share rss forum feed

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

Spray Water on A/C Condenser Unit?

I worked at a place here in Texas where it is extremely hot and I noticed they trained a few lawn sprinklers on their outside condenser units.

The concept is clear to me but my question is this.

Can I decrease my electric bill by spraying water on the outside unit fins?

I should also mention that the cost of water is no object since it is almost free where I live.

Best,

David

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
Go here.

Then, go here. There are 27 pages in that thread. I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to workablob
Read this and this.

Almost the same question as yours with answers.

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC
reply to workablob
Interesting thread.

I was wondering if it would help if the AC units were better shaded, would that help them run better and cooler?

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to workablob
Watering my window A/C brings it's power usage down from over 1000 watts to less than 800. It's supposed to stay full of condensate, but it doesn't collect condensate as fast as it burns it off unfortunately. Not sure if the difference would be as dramatic for a large unit that's actually designed to run dry.

I think I've actually read about a system for commercial A/C systems that would spray water on the condenser automatically when the head pressure gets too high, no clue if such a thing is available for a residential system though.

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
said by Raphion:

Watering my window A/C brings it's power usage down from over 1000 watts to less than 800. It's supposed to stay full of condensate, but it doesn't collect condensate as fast as it burns it off unfortunately. Not sure if the difference would be as dramatic for a large unit that's actually designed to run dry.

I think I've actually read about a system for commercial A/C systems that would spray water on the condenser automatically when the head pressure gets too high, no clue if such a thing is available for a residential system though.
Commercial chiller systems use water towers. There is one manufacturer of residential split system condensing units I'm aware of that uses water. They have a larger version for commercial systems, too.

»www.thermalflow.net

Karride
Slower Traffic Keep Right
Premium
join:2000-04-17
Germantown, TN
reply to workablob
I've often thought it would be cool to try and find a way to use a pump to mist the unit with the condensate coming out of the unit. you probably would not see as much improvement as you would with hooking it up to a water supply, but that way you are not paying for city water to cool the unit.

Dogwood
Premium
join:2001-01-14
Texas

1 edit
reply to workablob
The aluminum fins of the condenser coils will corrode and "melt" away with chlorinated city water sprayed on them regularly.
Edit: The effectiveness will decrease as humidity increases, Houston is usually quite humid.
--
Proud Member of Team Discovery

CKizer
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Tijeras, NM
kudos:2
reply to workablob
The savings will probably not be worth the maintenance issues you will be creating by bringing domestic water into contact with metal and evaporating it on a condensing unit designed for air.
--
Crunching for Help Defeat Cancer and FightAIDS@Home at the World Community Grid.

joeblow4

join:2007-07-14
Knoxville, TN
reply to workablob
If you have access to ice we used to load the middle of the condensor with ice on a problem unit,the only one, in a print shop I worked at. or dribble water over the coils.

wp

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to workablob
said by workablob:

Can I decrease my electric bill by spraying water on the outside unit fins?
I should also mention that the cost of water is no object since it is almost free where I live.
For best results use a high pressure or ultrasonic nozzle to generate mist that completely evaporates. That way corrosion is minimized. However the water should be deionized, or at least very soft or the coil would be covered by scale and loose efficiency.