uniqs

ghostpainter
I Write for the Apocalypse
MVM
join:2002-05-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ghostpainter

MVM

To many firewalls. which one to turn off.

I recently set up a wireless network here at home, and want to know if I should leave the windows XP firewall on or turn it off.

I already have a US Robotics 8002 series router with internal hard wall firewall. connected to it now, is a Belkin range extender/access point connected to 4 PC's using the ad hock properties of XP on three machines and 2000 NT on the 4th via 811.1 g54 wireless adapters. The ad hock system uses an additional windows firewall.

The reason I ask the question is that over that past few days we have losing network connection. Of course that might just be charter doing its thing in the heat, but by the time It is done dropping the connection several times I have to go in and reset the Router connection to the Internet and the other two wireless systems, which is no big deal just annoying especially if someone else is trying to connect in one of the other rooms.

Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

i don't think either firewall are to blame

Cudni

ghostpainter
MVM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ghostpainter

MVM

So you think it is charter too....

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

check the log on the router. what is the wireless security used to connect, WEP or WPA?

Cudni

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob to ghostpainter

Premium Member

to ghostpainter
Is 8002 the right number? I can't find that one on the US Robotics site.

Either way I'd look at the primary connection first. If the router isn't connected through the modem then the AP won't be connected. Do you have computers connected via ethernet to the router?

ghostpainter
MVM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ghostpainter

MVM

Soory, it is a 8003 model

This is how I did the as hock set up.

»www.microsoft.com/window ··· c.mspx#2

Then I followed the Belkin set up guide. The modem is connected to the router, the router is then connected to the PC and another RJ45 eithernet line connects from the router to the access point.

Everything has worked great for about a month till this weekend.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

jbob

Premium Member

Sounds ok. What you need to do is when you're seeing the troubles see if the PC connected directly to the router is also having issues. You can also check the router to ensure it has proper connectivity to the WAN side. That will at least help to rule out any wireless issues.

Question...Why are you running an "ad hoc" network if you have a wireless AP? I may be mistaken here but just using the AP to connect the wireless systems seems much easier to me. But you may have your reasons.

ghostpainter
MVM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ghostpainter

MVM

Running a ad hock network seemed the easiest way to get everything to work considering the USR was wired. I just tried unplugging the wired router from the set up and it wouldn't work. So I plugged everything back in the way it is now, checked the settings and everything is green. I also bought and added a HP wireless printer and added it to the system. The XP ad hock network finds and installs the setup for you.

The WAN does go out but all I have to do is have XP repair and reset the connection and Im back on. Thats why I was wondering about the different firewalls and having to many. I thought that I read some where here that you needed to turn off the windows firewall if running a router with a hard wall firewall.

Thanks for your advice.
ghostpainter

ghostpainter

MVM

I waited a few days just to make sure, but after I turned off the windows firewall and disconnected the other wireless connection that kept going on, my PC's have been working very good, no repairs needed either, cause the system is not going down. Even my outlook express quit freezing up sometimes when it loaded with the anti virus system working.

The only thing I have to do with the ad hock wireless system I have working is to leave my main PC on so that the other PC's can connect to the internet when ever that person wishes.