Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RScottyL

join:2004-12-28
Irving, TX

Verizon pushing FiOS internet to 50Mbps throughout US

From »www.engadgethd.com/2008/06/18/ve···out-us/:

With DOCSIS 3.0 (and the corresponding 50Mbps download speeds) being deploying in varying parts of America, Verizon understands what it's up against. Reportedly, the carrier is gearing up to push its 50Mbps FiOS internet -- which is currently only available in a few of its more favored states -- to its entire US footprint. Best of all, we're hearing that all 16 FiOS-enabled states could have access to the service as early as next week, and if you're anxious to sign up, just know that it'll run you $139.95 per month with an annual contract. Thankfully, Verizon is also planning to boost speeds in the basic and middle tiers as well, with the former going from 5Mbps to 10Mbps and the latter going from 15Mbps to 20Mbps. Yeah, we like where this is headed, but we've still got aways to go before we can even sniff Sigbritt Löthberg's connection.

From »uk.reuters.com/article/rbssTechM···0080618:

LAS VEGAS, June 18 (Reuters) - Verizon Communications Inc (VZ.N: Quote, Profile, Research) is set to offer faster speeds for FiOS Internet customers in response to the growing popularity of bandwidth-heavy activities such as video downloading and photo-sharing, according to a draft of an announcement due on Wednesday.

"The appetite for bandwidth shows no sign of slowing down," Verizon chief operating officer Denny Strigl said in prepared remarks for a speech at the NXTcomm telecommunications industry conference in Las Vegas.

The No. 2 U.S. phone company plans to boost download speeds to up to 50 megabits per second (Mbps) from a previous 30 Mbps for premium FiOS subscribers, according to the draft.

That premium service was previously only offered in some states such as New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts but will now be offered throughout the 16 states where it has built the FiOS network.

Verizon will also boost the downloading speed of its mid-tier service to 20 Mbps from a previous 15, and that of its basic service to 10 Mbps from 5, it said. (Reporting by Ritsuko Ando; Editing by Ben Tan)

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Nice, if 5Mbps is going to go Bye bye and it's going to become 10Mbps for the same price, that's excellent! Now I just have to wait for them to lay the cable where I am.

just lou

join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY
reply to RScottyL
I guess those of us at 20 are the only ones not getting squat!

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by just lou:

I guess those of us at 20 are the only ones not getting squat!
Well that's more than 17 Mbps more than I'm getting! LOL

just lou

Staten Island, NY
I can tell you this much, when my 1 year contract is up, I'll sign up for 10Mbps instead of 20. For my purposes, that's more than fast enough. 5 was pretty blah, but 10 would be fine to me. You'd think they'd pump 20 up to 25 or 30.

fndelta

join:2008-04-28
Grosse Pointe, MI
reply to RScottyL
Does anyone have a Foot Print of where verizon (wired) service is offered? Such that they use for the wireless. I would be interested in seeing actually where all of these increases are occuring

SQUIDWARD360

join:2008-06-11
Leesburg, VA
reply to just lou
I am at 30 and I think I'll only get 50 if I want to pay $40 more.

backermann
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Port Washington, NY
That is an interesting question - the press release says that the 50/20 tier will replace the 30/15 tier where it exists, at the same price ($89.95). That is the tier I currently have - I wonder if we'll get automatically bumped?

said by SQUIDWARD360:

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit
said by backermann:

That is an interesting question - the press release says that the 50/20 tier will replace the 30/15 tier where it exists, at the same price ($89.95). That is the tier I currently have - I wonder if we'll get automatically bumped?

said by SQUIDWARD360:

I hope so. I have the 30/5 tier(which isn't offered here anymore) for $55 a month. I would love for that to get bumped to 50mbs. Although once my contract is up I would be willing to pay $90(current price for 30/15) for it but not $140.

mobbo

join:2005-04-13
Denton, TX
reply to RScottyL
Too much "former"s and "latter"s. Make a chart. It's too early in the morning for that. I have 15/15 service here in Texas. Am I being bumped up to 20/20 now?

Dogfather
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

4 edits
reply to backermann
said by backermann:

said by SQUIDWARD360:

I was wondering the same thing. Will my 30/15 (which is already $140 here in California) get bumped up automatically? The press release mentioned that existing customers can call about the new speeds so I'm guessing that we don't get bumped unless we call for the new speed.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

3 edits
reply to mobbo
said by mobbo:

Too much "former"s and "latter"s. Make a chart. It's too early in the morning for that. I have 15/15 service here in Texas. Am I being bumped up to 20/20 now?
"..Verizon says they're also bumping the speeds of their lower and middle tiers across all markets. "Basic" tier users who received 5Mbps/2Mbps will now see 10Mbps/2Mbps. The mid-tier connection speed of 15Mbps/2Mbps offered in many States is being bumped to 20Mbps/5Mbps.."

I don't know what that means for the 15/15 tiers and 30/15 tiers. I guess we'll find out next week.
I also don't know why the prices are lower here in Virginia. My girlfriend, in Maryland, a few miles away can only get it for around $140. Of course i would be happy if she would just get the lowest tier. She keeps dragging her feet in placing the order for phone and INTERNET service from FiOS. I need her to hurry up so we can split the $100 referral fee.

mobbo

join:2005-04-13
Denton, TX
I saw that... it pertains to people with 5/2 and 15/2... I have 15/15.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by mobbo:

"..Verizon says they're also bumping the speeds of their lower and middle tiers across all markets. "Basic" tier users who received 5Mbps/2Mbps will now see 10Mbps/2Mbps. The mid-tier connection speed of 15Mbps/2Mbps offered in many States is being bumped to 20Mbps/5Mbps.."

I don't know what that means for the 15/15 tiers and 30/15 tiers.
The press release is pretty clear. "Verizon had already offered the 50/20 Mbps and 20/20 Mbps services in its FiOS markets in Connecticut, Florida, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. The company is now expanding those offerings to new Verizon FiOS customers in parts of California, Delaware, Indiana, Maryland, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia and Washington, replacing existing offerings of 30/15 Mbps and 15/15 Mbps services, respectively."

I also don't know why the prices are lower here in Virginia.
Competition is stiffer in areas that get these plans at a lower rate.

SQUIDWARD360

join:2008-06-11
Leesburg, VA
reply to RScottyL
I have a feeling if we are at 30/15 we can upgrade if we call and want to pay $140. If we don't call my guess is our plan will grandfather in but won't be offered anymore. I may just have my plan decreased.

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to darcilicious

Verizon was fighting with NJ and had stopped expanding the deploy there at the time 30/15 was introduced. Thus instead of NY and NJ, Verizon trialled it in NY and VA.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to RScottyL
Wow 50 Mbps. I'm completely jealous, we'd kill for 10 meg fiber out here, let alone completely uncapped and unthrottled broadband.
--
"If bullshit was money this guy would be richer that Bill Gates." - quote by olebiker on Mirko Bibic

Scyber

join:2001-12-28
Trenton, NJ
reply to RScottyL
$140 is too much money for that service. I'd rather get a dual-wan router and get additional service through another company. OOL Boost + VZ's 20mbit plan would get me 50 mbit total bandwidth for less money plus failover capabilities should a provider go down. Certainly there are some routing challenges in that setup, but would get me more bang for my buck.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by Scyber:

$140 is too much money for that service. I'd rather get a dual-wan router and get additional service through another company. [...] Certainly there are some routing challenges in that setup, but would get me more bang for my buck.
We did this for years (Comcast + Verizon DSL) and it was sweet. And really not all that hard to set up actually. Uploads generally went up the faster pipe and downloads on the other (on a per application/protocol basis).

Since then, we've moved to FiOS and have found 15/15 (soon to be 20/20) and don't really need anything else (but that's just us )

SkipMDMan

join:2002-02-09
Riverdale, MD
reply to RScottyL
So they increase your download speeds but take away the newsgroups that most people download from? Seems to me a little odd.

MrSpock29

join:2008-02-09
Hammonton, NJ
said by SkipMDMan:

So they increase your download speeds but take away the newsgroups that most people download from? Seems to me a little odd.
From what I understand, that is a totally separate issue, as the newsgroup issue is due to the NY AG. They have shown that you can use that speed for what you want (as long as it is legal of course)

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to RScottyL
So when can I call for the upgrade? there is no date shown.

Or will it be automatic?
--
15/15 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

TJ_665

join:2001-07-04
Fairview, OR
reply to RScottyL
Currently paying $54.99 for 15/2 here in OR. I'm glad to hear about the 20/5 bump but will it be the same price? The PR isn't too clear about this. And we've seen how previous Verizon speed increases have turned out...

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA
said by TJ_665:

And we've seen how previous Verizon speed increases have turned out...
How was that? I don't recall one occurring while prices were changing.

Bester
Premium
join:2005-03-25
Long Beach, CA
reply to just lou
I just called to resolve a billing issue and asked the CSR about 20/20 in my area in California. She didn't know about it but did some digging on her side. She said 20/20 "footprint" was scheduled to roll out for next week, but didn't find anything more specific than that.

majicman

join:2008-05-13
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to RScottyL
So it says on Verizon's corporate policy blog that existing customers will have to call to be upgraded, but what it doesn't say is whether or not existing customers will have to pay for the upgrade. I hope not! I'm on the 15/2, so I can't wait for 20/5.

just lou

Staten Island, NY
said by majicman:

So it says on Verizon's corporate policy blog that existing customers will have to call to be upgraded, but what it doesn't say is whether or not existing customers will have to pay for the upgrade. I hope not! I'm on the 15/2, so I can't wait for 20/5.
If they don't raise your price, does that mean they'll lower mine since I already pay for 20/5?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
said by just lou:

If they don't raise your price, does that mean they'll lower mine since I already pay for 20/5?
I think they should bump you all back down to where WE are NOW and charge you the same for a while, so we can have the faster speeds for cheaper and see how you like it.
--
perl -le 'print $i=pack(c5,(8**2+3**2),42-10,sqrt(3600),oct(63),(unpack(c, "&")-6)),pack(c7, (70,114,101,101,66,83,68))'

just lou

Staten Island, NY
Please don't give them any ideas.

Ryno
The Wanderer
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Danielsville, PA
reply to RScottyL
I think the prices should be corresponding to the speed.

50 Mbps = $50

20 Mbps = $20

and till hell freezes over (which is when I'll get FIOS)

3 Mbps = $3