spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hot_rod_Girl

@comcast.net

I can't ping my network

Ok so here is my setup, I have Comcast internet going to a motorla surfboard modem then to my Linksys wrt310n wireless router and then to a few PC’s and other devies. I want to be able to forward a port of my choosing to my DVR so when I use a software program to access it outside of my network I will just have to put my public IP and port number that I have forwarded, at least I think this is how it should be done. I cant seem to find out how to do this though, I try to ping my public ip address from outside of my network and nothing happens it just times out, but I can ping my modem and router from within my network so I don’t think it would be a problem with them not responding to pings, but I could be wrong. When I do tracert to say google.com it displays first my ip address of my router then it times out and the it moves on to find google.com. I don’t understand why if I have my public IP I can’t ping it, also when I go to canyouseeme.org to see if my ports are open, when I do open them the sites says it can not see it.
Please help me I am sooo lost!

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

Most routers by default disable pings from the outside for security reasons. There should be a place in the router config to enable it.

fox7

join:2001-02-12
Culver City, CA
reply to Hot_rod_Girl

said by Hot_rod_Girl :

I want to be able to forward a port of my choosing to my DVR so when I use a software program to access it outside of my network I will just have to put my public IP and port number that I have forwarded, at least I think this is how it should be done.
The application or the DVR will dictate the ports used, most likely. You should only have to put in your IP and not a port when trying to reach the DVR if you have used a standard port that is used with the application/device.

When you have gone to canyouseeme do you have a application/device waiting at your location ready to accept a communication on the port you have forwarded??

If you open a window on your house (a port), but no one is in the house, when I yell through the window I will not get a response, so you need an application/device on to respond to the can you see me.

fox7

Hot_rod_Girl

@comcast.net

What type of a device or application do you think I should use to check if my ports are open with canyouseeme.org?

devicemanage
Premium
join:2002-03-16
Chalfont, PA
reply to Hot_rod_Girl

I think you need to find the port that the dvr uses and also the ip of the dvr. Then have your router open the port and forward the traffic to the ip of your dvr. Once this is done then you will be able to use that site to see if in fact it is open.

The ping issue should be an option you can toggle on/off in the router. What kind of router are you using?
--
»www.devicemanager.net

Hot_rod_Girl

@comcast.net

I have the linksys wrt310n router, I contaced linksys and they said that it may be a problem with my ISP since I can't ping my internet IP. I am able to ping my default gateway though, does that mean anything?

With the software I am using I can select what port to use so all I need to do is foward the same port to the internal IP address of the DVR which I have done and then just enter my Internet IP address into the ip address of the dvr and then the router should foward it to my drv. It doesnt seem that hard of a thing to set up, but it won't work for my. the internal and external ip's should be the same to right?
I really thank you for the help!

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

Just out of curiousity, can your application access the DVR internally? Can you use it inside your network?

the internal and external ip's should be the same to right?
Not sure what you mean here. In the port forwarding window you really only have two things to enter, the internal IP of the device, and the port you want to forward. Your 'external' IP is determined by Comcast. That's the 'WAN' IP of the router.

devicemanage
Premium
join:2002-03-16
Chalfont, PA
reply to Hot_rod_Girl

No your internal should not be the same as your external. When you access the router it is probably something in the 192.168.x.x block - that is what you internal block of address should be on. Your dvr should have a similar address. The dvr address and port you specified for the application (dvr software) needs to be entered into the port forwarding page of the router. When it asks for tcp/udp I would just choose both to make it easy. If it asks for port range just enter it as beginning and ending. Then supply the ip address of the dvr. Save your settings. Now to access from the outside you will use your external ip address - this can be found on the status page of your router. Also you may not be able to use the external address to access from within the network, but if you configure it to you the ip address of the dvr it way work from within.
--
»www.devicemanager.net

Hot_rod_Girl

@comcast.net

Yes I can accesss it from within my network, this still doesn't cover the issue of why I can't even ping my internet IP, I have no way to contact my internet ip from outside of my network. I even did the tracert command and it goes to my router and then gets timed out and then to the ip I choose. My internet IP is static and it is 71.60.59.13 can any of ya'll reach it? I unerstand port fowarding and all that but I can't even get to that step yet since I am unable to find my network. I even tried folowing the complete tutorial of how to set up remote desktop from behind a router but nothing works.
I AM able to ping my default gateway tho which is 71.60.56.1 does this help any???
Thank you all for helping out!

efflandt

join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL
reply to Hot_rod_Girl

Where are you testing this from? Many routers do not do loopback (LAN2LAN via WAN IP), so you likely need to test the public IP and port from the internet (or dialup from PC not on your LAN) to see if that gets through to private IP:port of your DVR.

Cable companies may block certain incoming ports because they do not want people running servers. Incoming port 80 is commonly blocked, not sure which others. Not much you can do about that except picking a port that is not blocked (hopefully nothing blocks all uninitiated incoming ports).

Ping might be blocked because that was used by Windows worms and can be exploited in other ways for DoS attacks. Ping is not necessary for a network to function, its only purpose is for testing.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:36
reply to Hot_rod_Girl

said by Hot_rod_Girl :

What type of a device or application do you think I should use to check if my ports are open with canyouseeme.org?
To see what ports are open, go here: »www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
--
RIP my baby Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07 Buttons, Buttons video

fox7

Culver City, CA
reply to Hot_rod_Girl

Hot_rod_Girl:
effandt may have your reason for not pinging you WAN IP, you can not preform a loopback. I just pinged 71.60.56.1, but not 71.60.59.13, so it may not be an issue of a loopback. But just because you can not ping it does NOT mean it can not be reached.

You say: "My internet IP is static and it is 71.60.59.13 can any of ya'll reach it? " NO, this is not true. This is your WAN IP address, the address that the world sees as you. Your internal address would be something like 192.168.XXX.XXX. And the address on the DVR service should be static and be an address of that type.

Can you, while at the command line interface, (where you are pinging) please type ipconfig /all and tell us you IP address of the computer you are working with. This will tell us the subnet that you should put the DVR into with a Static IP.

fox7

Hot_rod_Girl

@comcast.net

No, I am pinging my network by using my neighbors wireless service. On my router page it says my internet IP address is the 71.60.59.13 which as you said is what the world views as me, this is the IP address I am trying to reach, my internal ip address is 192.168.1.104 and subnet is 255.255.255.0. Shouldn't I be able to ping my WAN ip from outside of my network though?

Hot_rod_Girl

@comcast.net
reply to tim_k

I have used the grc link and it said that everyone of my ports were stealth, I think this could be part of the problem! Any suggestions?

fox7

Culver City, CA

DO you have a static IP set up for the DVR in the 192.168.1.XXX Subnet??

Here is a page that will walk you through what needs to be done:

»portforward.com/english/routers/···ator.htm Your port number will be different, but it will take you to about a Static IP and the set up.

Parent Page:
»portforward.com/english/routers/···ndex.htm

fox7

Hot_rod_Girl

@comcast.net

OK I am now able to ping my router from outside of my network and I can now open port 80, but only 80. When I try to open other ports the link you sent me says they are closed insetead of saying stealth. I suppose this is because the ports i was trying to open before wernt being recognized by my dvr. Now the link you sent me confimrs taht port 80 is open which is the port my dvr software uses, and its fowarded to my internal ip of my dvr but it still won't find my dvr? Any suggestions for this problem?
P.S the dvr software asks for the ip and port of my dvr so i think i should put in my public WAN ip and port 80, is this correct?
Thank you!

fox7

Culver City, CA

Hot_rod_Girl:
No. Put in a local IP from you LAN. It would be 192.168.1.XXX where you choose what xxx is then set up that IP where it is a static IP. Port 80 is a bad idea, very bad. You will get a lot of probing by no goods if you open that port. They are looking for WebServers on that port. Doesn't the DVR suggest a port?? A port that it would recognize?? If not, choose something obscure, 3369, just of the top of my head.

What happens is the traffic comes to you linksys on the WAN IP and has a port associated with it. Inside the Linksys you tell all traffic on that port to go to the Static IP of the DVR, a LAN IP, 192.168.1.XXX. That is how it works.

fox7

Culver City, CA
reply to Hot_rod_Girl

Hot_rod_Girl:
If you are out there, come on back in. I am still here willing to help!

fox7