Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni to vicks

MVM

to vicks

Re: Firefox 3 honors Windows Security Zones...

said by vicks :

... Mozilla added this warning just a few days ago with Firefox 3 release. Mozilla is in late!!!!
are you sure? FF 3.0 first version you are using?

Cudni

vicks
@anonymouse.org

vicks

Anon

said by Cudni:

are you sure?
yes I'm sure. All downloads in Firefox 2 are NOT marked with an alternated data stream (Windows Security Zones), so when the user clicks on an exe saved by Firefox 2, no warning is received. This feature is just added only with Firefox 3.0. IE6 has this feature since WinXP SP2 Mozilla is in late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

it is good to be sure, what happens when you click to download .exe in FF 2 ?

Cudni

vicks
@anonymouse.org

vicks

Anon

said by Cudni:

You didn't understand what is Windows Security Zone.
Try these steps:
1. download an exe with Firefox 2
2. save to disk
3. run it
result: when you run it, no warning is shown because the file has not marked by an alternate data stream

Since XP SP2, Internet Explorer 6 marks all downloaded files by an alternate data stream which tells it comes from Internet zone and so Windows shows this warning:

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

said by vicks :

Try these steps:
2. save to disk
3. run it
result: when you run it, no warning is shown because the file has not marked by an alternate data stream

I understood perfectly which is the part you missed

Cudni
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to vicks

Premium Member

to vicks
said by vicks :
said by Cudni:

Try these steps:
2. save to disk
3. run it

Since XP SP2, Internet Explorer 6 marks all downloaded files by an alternate data stream which tells it comes from Internet zone and so Windows shows this warning:

What about those of us who have a Shell extension that removes ALL Alternate Data Streams? I would never allow any ADS on any file. I immediately right click check any file I download for ADS and the extension removes the ADS. Viruses and other crap can hide in ADS. Why would Microsoft be so stupid as to use a known hiding place for malware to mark a file? UGH. (I don't know if the Shell extension works on Vista. I think I will try and see. I have downloaded almost nothing to Vista. I just grab from the network what I need).