Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob to golferman7

Premium Member

to golferman7

Re: Which modem should I buy and why?

Are you going to get Comcast Digital Voice with your service as well? That may affect your modem choices.

With no Voice Service as a personal choice I would not get the SB5101. It has a problematic past with Comcast. If you get one it might be flawless or it might not. Based on the things I've read here over the years I'd stay away from that modem. It's not the modem that is at issue but Comcasts lack of technical skills at managing that modem.

Go with the Linksys BEFCMU10 v4.

One other thing to think about purchasing your own modem at this time is Comcast will soon be moving to DOCSIS 3 nationwide. The current modems you are probably looking at are NOT DOCSIS 3 compliant. It may be better at this time to simply rent one from Comcast. After the changeover to DOCSIS 3 you'll get a free replacement. At that time it might be better to think about purchasing a newer modem for yourself.
This is more of a judgment call however.
golferman7
join:2008-06-18

golferman7

said by jbob:

Are you going to get Comcast Digital Voice with your service as well? That may affect your modem choices.

With no Voice Service as a personal choice I would not get the SB5101. It has a problematic past with Comcast. If you get one it might be flawless or it might not. Based on the things I've read here over the years I'd stay away from that modem. It's not the modem that is at issue but Comcasts lack of technical skills at managing that modem.

Go with the Linksys BEFCMU10 v4.

One other thing to think about purchasing your own modem at this time is Comcast will soon be moving to DOCSIS 3 nationwide. The current modems you are probably looking at are NOT DOCSIS 3 compliant. It may be better at this time to simply rent one from Comcast. After the changeover to DOCSIS 3 you'll get a free replacement. At that time it might be better to think about purchasing a newer modem for yourself.
This is more of a judgment call however.
We're not going with Comcast Digital Voice for now, sticking with AT&T. As far as Comcast switching to DOCSIS 3 has Comcast announced an approximate date for the transition?

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

Here is something about the latest official info:
»Comcast Promises 100Mbps By 2010 [122] comments

Guess it will depend on where you live as to how soon it will be available. Already in one market, maybe more. Minneapolis
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Only one problem with that one market- the price is something like $150/month.

To me, a major issue is not when DOCSIS 3.0 will be available, but, rather, when it will be affordable and cost-justifiable.

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR

jbob

Premium Member

And hopefully a DOCSIS 2 modem will still work in a DOCSIS 3 environment just not capable of the higher speeds offered.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum

Premium Member

said by jbob:

And hopefully a DOCSIS 2 modem will still work in a DOCSIS 3 environment just not capable of the higher speeds offered.
it should work.. currently modems that are DOCSIS 1.0 will work - you just will not get the powerboost feature.
golferman7

golferman7 to jbob

to jbob
I was asked if we were going to go with Digital Voice. Well last night my wife told me we can get Comcast Digital Voice for a lot less than we are paying for our AT&T telephone service, the savings would be about $50 a month for one year. Considering that I might consider switching but, are there any downsides to CDV over AT&T's telephone service?

jbob
Premium Member
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

said by golferman7:

I was asked if we were going to go with Digital Voice. Well last night my wife told me we can get Comcast Digital Voice for a lot less than we are paying for our AT&T telephone service, the savings would be about $50 a month for one year. Considering that I might consider switching but, are there any downsides to CDV over AT&T's telephone service?
The only downside I can think of is it's newer technology. I think there might still be some kinks in the system but for the most part it's more than worth it.
I know I have read that they will soon change, at the time Comcast does not offer use of your own eMTA device to be used for CDV. I can't be positive about this however. eMTAs are not like a regular modem in that they provide both services, both data and voice. At present there have been some markets where certain eMTAs will not work at the higher data speeds being offered by Comcast. Some users have resorted to using a regular modem for data and the Comcast eMTA for voice. Basically running 2 modems at the same time with once being used for data only and the other for voice only.
golferman7

golferman7

said by jbob:

said by golferman7:

The only downside I can think of is it's newer technology. I think there might still be some kinks in the system but for the most part it's more than worth it.
I know I have read that they will soon change, at the time Comcast does not offer use of your own eMTA device to be used for CDV. I can't be positive about this however. eMTAs are not like a regular modem in that they provide both services, both data and voice. At present there have been some markets where certain eMTAs will not work at the higher data speeds being offered by Comcast. Some users have resorted to using a regular modem for data and the Comcast eMTA for voice. Basically running 2 modems at the same time with once being used for data only and the other for voice only.
Thanks, appreciate it.