spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn

What do you do with it?

For a non-business application, what do you do with such a pipe? You can't say you get webpages any faster; you already render them as quickly as possible at 3 mbit. Another tenth of a second wouldn't be noticable. I'd bet many sites can't send at 50 mbit. I guess you could BT your movies a bit faster, assuming there were a few hundred people offering the file and not only a few dozen.

I've always been a bigger/better/faster kind of person but I just can't see how my home account would benefit. Sure, my business could always use the bandwidth for moving files and such. I could host my own servers instead of colo'ing them. I'd love it at work.

At home? I doubt I'd do anything that would benefit from the bandwidth.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Multiple user households would benefit immensely. Any type of service like Hulu or Netflix would work. DirecTV VOD would benefit. P2P would benefit, of course.... Xbox live, or iTunes would benefit, VoIP would benefit.... There are many things that having this much bandwidth would help with that are legal and ethical... It's nice to have options!
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to MooJohn

to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

For a non-business application, what do you do with such a pipe? You can't say you get webpages any faster; you already render them as quickly as possible at 3 mbit.
some pages are heavy with flash nowadays. The buccaneers.com home page for example is 5 MB that's about 15 seconds with 3 mbps. Even on my 10 Mbps connection it takes 5-6 seconds for the page to fully load.
Core0000
Premium Member
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Core0000 to MooJohn

Premium Member

to MooJohn
Personally, I would download a lot more movies over Xboxlive and Tv Series. Well I know movies for sure. Not that many TV series that I can really get into. (I don't have satellite or TV)Just Internet Service.(FireFly rocked, if it hadn't been for xboxlive probably would have never watched it)

I would enjoy Xbox live multi-player a lot more.

Basically I would just spend more time being a media intensive user... I would get things faster. Which I don't have a lot of time to waste waiting for things to finish downloading. So basically less time to download,I could watch three instead of just one movie. When I felt like it.

Less time wasting on downloading would be my personal benefit from FIOS. Even if that is not a great reason I would be willing to pay the cash for it. XD

One more thing I am a very spur of the moment person when it comes to content I find on the internet. So thats just in case any of those "well why don't you just start downloading and leave your pc on overnight" kinda deals. Which I do when feasible.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

I often see xbox live downloads struggle to keep up with my AT&T 6Mbps connection.

Still, I'm feeling quite antiquated on AT&T now .
Core0000
Premium Member
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Core0000

Premium Member

At least you have 6mb..down. I only have a lousy 2.5 megs down, and 384 kbps... up. XP

I have seen Windstream's build out.. in the city I live. As far as the 6mb offering goes. (Green tower like box's) yeah.. I cannot really say there doing all that great at all. Actually there doing lowsy as far as that expansion goes. I understand why the lady on customer services said I had to live right next to the co to get 6mb down.

They have gone about a block one way from the co in one direction, and a block the other way in the opposite direction as far as there expansion goes. And that's it. -_-'

Pisses me off. I actually do understand they need to make an ROI, but these guys need to start thinking a little more long term. *Just whining* XD

David_
La vida es bella
join:2001-01-28
chile

David_

I only have a lousy 1mbps/550kbps cable line!
That`s slow compared to 20/20 fios ....