Search similar:

uniqs
GameRadio
join:2008-04-12
Mesa, AZ

1 edit

GameRadio

Can I get out of contract?

Do you guys think this would allow me to get out of contract?

I am a year and a half in on a two year contract. I almost missed it but found out the news about Qwest dumping Sprint as they use now as an MVNO, and moving to Verizon Wireless as reported at cnet: »news.cnet.com/8301-10784 ··· 5-7.html .

Me and my wife had a baby in May, and due to the excitement of it and calling everyone we went over our mins (about 115 extra of our 500 mins) and took our bill from the normal $80 or so to $165. Well with a new baby we also can't afford the cell phone anymore either; it’s just a cost we can’t handle right now with the baby.

So my question is since they are making this move to Verizon someone I don't want and can't stand, and defiantly can not afford, since they are starting this switchover this summer should I be able to get out of contract? If so what should I say, I have talked to people at work who said to call and put it on vacation since we cant afford it but I called to do that (I will admit lied to say I was going out of the country on vacation) trying to get them to do it but they said they do it on all their services but cell phone service. I was willing to keep my contract going till it ends and just not have the cell phones at all but pay the lower price if anything

Any ideas? I just can't afford it anymore at all.
Lunarnova8
join:2008-03-17
Sammamish, WA

Lunarnova8

Well the usual Early Termination Fees are usually around $275 or so, so I would probably just keep paying for the next 6 months. You may be able to lower your rate plan, but sometimes that involves fees or extentions also. Make sure you read all the fine print before you decide on a course of action.
GameRadio
Mesa, AZ

1 edit

GameRadio

Crap thats freaking ridiculous,

Yeah we are on the lowest plan possible with them for two lines.

But my question though is since they are starting this switch this summer would this be a viable way for me to exit the contract with no penalties, since a switch to Verizon as they will be having customers do ( I don’t care if Verizon is going to give me a free phone) would be a move on Qwest part that would have an adverse effect financially on me. That is how I interpret the TOS but how I do and they do are two different things.

I switched from T-mo to qwest originally thinking it would be less in cost to me but in the end costing me more. I got out of their contract (Tmobile) due to the text change something small but at the time I had all other qwest services since moving and not being able to receive their services we had everything else cancelled (including dsl which was on a contract but got out due to drop in speed)

Basically can this change to Verizon allow me out of contract.

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond

Premium Member

Ask them. They will decide if they think that's a good reason or not. Unless you want to fight them in court (or otherwise settling with them legally), whatever they say will be the what you will have to live with.

When you ask them, tell them that you have (whatever your reason is) reason(s) to dislike Verizon, and that you didn't signup for that.

I doubt someone here will have a good enough of an idea of what is in your contract to provide meaningful legal advice for fighting Qwest in court though.
GameRadio
Mesa, AZ

GameRadio

Yeah I called them, the lady said this starts on July 22nd (I believe that was the exact day she said) and that’s when their contract starts.

When I asked her she kinda beat around the bush about being able to get out but said it was her opinion that she thinks it would be the kinda thing to be able to get out of the contract with, But other than that she didn’t really go into it more. But they can’t force me to switch legally (I guess I kinda answered my own original question then) So basically I wait a month spend money I really don’t need to spend (the main reason I am trying to get out got a kid now and bills are starting to stack) or call and maybe speak to retention dept to see about getting out of it due to their move.

I will let ya all know how it goes.
ppmolina
join:2005-12-16
Salt Lake City, UT

ppmolina

Qwest will begin selling Verizon in July, but that does not mean that all customers will be forced over in July, thus potentially invalidating your contract.

Qwest will continue to support the existing Qwest Wireless customers (wholesale Sprint service) for probably at least a year to come.

So, unfortunately, I don't see that you can use that to get out of your contract. I would definitely call and get past the first layer of billing support. Ask if you can voluntarily pay a pro-rated termination fee and be up front about that fact that you will probably not be able to pay the bill. Presented with this option, Qwest may be willing to work with you, rather than have to end up sending you through a collections type process, which isn't good for either you or Qwest.

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one to GameRadio

Anon

to GameRadio
Your contract will remain the same until it is up. That is my guess. So no you will not be allowed out of your current contract with Qwest. It will I bet remain the same plan with the same minutes and overages charges. Any new Qwest/ Verizon contracts billing will start with new customers and when current customers contracts end.
That said I will pick Verizons' coverage over Sprints in Phoenix area any day.

christcorp
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp to GameRadio

Premium Member

to GameRadio
Not to sound pissy, but it sounds like you are coming up with a lot of excuses and looking for a way to game the system because you just don't want to keep the service. Sorry if I seem a little inconsiderate, but I am a firm believer in people living up to their commitments. Many people try getting out of all sorts of contracts. A lot of them try finding loopholes when the truth is, they are trying to go back on their word. And YES; I hate every one of those; "Do you owe $10,000 or more to creditors? Call Winkleman and Carter and let us help you pay PENNIES on the dollar" type commercials.

My advice is; Live up to your commitment. It will make you a better person. If the $80 cost of the cell phone is really pinching you, then you really need to start some financial planning. Because you are really in trouble. But for the next 6 months, maybe you can give up cable tv and a few other things to make up $80. It IS the right thing to do. Later... mike....

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one to GameRadio

Anon

to GameRadio
Now for future reference with the new baby do you expect a lot of phone calls? Do you have a pots line or VOIP or any Long distance if needed.
A couple years ago my wife had a hard birth fortunately lead to the two year old terror we have now.
But we balanced the cell with POTS and VOIP.
If for the future you need more minutes do you have them by any other source.
One thing that kept my wifes cell under control was in network calling on her cell provider.
If your cell has no in network people and you make a lot of phone calls from home you can get pots qwest for say 25 or so a month and add on unlimited long distance for 20 for 45 a month. Or if you have dsl and some knowledge and read the magicjack forum here get them for I think 50 or so a year for cell backup. To me magic jack and dsl is not new baby emergency safe but for 50 a year yak time to just talk about the baby as backup to cell just fine.
I guess i am saying there are always options including a calling card.
If all of those overages where truly emergency calls life and death of baby be happy you had the cell and it worked. The new baby will cost you much more in the future so just start planning.
I love Costco and some may like Sams Club. Bulk diapers do cost but are much cheaper per diaper than small packages. Same with formula. This overage is the least of your worries.
If spent on emergency calls then just be glad they worked. If yak about the great new baby then find options for the future.
We all know most if not all carriers let you see the minutes currently used. A new baby has many new choices. Have fun and chose wisely.
GameRadio
Mesa, AZ

1 edit

GameRadio to christcorp

to christcorp
said by christcorp:

Not to sound pissy, but it sounds like you are coming up with a lot of excuses and looking for a way to game the system because you just don't want to keep the service.
Hey buddy don't start accusing people of stuff and start telling me what to do, How do you even know if I have tried to make other expenses lighter? Which I have, I dont even have cable anymore trying to lighten the expenses. I am not trying to game the system here. If I get stuck I get stuck I will deal with it. Life throws ya some screwballs once in awhile this is one of those times unexpected expenses came up etc that we didn't even plan for, I was hoping that a company like Qwest would understand and help (and I would totally understand if they didn't) all I asked for was some advice if this was a way to handle it with them. A simple yes or no would have sufficed.

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one to christcorp

Anon

to christcorp
said by christcorp:

Not to sound pissy, but it sounds like you are coming up with a lot of excuses and looking for a way to game the system because you just don't want to keep the service. Sorry if I seem a little inconsiderate, but I am a firm believer in people living up to their commitments. Many people try getting out of all sorts of contracts. A lot of them try finding loopholes when the truth is, they are trying to go back on their word. And YES; I hate every one of those; "Do you owe $10,000 or more to creditors? Call Winkleman and Carter and let us help you pay PENNIES on the dollar" type commercials.

My advice is; Live up to your commitment. It will make you a better person. If the $80 cost of the cell phone is really pinching you, then you really need to start some financial planning. Because you are really in trouble. But for the next 6 months, maybe you can give up cable tv and a few other things to make up $80. It IS the right thing to do. Later... mike....
Gee I posted after you and missed your post. i am coming from the other side bad choices i made. I could discuss in depth why i made them and no my fault. Ended bankruptcy but ok. Before the new laws.
After that semi ok. Not perfect yet but trying. If 80 hurts cut back some. There are always options. Instead of pay stuff you take the baby for a day while your wife has a day off fun. Then visa versa. I could take our baby out for a couple hours of out of the sun fun and worth way much more than 80 to the wife.
You have a new bundle of joy. Yes can be hard but it is fun. Enjoy these first months of new life. They will never return.

christcorp
Premium Member
Cheyenne, WY

1 edit

christcorp to GameRadio

Premium Member

to GameRadio
Please, don't let mine or anyone else's comments be personal. They aren't meant that way. I tried to ask forgiveness ahead of time for sounding pissy, because I knew there was no other way it was going to come out sounding.

If you had simply stated that you can't afford the phone any longer and need help, that would have sounded fine. But, the first 2 things in your post was 1) You wanted out of your contract and 2) Because Qwest is changing from Sprint to Verizon and because they aren't the company you originally wanted nor like, that that might be a good reason to be able to break the contract. Do you not see how your post came across?

If it's strictly a financial matter, then stick with that reason. Verizon isn't part of the equation. If Qwest can't work with you, then see about consolidating any loans or bills you have and getting 1 small loan from a bank or parent that you can more easily manage. Obviously, there are options. But when you start bringing verizon into the mix, it sounds like you are trying to find loopholes to just get out of the contract. A lot of people try and do this, and it sounded like another one. Again, sorry for taking what you said and meant as 2 different things. Later.... Mike....
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

2 edits

nonymous (banned) to GameRadio

to GameRadio
said by GameRadio:

said by christcorp:

Not to sound pissy, but it sounds like you are coming up with a lot of excuses and looking for a way to game the system because you just don't want to keep the service.
Hey buddy don't start accusing people of stuff and start telling me what to do, How do you even know if I have tried to make other expenses lighter? Which I have, I dont even have cable anymore trying to lighten the expenses. I am not trying to game the system here. If I get stuck I get stuck I will deal with it. Life throws ya some screwballs once in awhile this is one of those times unexpected expenses came up etc that we didn't even plan for, I was hoping that a company like Qwest would understand and help (and I would totally understand if they didn't) all I asked for was some advice if this was a way to handle it with them. A simple yes or no would have sufficed.
No big company understands. They will arrange payment for sure.
If this baby or money has put you that far bad my wife has connections in Phoenix. If things are really bad then ask. Seems this is not just Qwest. This will pass. No gaureentees. ( wife connection not qwest just other family baby stuff) Just if that bad maybe some help. Just remember the bundle of joy you have.

Dino1
@qwest.net

Dino1 to GameRadio

Anon

to GameRadio
said by GameRadio:

I am not trying to game the system here.
Yes you are trying to game the system. In your very first post, you stated that you "lied to say I was going out of the country on vacation".

Try calling Qwest and being honest with them.

Still, it's hard to generate a lot of sympathy for your situation. It's not as if having a baby was an unforeseen event over which you had no control.
Nicodemus53
join:2008-06-12
Casper, WY

Nicodemus53 to GameRadio

to GameRadio
When I signed up with QWEST I told them I needed to go month to month because I was supposed to move from Wyoming to Texas and QWEST is not in Texas. The gal told me it was cheaper to go along with the contract because they could not charge me extra if I have to move somewhere that they do not have service. So if I ever do get to move they will cancel the contract with no questions asked. At least that is what the al that signed me up said. If it's the truth or not I dont know as I found out they make bonusesif they sign up enouh people.

GameRadio
Mesa, AZ

GameRadio

Gotcha well Ya that wasn't honest at and yeah I should havn't

I got family to help out, and If I do go to them we will be taken care of I just am trying my best not to go that route.

Well thanks for the advice and everything everyone. My question has been asked so if a mod wants to lock this up they can.
traprh
join:2002-10-20
Aztec, NM

1 edit

traprh to christcorp

to christcorp
Would it be possible and fair for me to terminate my contract with QWest if they cannot fix my DSL? I'd love to keep it but not under the current conditions.

The system has been working fine for the past 15 months but about a month ago, things went South with my system. They have had 3 different techs working on the problem (they acknowledge that the problem is somewhere on the QWest side of the fence) off and on for over a week now and still haven't fixed it or don't have a clue of what's causing the problems. It won't lock on at least 50% of the time and speeds are down in the 128 to 256 kbps range when it is locked on.

All this after having DSL for about 15 months and the system was mostly rock solid at my max of 640/256. I suspect that QWest has done something with their lines or equipment in our rural area in the last month that has caused my system to go to pot--but the technicians can't isolate the problem and they tell me that they don't know what work other line crews have done in our area that may have affected my system. I've been very patient with them since my system starting messing up about a month ago but now, I've just about had it.

Right now DSL is locked on and operating (it's only been locked on for about 3 hours total time today since 6AM this morning) but only at a snail's pace of a little better than dial up. What advice would you offer?
--

christcorp
Premium Member
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp

Premium Member

Well, 1st; you should try using the phrase "Rock Solid" and 640/256kb" in the same sentence. The whole reason that you have 640/256kb is because your lines are not rock solid. That was/is a compromise speed for those who's distance or cable make up pushes the customer just beyond the limits. The "NORM" is to offer the customer 256/256kb, which you would most definitely be MORE "Rock Solid" at that what you are now.

As far as breaking the contract, do you have a contract? Did you sign up for the "Price for life"? But, if for some reason you did, then it's a safe bet to say that you could be able to get out of it honestly. Honestly meaning, if you are for some reason paying the 1.5/896 price (I believe that speed and above are the only ones with price for life), and you're paying that for less bandwidth; 640/256kb, then I'm sure it's a pretty simple matter of Qwest not living up to their end. Later... Mike....
traprh
join:2002-10-20
Aztec, NM

traprh

Yes, I have the price for life and it's at the 1.5 rate but the system is set for 640/256 as that's the highest we can get. You are right on the distance as we are at the very extreme limit. I understand the consequences of being at the extreme end however for at least a year, my service was very good or "rock solid" at the 640/256 my system was set for. It stayed trained at that speed and I had very few outages for over a year. I was very happy with that speed as it was better than the Hughes Net satellite system I previously had.

But now, with QWest pretty much giving up on trying to fix it (I'm not impressed with the field technicians we have in this small community as they don't really seem very motivated to go that extra step to help solve a problem), I don't have much of an alternative. I'd rather not have the frustration of the on and off situation and the now "snail like" speeds. I don't have cable in my area but I do plan to look into what wireless capability we have in our area if any. Since we are rural, I'm not sure there is anything out here.

christcorp
Premium Member
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp

Premium Member

Another option is to get on Qwest to either "FIX" it, or have them lower the bandwidth (AND THE PRICE) to the 256/256kb service. That level of service is a much more stable service. (The different levels of bandwidth use different frequencies and different tolerances).

Anyway, if there's nothing else available, 256/256kb is still better than nothing. Plus, if you can save a few dollars a month, it might be worth it. For the average internet user; surfing, email, basic streaming, etc... 256kb works fine. Anyway, just an option. But, it requires you to be proactive, forceful, and stick by your guns. Later... Mike.....

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one to traprh

Anon

to traprh
If it is truly unfixable a Qwest tech can permanently disqualify your line for DSL. To me that should end the contract on Qwest so no penalties to you. Qwest techs do have authority to disqualify a line if it can not be fixed. Then the business office should see that and let you out of the contract. Just do not expect to use Qwest DSL in the future unless say a dslam goes in closer.