how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

waldoooo

join:2001-12-15
Fountain Valley, CA

anyone know how to scare mockingbirds?

I liked them in the neighborhood at first, one of their songs is the car alarm sound(not sure what brand it is but its the one everyone has heard where it changes 5 or 6 times as it is going off) then a chirp chirp as it gets disarmed. But lately they are on the warpath. They have scared off the doves and hummingbirds that usually frequent our yard and now they have focused on our cat. Its funny to watch you can hear them chirping somewhere nearby, let the cat out into the yard(either front or back) and within a minute or so they find her and start this evil war squawk as they dive bomb her from behind while another accomplice keeps her attention focused in another area. I figure its probably breeding season and their nest must be nearby but they are really getting annoying. When people go out they do the war squawk and jump from tree to roof to fence but haven't tried the dive bombing trick(they must have seen a tennis racket here through a window).

Short of breaking out a pellet gun does anyone know any tricks to restore order in the area? The hummingbirds are fun to watch during the pool party/BBQ season and the doves sure sound better than a strung out war squawking mockingbird. Our cat will thank you too when she can bask in the sun again rather than under a plant or piece of patio furniture. We have never seen such aggressive birds in the many years living here.

The fake owl on the upstairs patio doesn't even make them look twice, I think there is even poop on its head marking another landing perch as they do the war squawk.

TomS

join:2008-01-21
Gloucester, MA
hmmmm... Waldo, did you ever think that your cat might be the culprit that has :...scared off the doves and hummingbirds..." ?

It sounds to me like the mockingbirds are possibly protecting a nearby nest they fear will be targeted.

I, myself, can not imagine wanting to chase away mockingbirds. No matter what time of day OR night, Their exuberance brings a mental smile to my mind...sometimes even a real chuckle !

BTW ,I've been known to chase crows, as they sit around eagerly eyeing unattended mockingbird nests. And speaking of crows...now there is an ultra ugly sound ! LOL

CurtesyFlush
Bababooey, fafafooey, tatatoothy.
Premium
join:2002-08-23
Fontana, CA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to waldoooo
said by waldoooo:

Short of breaking out a pellet gun does anyone know any tricks to restore order in the area?
That is the order. You're the interloper. Let 'em do what they do. They're acting broody right now due to eggs and hatchlings.

Here in Fontana, they dive bomb my pit bull when she's walking around the yard, and it's hilarious. They fear nothing. There's only one native bird in So Cal with more personality, and that's the Sage Jay.
--
The more things change, the more they suck.

horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium
join:2002-03-13
canada
reply to waldoooo
Might want to pick up this book.
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, which was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1961. The book became an international ...
»www.kirjasto.sci.fi/harperle.htm
Or get a net.

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium,MVM
join:2002-09-24
Palmer, AK
reply to CurtesyFlush
said by CurtesyFlush:

There's only one native bird in So Cal with more personality, and that's the Sage Jay.
LOL! Here in Alaska, the magpies are your Sage Jay equivalent. I've been dive-bombed several times.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to waldoooo
Leave them alone, they won't be so aggressive once they are done nesting in a few weeks.

And I agree with TomS See Profile....it's more likely your cat caused the hummingbirds and doves to leave for safer areas. Mockingbirds aren't as easily intimidated.
--
11,237 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11~~SARAH BRIGHTMAN SYMPHONY WORLD TOUR

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to waldoooo
I would suggest negotiation rather than armed action.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to waldoooo
I wouldn't mess with those birds.

from »www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/509358

Mockingbirds
*Mockingbirds are very magical and will sometimes answer questions.
*Mockingbirds are symbols of hope and innocence.
*If a mockingbird flies over the head of a single woman, she will be married within the year.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to waldoooo
Pellet gun, one pump, square in the chest.
Definitely gets their attention. It shouldn't kill them.

The mocking birds here leave when I walk outside now.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA
reply to waldoooo
Condors?

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to waldoooo
Now, why would you want to do that? Did you not read the book in School? »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_kill_a_mockingbird

All kidding aside, you have to find out what is attracting birds (ie like my neighbor that keeps putting out bird seed & attracts Starlings & Pigeons).

FiL
Premium
join:2005-08-16
Silver Spring, MD

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to waldoooo
Are those the same birds that sing at night, all fuckin' night long? They do a weird combo of sounds, and I've noticed they change up the sounds every 2 chirps. If so, I'd go a huntin'! They are very loud, I can hear the one terrorizing my neighbors sleep about 2 blocks away. Out of nowhere they appeared too. A few weeks is too long for me. Eh, do as may...

port9

join:2006-07-15
Cordova, TN
we had our share of annoying bird ... they did all seem to go away when the owl moved in.. I don't know if or what the owl had to do with but they are gone.

waldoooo

join:2001-12-15
Fountain Valley, CA

1 edit
reply to TomS
said by TomS:

hmmmm... Waldo, did you ever think that your cat might be the culprit that has :...scared off the doves and hummingbirds..." ?

It sounds to me like the mockingbirds are possibly protecting a nearby nest they fear will be targeted.
nope the cat has been here 6 years and up til a couple weeks ago we have always multiple species of birds frequenting the yard.

They get a break for a few more weeks to get through this breeding season but if it keeps up its off to the local Airsoft store

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to Greg_Z
said by Greg_Z:

... my neighbor that keeps putting out bird seed & attracts Starlings & Pigeons.
Pellet gun, one pump, square in the (neighbor's) chest.
Definitely will get their attention. It shouldn't kill them.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
reply to waldoooo
It's the cycle of life, observe and enjoy.
--
KEN LEEEEEEE... tulibu dibu douchoo!

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to DataDoc
said by DataDoc:

said by Greg_Z:

... my neighbor that keeps putting out bird seed & attracts Starlings & Pigeons.
Pellet gun, one pump, square in the (neighbor's) chest.
Definitely will get their attention. It shouldn't kill them.
That'll work too! LOL!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to waldoooo
I agree with horsemouth1 See Profile except you smack them with the book and make sure it's the hardcover version.