spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ossito16
join:2004-07-31
Whiting, IN

ossito16

bundle pricing or solo

$140 for Internet only? Do I get some tv or phone usage from that? I pay $45 monthly (for 5mbps/768kbps) and think that is too much. Other than being able to run my own neighborhood hotspot to subsidize costs, how can I take advantage of that kind of bandwidth?

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

In most markets, the top tier (30Mb or 50Mb) is $140 for internet only. The 10Mb (currently 5Mb) runs $43 if you have VZ phone service $48 without phone service.

I use mine for HD VOD, and cloud based work at home (typically large Filemaker databases and even shared Quickbooks files which aren't designed for web based sharing). 30/15 makes it not much different than working with FM and QBooks over a LAN. It's sweet. But if I wasn't using it for work, I wouldn't shell out $140 for it. I'd get one of the $60ish synchronous plans.

CurGeorge8
join:2005-05-02
South Park, PA

CurGeorge8

What service are you using for HD VOD?

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

4 edits

Dogfather

Premium Member

Microsoft XBL Marketplace, Apple iTunes Movie Rentals and DirecTV On Demand which I got a few weeks ago. Most of DTV's VOD stuff is standard def but some of their PPV movies are HD. Movies typically run in the 5GB range and at 30Mb/s I can start watching them immediately after ordering just like cable VOD was.

I read that the Netflix Roku box is capable of HD, but Netflix just doesn't offer the content.