to open and close the Norton Protection Center to get the message to go away. The only thing I can even remotely figure what the error message could be is that it says my “Windows Automatic Update” is at risk. If that is what that error message is referring to, or if it could be something else, how can I get Norton to stop telling me something I am aware of every few minutes?

I don’t even Want Norton to have anything to do with giving me error messages like that. I know exactly what my Windows update status is, and I don’t need some program to tell me what my status is two dozen times a day.

MrBradTX
join:2001-05-23
Carrollton, TX

MrBradTX

said by wingspar:

The only thing I can even remotely figure what the error message could be is that it says my “Windows Automatic Update” is at risk.
Open Norton Protection Center.
Click the red Attention next to Windows Automatic Update. (it's a hyperlink)
Choose Fix (for AU to automatically download and install updates) or Ignore (for Norton to ignore the AU setting).

wingspar
Premium Member
Oregon

wingspar

Premium Member

said by MrBradTX:

Open Norton Protection Center.
Click the red Attention next to Windows Automatic Update. (it's a hyperlink)
Choose Fix (for AU to automatically download and install updates) or Ignore (for Norton to ignore the AU setting).
Thank you very much. Easy fix, but not obvious.

Michael York
join:2007-11-06
San Francisco, CA

Michael York to wingspar

to wingspar
Hi Gary,

If you leave Norton AntiVirus set to the default "Automatic" setting and place a check in the box for it to notify you when updates are available, it will check for updates every 4th hour of the day and then notify you when there are updates available to download.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you,
Mike

wingspar
Premium Member
Oregon

wingspar

Premium Member

Mike,

It looks like the default setting is to check for updates every 1440 minutes. That’s 24 hours. I have it set to notify me, but I might change it to automatically update. That’s how I let Norton Antivirus 2005 do it. There is a ton of new stuff that made no sense to me, and frankly bugged me, but thanks to the help in this thread, I’ve got it all straightened out now.

A suggestion for upgrading Symantec software would be to have it recognize the settings from the old software, and apply them to the new software automatically. Most software upgrades seem to do that, but Symantec does not. Thanks for the help.