uniqs
share rss forum feed

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to EPS4

Re: Makes sense

While I don't think that competition is a 'bad' thing, I do think what Verizon is performing is wrong.

If I called Verizon and told them I was going to cancel, I'd almost expect some form of retention offer.

If I went through a porting process to transfer my number to another carrier that I've signed up for service with, then I'd expect Verizon to stay out of my business of porting until its done.

While its fair game to send me info on attempting to win my service, its not 'fair game' to hold my service up from being ported.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

SteveCon
IBEW 2222 Boston, MA
Premium
join:2004-09-02
Boston, MA
I'd be very surprised to learn that VZ "holds up" the port process. Up until a few years ago, I worked in a VZ (Bell Atlantic) CO as a CO Tech. Platform UNE (Unbundled Network Elements) was a big deal and monitored very closely by VZ, CLEC and regulators.

CLEC orders came in a couple of :weeks: in advance of the actual cut over date. There would be an order to check for dial tone & preinstall new crosswire between the new CLEC OE and VZ CP. This was scheduled two days in advance of the actual cut over date. The second order was to perform the actual cut at a very specific date time. When the cut over command came, we'd rechecked all the CLEC OE's for dialtone and if *all* was good, the cut over to CLEC OE began with very stringent time allowances and rules. After the cut, if the CLEC reported no problem with the cut over, the numbers were routed to their switch. The old crosswire between the VZ OE and CP would be removed from the mainframe. If there was an issue, the the entire cut was usually canceled, and we'd have to reconnect the VZ OE to the CP on the mainframe. The CLEC would have to do something at their end that prevented the porting; which would ensure that the number remained routed to the VZ switch to maintain phone service to the customer. You can see, there was plenty of time for marketing for winbacks.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
I actually worked for a company that did 3rd party billing, with ties to all LECs.. regulation is painful at times.
I suspect that VZ may have implemented a process to send a notification to retentions when the initial order is received.
--
Canada = Hollywood North