uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

1 edit

System using 100% CPU

I've got a 2.39GHz AMD Athlon 64 system with 2GB RAM running XP MCE. It's running really slow, so I am trying to clean it up. I deleted all unneeded programs, ran a Spybot scan, and used Ccleaner to get rid of the trash. I notices that SYSTEM is consuming 100% CPU usage all the time. What could be causing this?
--
With every new wave of optimism, or pessimism, we are ready to abandon history, and time tested principles, but we cling tenaciously and unquestioningly to our prejudices. (Benjamin Graham)

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

Open task manager or better yet install microsoft process explorer and see what process is using your resources....

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Sorry, I didn't explain well. In the task manager the process "System" is consuming 100% CPU.

Polska
Czesc, Jak Sie Masz?
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Clifton, NJ
reply to Rexter

Google Process Explorer..its a MS program and see if that gives you more info.
--
Sex is not the answer, it is the question. Yes is the answer!

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Yep, I just downloaded it, but it's going to be an excruciating slow process to install. I'll report back when it's there.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

said by Rexter:

it's going to be an excruciating slow process to install.
that is not good, could you also check eventviewer logs for errors or warnings

Cudni
--
"Mercifully, he hit him with the soft end of the pistol."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2008

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to Rexter

Oh, one piece of information I wanted to include, is this issue is present even in safe mode.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to Rexter

Searching some more, I found this thread. I haven't read all the posts yet, but there are a few things here, I'm gonna try.

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3

said by Rexter:

Searching some more, I found this thread. I haven't read all the posts yet, but there are a few things here, I'm gonna try.
Yes, interesting thread.

Try disabling Microsoft Automatic Updates and see if that makes any difference.
I believe its seeking for or attempting to install or load updates has caused this issue in the past.

Just a thought.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Seems unlikely that Auto Updates is involved.

The 'system' process is for running kernel-mode thread-based activity; this includes driver activities that shouldn't be done at device interrupt level, and stuff such as writing modified pages out to the disk.

My guess you have an insane device or an insane device driver.

Auto Updates is AFAIK mostly user-mode activity, and the 'system' process doesn't have a user mode piece.

Proces Explorer gives a little more info about some of this (but not much).

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Rexter

Do you run any Distributed Computing projects? SETI, Folding, etc? They use 100% when you are not using the PC.

LordLawless

@bellsouth.net
reply to Rexter

I just went through the same issue myself. I have a HP 1410 that had been exhibiting the same symptoms that you describe. I went to HP's driver site and started updating my drivers. As soon as I updated the video driver the problem went away and has not returned.

Good Luck

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

Do you run any Distributed Computing projects? SETI, Folding, etc? They use 100% when you are not using the PC.
But presumably in that case, the CPU use is ascribed to the particular process and not the 'system' process.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by dave:

said by Doctor Olds:

But presumably in that case, the CPU use is ascribed to the particular process and not the 'system' process.
My error. I missed that on first read.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

FDisk
O.O?

join:2003-08-18
Israel
reply to Rexter

Check CPU temperature.
Could be a dead fan or badly seated cooler.
This was the problem on more than half of computers I encountered with 100% CPU problem.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to Rexter

Well thanks for the try guys, but it turns out that I didn't give you enough information to help me find the answer.
There was an issue that I thought was unrelated. USB devices were not recognized by the system. For example, if you plugged in a USB optical mouse, the light wouldn't turn on, and the system ignored it. When I looked at the device manager, all the USB hubs showed no problem. So I thought it was a separate issue that I would address, once I got the system working a little better. After reading through that other thread, I found that USB issues were the cause for some people. I disabled the USB ports in the BIOS, and the problem went away. I think that I may have a H/W issue with the USB controller, but I'm gonna try reinstalling the mainboard drivers.
--
With every new wave of optimism, or pessimism, we are ready to abandon history, and time tested principles, but we cling tenaciously and unquestioningly to our prejudices. (Benjamin Graham)

SSX4life
Hello World
Premium
join:2004-02-13

Sounds like you need a fresh install of windows XP imho.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to Rexter

Turn off and disable Telephony (unless you use it).

go into control panel -> administrative tools -> services.

ive seen telephony cause this exact issue, as well as windows updates background manager.
--
Yes. the cat in my avatar is indeed mine.

KiLLerLiPPz

join:2006-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Rexter

Try going Task Manager then go to PROCESS tab, sort it by CPU usage. You should see the task that is using the highest CPU usage. Most of the time, if it's a non-system task, you can right-click and end the process. Good Luck!

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

He knows already which process was consuming CPU. It's the 'system' process, pid 4.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to SSX4life

You think so. Isn't there just a way to reinstall the USB controller drivers. I don't mean reinstall the device. I mean remove the drivers, as in delete them. Then reinstall the drivers.

I'm actually thinking that it might be a hardware issue. Like the USB controller is on the fritz.
--

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN
reply to dave

said by dave:

He knows already which process was consuming CPU. It's the 'system' process, pid 4.
If you use process explorer it breaks it down even further. But I have also seen an HP system do this and process explorer still didn't reveal what was using the cpu time. But for anyone experiencing this problem, they should still check out process explorer in case it can point out the problem.

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI
reply to Rexter

Well, if you backed up your registry prior to cCleaner being run, you should restore that registry. If that does not work, then you forgot to tell us something.

Reinstalling XP will probably will not help you.

This seems like the point to tell people that if it ain't broke, don't break it, but maybe not...
--
I play darts: »www.triple20dartingsupplies.com | »www.adaoflansing.com
I support unions: www. 1099aldrivers.org www.1039atu.com

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

said by tao:

This seems like the point to tell people that if it ain't broke, don't break it, but maybe not...
Stick with the "maybe not..."

Read the rest of the thread.
--

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

Thank you! Now, about that registry backup file....

You did back up your registry before allowing a program to change it, right?

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Yes, always. The reason that I ran Ccleaner in the first place was because "System" was consuming 99% of the CPU. That would be why the system was running very slowly, as I stated in my OP. So restoring the registry to a point where I had 100% CPU usage would be unproductive. We determined later in the thread that communication with the USB controller was the cause. I tried reinstalling the device, but the system would freeze when I tried to uninstall it in the device manager. I had to disable it in the BIOS. As soon as I enable it, the problem returns. I tried using system restore to take the system to a point previous to when the issue started, but that made no difference. After all this, I suspect I have a H/W problem. The only other thing, I can think of, that I'd like to try, is to delete the USB drivers, and reinstall them, but I don't know how.
--

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA

This is quoted from a Dell help site, I believe. I don't have the link, I just copy & pasted this once to keep for my own reference:

---------------------------------------
USB Emulation:

USB Emulation determines whether the system basic input/output system (BIOS)
controls Universal Serial Bus (USB) keyboards and mice. When On is selected, the system BIOS
controls USB keyboards and mice until a USB driver is loaded by the operating system. When Off is selected (the default), the system BIOS does not control USB keyboards and mice, though they function during the boot routine.
Set USB Emulation to Off if you are using a PS/2-compatible keyboard and mouse.
---------------------------------------

Don't know if that's of any help to you or not.

bcastner
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2002-09-25
Chevy Chase, MD
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to Rexter

There should be no reason to delete the existing USB drivers in place. They can be fully replaced with the newest versions.

I provide complete links to anyone needing to rebuild the USB Stack and other considerations, here:
»aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=28888

Note the following from that article:

Install in this order:

USB Reliability Hotfix -- (Brand new driver set for USB)
»support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918005

USB Driver Performance Update (3/6/2008)
»www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta···yLang=en

If the Hotfixes are not applicable, you will be told.

Best regards,
Bill Castner

--
============
MS-MVP 2004 - -2008, ASAP Member
Users Helping Users

Expand your moderator at work