All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ozzyozzie
join:2008-03-29
Evergreen Park, IL

ozzyozzie

Additional fees for bandwidth hogs possible?

I have no idea if they are going to just go after DSL users or u-verse users also. Considering I usually download less than 10MB a month I don't think I'll have to worry about extra fees

»www.thestreet.com/story/ ··· use.html

snip:
AT&T T is considering a surcharge for customers who go above the normal amount of downloaded data on the Internet.

AT&T spokesman Michael Coe says that given the trends the company is seeing, a form of usage-based pricing for those customers who have abnormally high usage patterns is "inevitable."

"Usage-based pricing is one way to deal fairly with Internet usage, which is very uneven among broadband users," he says.

The company's analysis of broadband users shows that a small percentage of customers use a large percentage of total bandwidth. The top 5% of consumer DSL subscribers use 46% of the total bandwidth, while the top 1% of subscribers are using 21% of bandwidth.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

There is no reason they wouldn't do caps/fees for U-verse users. It all feeds into the same AT&T global network and it all uses bandwidth on that network. U-verse VDSL vs. AT&T ADSL is only different in how it connects to the central office.
Enlightener
join:2006-01-28
Cedar Park, TX

Enlightener to ozzyozzie

to ozzyozzie
Knowing AT&T, I predict that the fees will be waived with the purchase of bundled video service.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

said by Enlightener:

Knowing AT&T, I predict that the fees will be waived with the purchase of bundled video service.
I don't know why you say that.

First, there really are no "bundled video services" with AT&T. You do not get a price break because you have more than one service.

Second, what do the two have to do with each other? Just because you have video service, why should AT&T subsidize your 24x7 peer-to-peer transmission of whatever it is you are transmitting?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to ozzyozzie

Premium Member

to ozzyozzie
said by ozzyozzie:

Considering I usually download less than 10MB a month
i think 14.4K dial up will be fine for you
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

lol damn man!!! He might look at that 10mb all at once and leave his computer off the rest of the month for all we know! I personally just want low latency and anywhere from 1.5 to 3.0 service... But who the heck am I :-P

Flippy
@coxomaha.net

Flippy to ozzyozzie

Anon

to ozzyozzie
Sounds like it might only be for DSL. This is from the Uverse main page.

Bandwidth

Bandwidth is how the bits of data sent over a network are measured and delivered into your home, office or anywhere a connection is made. Other terms that are associated with bandwidth are data transfer rate, band and bits per second (bps).
What is it?
The term bandwidth can take on many meanings. In the case of AT&T U-verse products and services, the term bandwidth is commonly used when referring to computer networking and measuring Internet usage.

The amount of Internet usage is displayed in upload and downloads amounts. This would commonly be known as the amount of bandwidth the User used during a particular time. There are some carriers that will limit the amount of "bandwidth" a User can use on a monthly basis before penalizing them. AT&T High Speed Internet U-verse enabled service usage is not limited to a particular size (amount).
alfnoid
MVM
join:2002-02-18

alfnoid

MVM

said by Flippy :

Sounds like it might only be for DSL.
Nope. Uverse is included in this.

The thing is that ATT is saying they are having to increase backbone capacity by 60% each year, but aren't making 60% more profits each year.

Soooooooo.... Any internet service from ATT will be subject to this since they ALL use the same backbone.

Flippy
@sbcglobal.net

Flippy to ozzyozzie

Anon

to ozzyozzie
I question why they would advertise on their new home page for Uverse that they are not going to cap HSI service. In fact they make it a point to mention other carriers are going to cap you while they are not. Where are you getting your information that Uverse is included? I haven't been able to find anything about Uverse being included in the bandwith cap on the net. They only mention the regular DSL service.

Flip

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to ozzyozzie

Premium Member

to ozzyozzie
Looks like my 250-300GB/mo Usenet downloading days are about to come to a screeching halt.
Enlightener
join:2006-01-28
Cedar Park, TX

Enlightener

Between Netflix and MSDN subscriber downloads, I can pull that much traffic a month and it's all legal.