Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gsm8

join:2004-09-29
Renton, WA

1 edit

I can't alt tab in wow why

I reformatted my system when I got my boxed copy of windows vista sp1 retail from work. Now that I got wow installed and patched I can alt tab into windows but when I try and go back into wow nothing happens and I end up having to end task it. Does anyone know what would be causing this on a windows vista 32 machine? Evey thing works fine except this minor issue

Gvtguy

join:2008-06-02

Have you put WoW into windowed mod? That might work for ya..

Brazbit
Premium
join:2003-10-22
Port Orchard, WA
reply to gsm8

For Alt+Tab to work reliably in full screen I have found it helps to have another program running. Simply open a low memory app like a web browser or ventrillo before launching WoW. If you did not start something before running WoW in full screen you can hit the Windows Button on your keyboard this will pull you back to the Windows Desktop. Oops... not what you were asking.

I have had the issue you describe in the past. It was solved with a video driver update. That would be where I would start.
--
At the end of this day, one shall stand, one shall ROFL!

gsm8

Renton, WA

2 edits

I have an evga 9600GT superclocked video card and I am using the updated drivers from nvidia.com should I hop onto evga site and download from them instead of nvidia?

GTJiga
06 GT
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Azle, TX
kudos:1

1 edit

The EVGA site will have the same graphics driver as Nvidia's. Well, they should at least.

MaybeTrouble

join:2008-05-09
Anchorage, AK

2 edits
reply to gsm8

ctrl esc.

--edit--

yes it brings up the start menu, but it also brings you back to the desktop. I don't think alt tab has ever worked for me in WoW, unless maybe when I've been running something else like a browser. But usually I run WoW by itself to keep its performance maximised.

NightVisor
Premium
join:2001-02-28
Rialto, CA
reply to gsm8

The only way I can alt-tab from WoW in Vista SP1, is to run WoW in windowed mode. I have the window expanded to fill my screen, but the taskbar is still in view. If I run WoW in fullscreen mode, then I have the same problem you do.

gsm8

Renton, WA

it looks like I am not the only one with this problem. so is it just us vista users with sp1 both 32 and x64. I think xp pro works fine last time I tried it.

Gimme1
Irrelevant

join:2000-07-18
Freehold, NJ

I've had zero problems alt-tabbing with Vista SP1. I'd concur with the recommendation about making sure you have the latest video drivers.
--
Visit »www.undeadfish.com -- Where good ideas go to die.

Margolis
Premium
join:2003-11-24
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit
reply to gsm8

I use vista 64 ultimate sp1 and alt-tab out all the time running full screen mode on an 8800gt without a single problem.

gsm8

Renton, WA
reply to gsm8

something most of happened after I reformated when I got windows vista sp1 and switched to raid 0. I am not sure what but I reinstalled the graphics driver and now I can alt tab again. it sux not being able to copy and paste quests into wowhead

Brazbit
Premium
join:2003-10-22
Port Orchard, WA

Glad to hear this is working for you once more.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to gsm8

said by gsm8:
it sux not being able to copy and paste quests into wowhead

what do you mean? wouldn't you want it the other way around?

edit: nvm, i figured out what you meant. you should download and install Quest Helper if you haven't already.

Shatter

join:2006-07-24
Waterford, MI
reply to gsm8

The only times I have had alt-tab issues in different games has always been driver related. Change of drivers has always fixed it